None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14080 posts
9296 upvotes
Think of the Childre…

GYM - Muscle Shock

Who here muscle shocks? As in lifting really heavy shocking your muscles to stimulate growth. Do you find this method effective?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
4 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46358 posts
9370 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
This is common for anyone involved in athletics.
So yes... It works and it is effective. But only with proper diet, technique, routine (that fits your goals), and rest.

My routine is power lifting. I only do 3-5 exercises. (and variations of them).
Bench, Dead, Squat, Rows (sometimes biceps... BUt not much).

I don't get very toned... But I maintain size and increase strength. So I'm happy... I have a Dad's bod, but with a more built upper body. But it doesn't look like it with my clothes on. But people do compliment me on my guns when the tank tops come out!

But absolutely shock your muscles.

Try lifting weights so damn heavy... you can only do 1 rep. Or so heavy that you can only do 2-3... That is my favourite. Then I do 10 sets of those.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8309 posts
1889 upvotes
Ontario
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Who here muscle shocks? As in lifting really heavy shocking your muscles to stimulate growth. Do you find this method effective?
Anyone who does resistance training is "shocking" their muscles. It's not some bro science mechanism of what works and what doesn't. The mechanism by which your muscles grow is stress/recovery/adaptation. It's the same for everyone.

If the stress is too high (intensity, duration, or frequency) the body may be unable to adequately adapt. So, in that case, it wouldn't be effective.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1042 posts
223 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Stress Adaptation Syndrome.. Read up on it. By Hans Seyle.