• Mar 9th, 2020 6:07 pm
[OP]
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
739 upvotes
Ontario

Had main water valve replaced but they left the old one also

Basically we wanted to be proactive and have our main water shutoff valve replaced with a ball valve rather than gate valve. The plumber came over today and installed the ball valve but also left the gate valve. Is this normal? Will it cause any issues down the road?
Images
  • 20200302_183650.jpg
53 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5115 posts
2529 upvotes
Copper1212 wrote: Basically we wanted to be proactive and have our main water shutoff valve replaced with a ball valve rather than gate valve. The plumber came over today and installed the ball valve but also left the gate valve. Is this normal? Will it cause any issues down the road?
Wow, that is hack. Don’t hire that lazy plumber again. Valve shouldn’t be a problem for a while so long as you leave it undisturbed so long as the plumber didn’t cook it when he soldered the new one
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Nov 6, 2014
661 posts
986 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
It can be another source of failure but the position he put it in is good. Should the gate fail, you can use the ball valve to shut off and repair the gate valve. But having two can be a safe guard if the ball value has a slow leak.

Hope this helps.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
739 upvotes
Ontario
fordmaple wrote: It can be another source of failure but the position he put it in is good. Should the gate fail, you can use the ball valve to shut off and repair the gate valve. But having two can be a safe guard if the ball value has a slow leak.

Hope this helps.
Yeah I was wondering that also. We essentially have a backup shutoff but also something else that could cause an issue, that's why I'm unsure if this is a good or bad thing. They replaced some other gate valves with ball valves and removed the gate valves in those cases.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3743 posts
1431 upvotes
Weird that they did it that way, did you pay to get the water shut off at the curb?
[OP]
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
739 upvotes
Ontario
Squirrel99 wrote: Weird that they did it that way, did you pay to get the water shut off at the curb?
Yes.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
739 upvotes
Ontario
Squirrel99 wrote: Very strange that they didn't take the old valve off =/
I'll have to ask. Like I said, they replaced a few gate valves but that was the only one they left.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1342 posts
1115 upvotes
Copper1212 wrote: I'll have to ask. Like I said, they replaced a few gate valves but that was the only one they left.
Although unusual, you should be glad he did it this way. When you need to shut off water keep using the old valve. And if ever the old valve is leaking then use the ball valve to shut off water and replace the part in the old valve that needs to be replaced!

You now have two valves for the price of one ;)
This year we will be celebrating Christmask ;)

Through overpopulation the human race is writing its own obituary.

Nobody can escape Karma (the Law of Cause and Effect).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5115 posts
2529 upvotes
Copper1212 wrote: I'll have to ask. Like I said, they replaced a few gate valves but that was the only one they left.
They left it in so they didn’t have to drain your system to install the new valve. Lazy
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2415 posts
1249 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't necessarily see any disadvantage or issues. I recently added a compression ball valve as well. But unlike your plumber, I added it after the gate valve. Not that it makes much of a difference functionality wise.
At least in your case, if and when the gate valve eventually fails, you will not have a leak as you could shut off ball valve before that. In my setup, I have to pretty much leave the original gate valve untouched from now on.

I do, however plan to add one more ball valve after the current ball valve, to which I will attach a smart shut off motor which will automatically turn it to closed position when a leak is detected anywhere in house.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
739 upvotes
Ontario
Got in touch with them and they basically said it still functioned alright so they thought it could be a backup. If we want it removed they will come back and do it.

What would you all recommend?
Nov 23, 2011
602 posts
588 upvotes
West GTA
Copper1212 wrote: Got in touch with them and they basically said it still functioned alright so they thought it could be a backup. If we want it removed they will come back and do it.

What would you all recommend?
I'd definitely say to remove it. Very lazy that they didn't remove it the first time.
Dec 6, 2017
903 posts
454 upvotes
Manitoba
Planning to have something like this put in as the current valve is ancient. What is the best strategy? Add a ball valve before, after or completely remove the old piece? Advantages I see in adding after the old valve is not needing to have the city close the water line from outside the house.
one more deal and I'm out * involuntary tick*.... :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5595 posts
3351 upvotes
I don’t see the problem with leaving it. But if it gives you peace of mind get them to change it out.