Hot Deals

[H-Mart] Live Spot Prawns @ $14.98 / lb (BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2020 6:42 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
12487 posts
2006 upvotes
delay sign in port coq location as well
Feb 27, 2003
490 posts
180 upvotes
Langley
Magoomba wrote: Um, we just stick them live into boiling water. Same as how lobsters are done.
Face Screaming In Fear

Poor little baby lobsters..🥺

(Not judging, cause they are yummy! ;)
Xphile. (as in 'X-files aficionado'..so yeah, I guess I am old..)
Nov 25, 2011
26 posts
38 upvotes
Coquitlam
OOS in Coquitlam location at 4:30pm
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1678 posts
1473 upvotes
Maple Ridge
ehhhwik wrote: OOS in Coquitlam location at 4:30pm
If their biggest store is OOS, there is zero hope for the rest
Dec 19, 2006
596 posts
517 upvotes
Vancouver
xphile wrote: But these are still alive. How do you..umm.. make them ready to cook?

frozen seems like it would be easier.
They're best tasting when cooked live. When spot prawns die, they release an enzyme that basically turns their body mushy the longer they are dead. If you're not going to eat them right away, you can prep them by twisting off the head from the tail, then washing the tail clean. Then store the tail on some ice in a colder spot in your refrigerator. But even then, they should be consumed within a few hours, and up to a day after at the most. You can use the heads to make some wonderful broth, or do other things with them.
Aug 18, 2003
645 posts
155 upvotes
Terrace
it's a lot less cruel and easy to just put them in the freezer for 20 mins or so - like lobsters/crabs. Zeros out their nerve endings so they don't feel as much pain. That's the least we can do as we are eating them.
in theory there is no difference between theory and practice - in practice there is
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
1614 posts
1050 upvotes
qpoqpo wrote: Richmond Hmart sold out. I was there at around 3:30pm. They said they would restock tomorrow morning.
Hmm.... I want spot prawns but do I really want to rush to Aberdeen in the morning to get some?...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
12487 posts
2006 upvotes
try fisherman’s wharf Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
ehhhwik wrote: OOS in Coquitlam location at 4:30pm
did they actually come and OOS? was there at their open time and it was delayed
Last edited by BestOffer on Jun 6th, 2020 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM if you are going to purchase S.E.X.Y 😂
Aug 5, 2009
391 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone checked the downtown Robson location? When were they sold out? So odd that the lobster deal not in the Richmond location. That's the closest store to me!

Looking to buy some tmr
Oct 14, 2017
832 posts
646 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote: Hmm.... I want spot prawns but do I really want to rush to Aberdeen in the morning to get some?...
If its anything like the FoodyWorld in Richmond last year I expect a long lineup.
May 23, 2020
51 posts
23 upvotes
Charles wrote: it's a lot less cruel and easy to just put them in the freezer for 20 mins or so - like lobsters/crabs. Zeros out their nerve endings so they don't feel as much pain. That's the least we can do as we are eating them.
Thank you
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1245 posts
143 upvotes
Nancy604 wrote: Oh that's a good deal. We bought some live prawns at T&T today for $16.99 and thought that was a really good price. Might have to check out H-Mart tomorrow.
Which t and t was that? Kingsway Vancouver didnt get stock today. Neither did some seafood shops and H marts. Wasted trips
Penalty Box
Feb 23, 2004
4692 posts
1270 upvotes
A local meat and seafood shop was supposed to be selling them tomorrow (Saturday, and unsure of price), and they said it was cancelled due to problems with supply.
May 25, 2020
48 posts
41 upvotes
BC
jon604 wrote: Which t and t was that? Kingsway Vancouver didnt get stock today. Neither did some seafood shops and H marts. Wasted trips
It was the one in Surrey at Central City Shopping Centre. The one on 152ST and 100 Ave wasn't on sale.