Expired Hot Deals

H & R Block tax software $5.52 all in for up to 10 returns

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2014 8:49 pm
Apr 28, 2012
956 posts
333 upvotes
QC
It looks like HR Block's software for tax 2013 is no longer based on the UFile engine. I just tried their online version and it is less user friendly than the UFile version and the interview process omits to ask certain important questions (especially those related to Quebec income) which could lead to missing to enter certain income or deduction info.
Mar 7, 2002
963 posts
136 upvotes
UFile2013 wrote: Hi everybody,

The new H&R Block software is not the same as it was in previous years. It used to indeed be very similar to UFile but it's not the case anymore.

To give you a chance to see how easy and reliable UFile really is, we offer our software for half the price to users of H&R Block At Home ® and TurboTax ®.

To learn how to save 50% on the cost of your UFile for Windows 2013, please consult the following link:

http://www.drtax.ca/en/UFile/news/curre ... ntoff.aspx
kmahon5 wrote: What about importing H and R from former years-- it mentions from other programs but not last years return from H & R software. Cant see how to do that in the current software! arrggghhh
runningarrow wrote: The Ufile software is as dated as their website in my opinion. I only have to file one tax return, and with H&R it's free. I may as well give their software a shot for that price!
What's with all the new posters? I'd take some of the comments with a grain of salt. At least the Ufile2013 one is somewhat being transparent that they could be related to the product/company.
Jan 23, 2008
26 posts
I'm wondering if H&R have an RRSP contribution tool?
Turbo tax has a great tool to allow me to slide a scale and show exactly how much a contribution will impact my tax owing.. This is the main reason I enter in my tax info before February ends.

This will force my hand to use Turbo, and reward them even if it is more expensive.. Is it just harder to find in their site?

Please let me know asap if you know a way, as I have to find out how much RRSP to contribute in the next few days
[OP]
Dec 21, 2012
375 posts
278 upvotes
Winnipeg
bich_d wrote: I'm wondering if H&R have an RRSP contribution tool?
Turbo tax has a great tool to allow me to slide a scale and show exactly how much a contribution will impact my tax owing.. This is the main reason I enter in my tax info before February ends.

This will force my hand to use Turbo, and reward them even if it is more expensive.. Is it just harder to find in their site?

Please let me know asap if you know a way, as I have to find out how much RRSP to contribute in the next few days
Just checked and it doesn't have a sliding scale for RRSP contributions. But you could fill in all your other info then just change amounts in the RRSP deduction box and see what the difference is as it will automatically update the final amount of refund or balance owing. Besides you can try it for free so there's really nothing to use and if you don't like it then you can buy Turbo Tax. Everyone seems to have their personal preference come tax time.
Jan 13, 2005
837 posts
77 upvotes
Montreal
There is no way to import prior infos from previous years from other softwares.
I say that for a newcomer to the field, that's a no-win.

I have tried it, it seem a bit more complete than ufile, but a bit more complicated too. The interface is really crappy.
Oct 28, 2009
267 posts
26 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I'm not impressed. I will probably just end up eating the $6 and going back to ufile. The interface is garbage.
[OP]
Dec 21, 2012
375 posts
278 upvotes
Winnipeg
Well after using H&R Block for the past 4 or 5 years I am finally going to find something else. They new interface this year is totally user unfriendly. It used to be very easy to use but they changed everything and it is really crappy. I downloaded Studio Tax, which I had previously found a little harder to use and found it easier to use than the new H&R Block software. I don't know why they changed it so drastically but they have now lost a customer and I'm probably not the only one judging by this years offering. Too bad as I used to really like their product. I would now NOT recommend this software to anyone.
Sep 23, 2010
4 posts
Vancouver, BC
Unbelievable! Wish I'd read this forum earlier. You can't carry forward anything from last year's return to this year. Been using this software for several years, and it has been ok. Then suddenly, out of the blue, it turns out that you can't import last year's data. This is not mentioned on the website, in the email offering this year's edition, or even in the software itself! And the interface is horrible. Tiny font which can't be adjusted. Wasted a lot of time chasing down this issue. And Customer Service can't confirm that next year's edition will be able to carry forward the returns from this year! AVOID this software!