• Dec 13th, 2020 1:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2091 posts
2033 upvotes

H-Mart, watch out for their soon to expire sales items

I saw instant rice on their flyer this week, 12pk box for $9.99
Pretty handy for those days I come home to empty rice cooker.
I stop by to pick up couple of boxes, all the boxes are marked best before Jan 2 2021.....

I see this so often at Hmart, especially with instant noodles, huge sale on Nonshim ramen, expiring in couple of months....
6 replies
Apr 1, 2004
406 posts
246 upvotes
Richmond, BC
that’s why you check exp date before you buy it....
(or is that a purely asian thing....?)

it’s not strictly an hmart thing, all grocery stores are the same for things that don’t sell well
sueprstore too, already expired and still on shelf
Oct 10, 2020
566 posts
306 upvotes
Dreamrider wrote: I saw instant rice on their flyer this week, 12pk box for $9.99
Pretty handy for those days I come home to empty rice cooker.
I stop by to pick up couple of boxes, all the boxes are marked best before Jan 2 2021.....

I see this so often at Hmart, especially with instant noodles, huge sale on Nonshim ramen, expiring in couple of months....

Those are "best before" dates not "expiration" dates.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1291 posts
1294 upvotes
the2ndme wrote: Those are "best before" dates not "expiration" dates.
There's a huge difference in best before dates and expiry dates and it still baffles me that so many people confuse the two so much. That rice with the best before date of Jan 2 2021 is still going to be good 6 months past that date if not longer because it's... rice.
My wife is guilty of this as well. She would think that rice magically went bad at 12:01am on Jan 2nd and wouldn't touch it.

The best before date is simply the date that the manufacturer guarantees that there is no loss of taste or quality before that date. Some things will lose some quality shortly after that date, others will have virtually no detectable taste or quality difference well beyond that date. Rice being one of those things, same with pasta canned foods etc

The best before date is in no way an indication that a product is "bad" as of that date. There's already a built in buffer for those dates anyways on most things. Some items get manufactured and slapped with a best before date 18 months down the road. I would eat rice with a best before date from a year ago and not even bat an eye. However, things like bread can have a noticeable decline in taste and quality even before those best before dates arrive
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2091 posts
2033 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: There's a huge difference in best before dates and expiry dates and it still baffles me that so many people confuse the two so much. That rice with the best before date of Jan 2 2021 is still going to be good 6 months past that date if not longer because it's... rice.
My wife is guilty of this as well. She would think that rice magically went bad at 12:01am on Jan 2nd and wouldn't touch it.

The best before date is simply the date that the manufacturer guarantees that there is no loss of taste or quality before that date. Some things will lose some quality shortly after that date, others will have virtually no detectable taste or quality difference well beyond that date. Rice being one of those things, same with pasta canned foods etc

The best before date is in no way an indication that a product is "bad" as of that date. There's already a built in buffer for those dates anyways on most things. Some items get manufactured and slapped with a best before date 18 months down the road. I would eat rice with a best before date from a year ago and not even bat an eye. However, things like bread can have a noticeable decline in taste and quality even before those best before dates arrive
item in question is pre-cooked rice.
anyway, just a heads up to always check the dates when shopping at Hmart
They are only grocery store I see this all the time, it's not just one item on the shelf that's marked down, it's whole skid, multiple stores, on national flyer.
It's as if they bought a container load of an product, soon to hit best before, at low price.
I once bought a Nongshim ramen, nearing best before, on sale from Hmart, as soon as I opened the bag, I could smell the stale noodle.
Instant noodles are deep fried noodles, if not fresh, they smell like old cooking oil.
Feb 1, 2008
767 posts
34 upvotes
if im not mistaken for hmart, usually if they have put up a light blue sign to show it's on sale, it usually refers to being on clearance and close to their best-before date. they sometimes write the date on the sign as well, which would match up to the best-before date on the product.

it's different from their dark blue or yellow signs, which are their weekly flyer sales.
Oct 9, 2011
630 posts
253 upvotes
I always buy near-expiry/best before date junk food from T&T at heavily discounted price :p Bought Japanese matcha kitkat for $2 a bag (reg. price $5.99) last month with best before date 2020.12

Thought all grocery stores do that