Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Freebies

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

File your taxes online for free, for everyone

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2016 8:33 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville

File your taxes online for free, for everyone

Deal Link:
Price:
Free
Savings:
100% off
H&R Block is allowing everyone to do their taxes online for free this year. I've used H&R online for the last 2 years, and had no problem with it at all (though my returns are pretty simple). The only thing is, it seems like this year you can't import last year's data for some reason. I think they might have changed up the software again this year, and maybe you just can't import. Whatever, for free I'm not going to complain.

I did do a search and couldn't find this posted, but feel free to delete if I missed something (also, not sure if this should be here or in Freebies, but nobody ever visits Freebies).
ABSOLUTELY $0

H&R Block´s FREE is Truly Free.

Is your Online Tax Software really free?
Yes. We're helping all Canadians file their taxes for free this year. It doesn't matter what your tax situation is or how many returns you need to file.

Why are you giving away free online tax software when nobody else is?
We all know that we have to pay for the tax expertise we receive when we see a tax professional or an accountant, but we believe that if you're doing your taxes yourself, it should be free.
83 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1597 posts
1455 upvotes
That's if they get nefile certified...been waiting weeks to be able to actually file my return.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
slayerwulf wrote: That's if they get nefile certified...been waiting weeks to be able to actually file my return.
I think the odds of H&R Block, of all companies, getting denied their netfile certification are precisely 0%.
Oct 18, 2006
115 posts
74 upvotes
will be interesting to compare with simpletax and see which one is better.. i like simpletax so far though.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1597 posts
1455 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I think the odds of H&R Block, of all companies, getting denied their netfile certification are precisely 0%.
I am aware they will get it eventually the question is when. It's a hassle to have to keep logging in to see if it is certified yet or not.
Jun 27, 2012
126 posts
72 upvotes
Calgary
They probably lost lots of (potential) clients last year when they launched the latest online software release which, at least for me, didn't work when I need it.

Edit: another thing with these tax return online services is that you need to stick with the same provider if you need previous year data; I do not believe there's a way to save the data like on the desktop versions.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1708 posts
697 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I prefer a desktop version of tax software. I do not like using online proprietary software which forces me to use their program to access my personal data. I use U file for example and I generate a PDF every year and it's great.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
selinis wrote: They probably lost lots of (potential) clients last year when they launched the latest online software release which, at least for me, didn't work when I need it.

Edit: another thing with these tax return online services is that you need to stick with the same provider if you need previous year data; I do not believe there's a way to save the data like on the desktop versions.
I can't recall if H&R Block let me import 2012's data last year, but I know that with whichever company I was using before H&R (Quicktax, maybe?) I could import my previous year's data.

Having said that, it's not really a huge deal for me, at least, I can pull up last year's assessment from the CRA website any way and that's pretty much all the info I need from last year.
Dec 25, 2006
83 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
I think last year, it took until Feb 24th till they were certified with netfile. This year I used StudioTax, since it's already certified and free, and I want my return earlier
Apr 13, 2017
183 posts
227 upvotes
Winnipeg
wearysky wrote: I think the odds of H&R Block, of all companies, getting denied their netfile certification are precisely 0%.
I'd probably say they have a high likely hood, any tax return done by them is looked over more heavily by CRA. They also have the highest audit rate of any tax prep company in Canada
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3784 posts
2780 upvotes
Airdrie
nemesis1877 wrote: I think last year, it took until Feb 24th till they were certified with netfile. This year I used StudioTax, since it's already certified and free, and I want my return earlier
+1. I've used StudioTax for years.

http://www.studiotax.com/en/
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
RobertL059 wrote: I'd probably say they have a high likely hood, any tax return done by them is looked over more heavily by CRA. They also have the highest audit rate of any tax prep company in Canada
Tax return done using their software? Or done by the monkeys that work in their offices? Because I wouldn't trust those dummies farther than I could throw them.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
Anyone having trouble with logging in? I go to my online site and apparently there is some security question and I can't really remember what my answer is, the weird thing is I put in the answer I think it is it kicks me back to the login screen but if I put some other answer in it tells me it is wrong and keeps me on that page.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
3421 posts
1356 upvotes
RobertL059 wrote: I'd probably say they have a high likely hood, any tax return done by them is looked over more heavily by CRA. They also have the highest audit rate of any tax prep company in Canada
How do you know that?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
3215 posts
1264 upvotes
Ajax
I just did mine on their site (can't file yet) but can't find anywhere to enter rent or apply for the Trillium Benefit. What am I missing?
Sep 14, 2013
7 posts
Welland
I've tried to file my taxes with H&R Block last year and they kept telling me it would be one more week until they got certified. Well that week came and I just got the same response from them. I got tired of waiting and went to the Turbotax site and got it done there. This year seems to be a repeat of last year, so I am done with H&R Block altogether
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
Cjohnson202 wrote: I just did mine on their site (can't file yet) but can't find anywhere to enter rent or apply for the Trillium Benefit. What am I missing?
What's the trillium benefit?
Sep 14, 2013
7 posts
Welland
ar2020 wrote: Page not found?
Must be an error on your browser's part. It explains about the Trillium Benefit. Basically, the Trillium Benefit is a tax credit from the Ontario Government.

I pasted and copied from that page:

Ontario Trillium Benefit
The Ontario Trillium Benefit helps people pay for energy costs, and provides relief for sales and property tax.

The Ontario Trillium Benefit combines the following:

Ontario Sales Tax Credit
Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit, and
Northern Ontario Energy Credit.

Do I qualify?
You need to be eligible for at least one of the Ontario Sales Tax Credit, Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit, or Northern Ontario Energy Credit to receive the Ontario Trillium Benefit.

Tax credit calculator: see if you qualify for the Ontario Trillium Benefit and how much you could get.

How do I get the Ontario Trillium Benefit?
You need to file your personal income tax and benefit return (return), even if you don't have any income to report:

Include a completed ON-BEN Application for the Ontario Trillium Benefit and the Ontario Senior Homeowners' Property Tax Grant, which is part of your return
Based on the information provided when you file your tax return, the Canada Revenue Agency will determine your eligibility and tell you if you are entitled to receive the credit.
The Canada Revenue Agency issues the Ontario Trillium Benefit payments on behalf of the province.

You must apply for the Ontario Trillium Benefit every year, as your eligibility can change from year to year because of changes in income, age, where you live and your family status.

Download the ON-BEN Application form for the Ontario Trillium Benefit and the Ontario Senior Homeowners' Property Tax Grant

Get your General Income Tax and Benefit package from the Canada Revenue Agency

When will I receive my money?
For the 2015 benefit year, if you qualify for:

more than $360, you will have a choice between monthly payments starting July 2015 or a single payment at the end of the benefit year (i.e., June 2016). You get the same total amount regardless of which option you choose.
$360 or less, you will receive a single payment in July 2015. If your entitlement is greater than $2 but less than $10, it will be increased to $10.
$2 or less, you will not receive a payment.
Filing your return on or before the normal filing deadline of April 30th will ensure you receive your Ontario Trillium Benefit payments on time. If you file late, you will still receive the Ontario Trillium Benefit but your payment(s) may be delayed.