Fitness and Nutrition

Are gyms allowing members to keep their memberships suspended even after they re-open?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 9:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1730 posts
2632 upvotes

Are gyms allowing members to keep their memberships suspended even after they re-open?

Gyms in Toronto have not re-opened yet, but even when they do, I probably won't be going back until a vaccine is available. I'd prefer to just keep my membership suspended until then, rather than cancel and re-join later.

In places where gyms have re-opened, has anyone tried to ask for this? My membership is at Crunch Fitness, but I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences at any other gym chains too.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31908 posts
18912 upvotes
Toronto
My guess is they will work with you on the request, rather than having to refund you any $ which they don't have anyway due to the shut down.

For my gym (LA fitness), I will ask what option(s) do I have and go from there. For me, I had prepaid for 12 months and should be entitled to receive March-July (4.5 months at min. of refund) and I would like to get that money back and then just finish off my term.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16783 posts
12014 upvotes
Toronto
Goodlife is allowing members to put memberships on hold.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1430 posts
989 upvotes
Toronto
goodlife is only allowing holds on memberships for 3 months from the time your home gym opens. Once your home gym opens, the clock begins. So you need to go to the website and put it on freeze or call them.

I do find it odd that its ONLY 3 months. With the scale back of the hours, and limited 1 hour time slots, (no towels etc), if they cant provide for the service i paid for, then I should be able to freeze my membership until they can.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1349 posts
826 upvotes
submalst wrote: goodlife is only allowing holds on memberships for 3 months from the time your home gym opens. Once your home gym opens, the clock begins. So you need to go to the website and put it on freeze or call them.

I do find it odd that its ONLY 3 months. With the scale back of the hours, and limited 1 hour time slots, (no towels etc), if they cant provide for the service i paid for, then I should be able to freeze my membership until they can.
Mine shows freezing up to Oct 15th, which is less than 3 months. I prepaid for 1 year if that makes a difference. But yea they are still charging the same amount for half the service.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1430 posts
989 upvotes
Toronto
n0thing wrote: Mine shows freezing up to Oct 15th, which is less than 3 months. I prepaid for 1 year if that makes a difference. But yea they are still charging the same amount for half the service.
Did you initiate the freeze before your home gym opened?
My understanding was the gym memberships would be "active" when your home gym reopened (not just when it was announced to be re-opened but the day of re-opening itself).
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1349 posts
826 upvotes
submalst wrote: Did you initiate the freeze before your home gym opened?
My understanding was the gym memberships would be "active" when your home gym reopened (not just when it was announced to be re-opened but the day of re-opening itself).
Yes I froze it until Oct 15th, but really I'm looking to cancel and get a partial refund.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2014
1089 posts
966 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yeah just froze mine until Oct 15th. The vaccine won't be out by then, so I guess at least that's 2 and a half months to see how things get. It'll probably get worse tbh with winter starting at that time. I'll cancel then

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)