Hacking a Sunbeam heating pad???

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2021 1:58 pm
[OP]
Feb 22, 2009
190 posts
41 upvotes

Hacking a Sunbeam heating pad???

I bought a Sunbeam model 721 heating pad at CTC. It has an "auto-off" feature, which must have been designed by Satan. It simply shuts the thing off after two hours. I can perhaps understand such a feature if it had an on-off switch or over-ride switch, but no, it just shuts off, so sleeping with the thing on LOW is pointless after is shuts off. If I can find one [another brand] without that feature, I'll buy I but I'm wondering it it is possible to hack the control and over-ride the 2-hour control. If anyone here knows about such controls and can point me in the right direction, please do.
Thank you.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6802 posts
3091 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I wouldn't. That pad is made for warming when you're awake (or supposed to), not a sleeping electric blanket. Get the proper one; they have 10 hr-off cycle.
This therapeutic heating pad helps arthritic pain and everyday muscle aches fade away. Soothe and relieve discomfort with even, consistent heat to help treat the areas where aches occur. 3 settings provide a choice of intensity for personalized therapy. Includes a 2-hour auto-off and a convenient extra long power cord.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
May 29, 2017
270 posts
200 upvotes
Respect the design. Its most likely designed that way for safety purposes, but if anyhting make sure you check the spec sheets on the other components if they are able to run at that capacity.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19562 posts
28487 upvotes
ONTARIO
razorboy wrote: Thank you.

Yes, they would definitely disown me, like any hack I suppose.
I am not sure if it'll work on your model, but one of the comments on that page seemed to have an easy solution that doesn't involve opening it up and modifying the circuitry
Buy one of those cheap programmable timers that you plug into an outlet that will power a device off and on on a schedule. Set up the schedule to be every 115 minutes or so.
That way it keeps turning back on and resetting the 2 hour limit.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2009
190 posts
41 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: I am not sure if it'll work on your model, but one of the comments on that page seemed to have an easy solution that doesn't involve opening it up and modifying the circuitry
Buy one of those cheap programmable timers that you plug into an outlet that will power a device off and on on a schedule. Set up the schedule to be every 115 minutes or so.
That way it keeps turning back on and resetting the 2 hour limit.
Thank you. I see the point. I'll give that a try. I think that I have such a timer somewhere in the house.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1470 posts
512 upvotes
Ottawa
In case you are not aware, even at the medium temperature (around 138F) is enough to *cook* a steak given enough time. If you hack the auto-off and someone didn't know set it to medium or high and then sleep on it for the whole night, breakfast will be ready on the bed when he wake up.