Careers

Had a misscarrige yesterday still eligible for maternity benefits or sickness benefit

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2012 10:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 14, 2011
30 posts
1 upvote
ETOBICOKE

Had a misscarrige yesterday still eligible for maternity benefits or sickness benefit

Hello... Had a misscarrige yesterday 1 week ago I apply for sickness benefits because I was so sick and my doc said you are not allowed to go for work this is my 9 week but yesterday bad misscarrige happens... So what can I do..I am stress because I conceive this baby after a long time....am I eligible for sickness benefits or something plz help me
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
90 upvotes
Nowhere
I guess you could apply for EI sickness benefits.
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/t ... l#eligible
The standard EI rules apply (600 insurable hours).

As for the maternity, no you are not eligible and would not have been eligible at 9 weeks pregnant. You are eligible to start receiving maternity 8 weeks before your expected due date and no later than 17 weeks after you have given birth.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2011
30 posts
1 upvote
ETOBICOKE
Thanks, I already applied for sickness benefits two weeks ago,I was on bed rest but last night this happened , just want to know am I still Eligible for sickness benefits ,I misscarried....
May 14, 2008
438 posts
68 upvotes
aleena1 wrote: Thanks, I already applied for sickness benefits two weeks ago,I was on bed rest but last night this happened , just want to know am I still Eligible for sickness benefits ,I misscarried....

Sorry to hear about your loss, aleena1, especially since you had been trying to conceive for a while.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5255 posts
3824 upvotes
Edmonton
aleena1 wrote: Thanks, I already applied for sickness benefits two weeks ago,I was on bed rest but last night this happened , just want to know am I still Eligible for sickness benefits ,I misscarried....
Sorry to hear that. Yes, you are eligible for 15 weeks of sick benefits through EI, assuming you meet all other requirements. All you need from your doctor is to have him fill out the EI sick form. It doesn't matter what your illness is from. Best of luck...