[GVRD] 75Mbps Internet for $40 No Contract No Data Limit

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2018 12:18 am
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2879 posts
2204 upvotes
GVRD
I am curious to see the peering partners. Can anyone using SurfInternet let me know the one of your IP address? or you can go here https://bgp.he.net/ and let post the ASxxxxx number.

https://bgp.he.net/country/CA shows all the companies that has Internet Routing Registry. See how many transit Shaw, Bell, Telus has compare to Teksavvy, CIK, ebox?

I checked their web page and it is hosted by GoDaddy, that alone gives me the idea that they simply resell some other ISP's services, like Lightspeed, Can-Com who are reselling AEBC/Cipherkey's internet services who doesn't own any of their own equipment etc.

I also Google search their office based on address, I get results of many other non-related companies sharing the same address.. it feels like they don't even have an office, just a mail box....
Sep 15, 2017
4 posts
9 upvotes
Hi,

I work for Surf Internet, and I am very passionate about what we do at Surf. Please I would like to help answer some of the questions which were posted on this thread, and tell you more about us. Again, I am passionate and cannot see these messages without even trying to respond :)

We are passionate about internet services, and we are serious. Our main purpose is to add competition to the market because having only 2 companies offering internet make these incumbents lazy and making lots of money only for their executives and shareholders. When there is no real competitions or voices, the incumbents will not invest in innovations, efficiencies and improvements to reduce their costs, offer us more and better services. They can easily make the money because there is no other option.

At Surf are tying hard to add competition to:
(1) Improve the prices for us, Canadians
(2) improve the technologies and innovations
(3) improve efficiencies to reduce costs

Now, I see people posting about other companies’ services, and i would like to add a few differentiators between us and competitors (BTW: at surf we love competitors because they are helping adding options to all of us).

Differentiators between Surf and other "smaller companies":
1. During installation, we send out technicians to install the internet at your home - Our technician installs the modem and setup the WIFI and check the line to make sure all is working, doing speed tests …etc.

2. If there is an issue (and trust me, these can happen), we diagnose over the phone first, but if we cannot find the root cause, then we again dispatch a technician to diagnose it at your home, to see what is the issue (could be from WIFI, modem, cable line, spliter or connector, node …etc).

3. We are located specifically in Richmond office (near Queensboro Bridge specifically to be in central location in lower mainland - this way when we dispatch our cars, we don’t have to drive a lot — BTW: we use small cars to reduce gas and emission (we have 1 hybrid car too :) )

4. We develop our own technologies for TV and Phone. Our TV services, and apps are fully developed by our engineers here in Canada (it still have a few glitches, but we are improving and will get there and add services which no one else has).

Finally, again, our purpose is to add competition. Please do not be afraid to ask your current internet provider, tell them Surf Internet is selling the services for X price, and get them to match it. This way, we all work harder, improve and innovate to gain your business.

thanks,
Oct 26, 2014
35 posts
6 upvotes
Kelowna
NewJuly2017 wrote: Hi,

I work for Surf Internet, and I am very passionate about what we do at Surf. Please I would like to help answer some of the questions which were posted on this thread, and tell you more about us. Again, I am passionate and cannot see these messages without even trying to respond :)

We are passionate about internet services, and we are serious. Our main purpose is to add competition to the market because having only 2 companies offering internet make these incumbents lazy and making lots of money only for their executives and shareholders. When there is no real competitions or voices, the incumbents will not invest in innovations, efficiencies and improvements to reduce their costs, offer us more and better services. They can easily make the money because there is no other option.

Now, I see people posting about other companies’ services, and i would like to add a few differentiators between us and competitors (BTW: at surf we love competitors because they are helping adding options to all of us).

1. During installation, we send out technicians to install the internet at your home - Our technician installs the modem and setup the WIFI and check the line to make sure all is working, doing speed tests …etc.

2. If there is an issue (and trust me, these can happen), we diagnose over the phone first, but if we cannot find the root cause, then we again dispatch a technician to diagnose it at your home, to see what is the issue (could be from WIFI, modem, cable line, spliter or connector, node …etc).

3. We are located specifically in Richmond office (near Queensboro Bridge specifically to be in central location in lower mainland - this way when we dispatch our cars, we don’t have to drive a lot — BTW: we use small cars to reduce gas and emission (we have 1 hybrid car too :) )

4. We develop our own technologies for TV and Phone. Our TV services, and apps are fully developed by our engineers here in Canada (it still have a few glitches, but we are improving and will get there and add services which no one else has).

Finally, again, our purpose is to add competition. Please do not be afraid to ask your current internet provider, tell them Surf Internet is selling the services for X price, and get them to match it. This way, we all work harder, improve and innovate to gain your business.

thanks,
What if we transfer from Teksavvy, would we still require a technician to come over to install the internet? and what about the modem, are we allowed to use our own from Teksavvy? (Thomson/technicolor DCM475 modem)
Dec 15, 2005
69 posts
8 upvotes

thanks,
I am currently using telus internet and looking to switch provider. Do you provide service in Richmond area?
Dec 19, 2016
21 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
thanks for your interesting background information NewJuly2017. I have been with Surf Internet before for more than a year and never had issues. I am in Vancouver, the only reason i changed is because telus offered me Internet 100/20 for $45 for 12 months. So I can really recommend Surf Internet.

NewJuly2017 I am curious, your TV system, are all the channels in HD? Your pricing is great and the selection slowly gets better.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2027 posts
1989 upvotes
peterchang wrote: I am currently using telus internet and looking to switch provider. Do you provide service in Richmond area?
If you can get Shaw you can get surf. I have their internet 15. $29 a month. Works great. Sometimes it crashes and resets itself but for the price I can't complain at all. no cap and no contract. for people thinking the up front cost is too much, 3-4 months it evens out seeing what your usually paying for Shaw or telus. nice thing is you don't have to call the bloody loyalty department every 6 months. I think I can speak for most people they just want to surf and no worry about costs rising and calling in. It can be stressful if you are tight on cash.
Nov 10, 2003
683 posts
205 upvotes
Richmond
I guess the question is, will they increase the price in couple years?
[OP]
May 11, 2009
434 posts
260 upvotes
Vancouver
For what it's worth, I've had their $40 30 down service for roughly two years, and you can see the same $40 will get you 75 down. Having said that, I still haven't pulled the trigger to pay the upfront cost to upgrade (new modem, and plan change fee).

One thing I wish they kept doing was renting modems. Looking back on my order, my modem is rented, and I paid a deposit. Now it's buy-your-own-modem, which I don't like as much.
Dec 19, 2016
21 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
headhunt3r wrote: For what it's worth, I've had their $40 30 down service for roughly two years, and you can see the same $40 will get you 75 down. Having said that, I still haven't pulled the trigger to pay the upfront cost to upgrade (new modem, and plan change fee).

One thing I wish they kept doing was renting modems. Looking back on my order, my modem is rented, and I paid a deposit. Now it's buy-your-own-modem, which I don't like as much.
I agree with you, i like the free rental i had more, not a big fan of buying my own modem, kind of holds me back from being a return customer.
Jul 30, 2013
13 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey
Seems like I should jump on this deal... haven't heard any horrible horror stories about these guys yet..?

Family is currently paying $80 for 75 up with Shaw, I'm lookin' to help save my family some money.
Jul 30, 2013
13 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey
How is the ping on 75mb?

I'm currently around 10ms with Shaw.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3082 posts
2144 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

thanks,
Hi, is the Thomson DCM475 compatible with the 75/7Mbps plan? if not, what modem do you provide?
Last edited by AsianXL on Sep 19th, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $43/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2879 posts
2204 upvotes
GVRD

thanks,
Are you operated as a wholesaler or as an ISP?

Either way, if you can provide me with your AS Number so that I can research your company more before making a decision?

Thanks
Sep 15, 2017
4 posts
9 upvotes
Wow, I did not expect all of these questions :)

I hope i can help answer as many as possible:

1. Yes ofcourse, we have services in Richmond BC.

2. We operate as an ISP (not only just a shaw re-seller); to proof it, we are working on projects to add FTTB :)

3. For question: How is the ping on 75mb? -> please tell me the server which you want to test the ping to

4. The modem questions (about buying vs. renting): we only sell the modems, we do not rent or take deposits for them. This is how we see it (this is just our point of view and I don’t mean anything bad — ):

a. Renting is a rip off; any company who rents out anything, for sure have done their calculation 100 times to ensure that whatever they are renting, they will cover its cost and make much more money from it very quickly. Some like to hide in the rent, things like shipping, some use security deposit which they use in the business cash flow to buy more ... etc. Trust me, with time, we go back and see that renting costs more than simply owning the equipment.

b. When a customer calls and there is an issue, we work with the customer to find the root cause. If the issue is in the modem we don't wait. In same business day, we just go out (drive out to the customer's home) to replace it right away (sometimes we replace it with different brand, if we ran out of the same brand the customer has). Sometimes if we cannot find any root cause, we just blame the modem and replace it anyways to see if it is the root cause. It makes our life much simpler because this modem was bought from us, and we fully warranty it.

c. We can easily make our price for the monthly services very very clear, what we write on the website is exactly matching the bills, no asterisks or unclear points about modems or anything else!

d. It makes our accounting very simple with no huge accounts payable (for modem deposits) or modems/equipment to try to collect back from customers (keeps our cost down)

5. We have a very strict rule, we do not negotiate with new customers or try to cut prices to gain new customers. If there is a discount or any possibility to cut our prices, we will do it, and give the discount or price cut to our current customer first. We absolutely hate the idea of giving discounts to new customers just to gain their business on the cost of our current customers, if there is a discount, it will be given to our current customers first.

6. We waive the installation fees or moving fees for customers who pre-pay 1 year. If for any reason the customer needs to disconnect before the end of the year (for example, if they are moving out of the country or for any other reason), we simply deduct the moving fees ($85) and 5% of the total amount and refund the rest of year back. Again, we are very strict with these rules to ensure that our costs are as low as possible to ensure the prices are as low as possible. Again our purpose is to add competition, not simply match whats out there.

thanks,
Jul 30, 2013
13 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey
Thanks for coming back and responding to our questions.

I'm not sure exactly what to tell you in order to specify a server for you but if you could test the 75mbps ping for a Vancouver, BC or Surrey Central server that'd be great.
NewJuly2017 wrote: Wow, I did not expect all of these questions :)

2. We operate as an ISP (not only just a shaw re-seller); to proof it, we are working on projects to add FTTB :)

3. For question: How is the ping on 75mb? -> please tell me the server which you want to test the ping to

4. The modem questions (about buying vs. renting): we only sell the modems, we do not rent or take deposits for them. This is how we see it (this is just our point of view and I don’t mean anything bad — ):

a. Renting is a rip off; any company who rents out anything, for sure have done their calculation 100 times to ensure that whatever they are renting, they will cover its cost and make much more money from it very quickly. Some like to hide in the rent, things like shipping, some use security deposit which they use in the business cash flow to buy more ... etc. Trust me, with time, we go back and see that renting costs more than simply owning the equipment.

b. When a customer calls and there is an issue, we work with the customer to find the root cause. If the issue is in the modem we don't wait. In same business day, we just go out (drive out to the customer's home) to replace it right away (sometimes we replace it with different brand, if we ran out of the same brand the customer has). Sometimes if we cannot find any root cause, we just blame the modem and replace it anyways to see if it is the root cause. It makes our life much simpler because this modem was bought from us, and we fully warranty it.

c. We can easily make our price for the monthly services very very clear, what we write on the website is exactly matching the bills, no asterisks or unclear points about modems or anything else!

d. It makes our accounting very simple with no huge accounts payable (for modem deposits) or modems/equipment to try to collect back from customers (keeps our cost down)

5. We have a very strict rule, we do not negotiate with new customers or try to cut prices to gain new customers. If there is a discount or any possibility to cut our prices, we will do it, and give the discount or price cut to our current customer first. We absolutely hate the idea of giving discounts to new customers just to gain their business on the cost of our current customers, if there is a discount, it will be given to our current customers first.

6. We waive the installation fees or moving fees for customers who pre-pay 1 year. If for any reason the customer needs to disconnect before the end of the year (for example, if they are moving out of the country or for any other reason), we simply deduct the moving fees ($85) and 5% of the total amount and refund the rest of year back. Again, we are very strict with these rules to ensure that our costs are as low as possible to ensure the prices are as low as possible. Again our purpose is to add competition, not simply match whats out there.

thanks,
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3082 posts
2144 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
NewJuly2017 wrote: Wow, I did not expect all of these questions :)

thanks,
Will the Thomson Dcm475 modem work with your 75/7.5mbps plan? Thanks!
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $43/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
[OP]
May 11, 2009
434 posts
260 upvotes
Vancouver
Glad to see Surf on here... hope they don't disappear when questions get hard to answer.

My concern with buying a modem is that it breaks past the warranty period (1 year), and I'm forced to shell out another $120 for a modem. How would Surf help out in that situation?

Also, I've inquired about bringing in my own modem (even matching model), but was told Surf would charge me $100+ to load "software" onto the modem. What proprietary software is loaded on from Surf? Why is this necessary? Why is the cost to flash that software so expensive?