Shopping Discussion

Haggling - Is Anyone Trying It?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2009 8:39 pm
[OP]
Dec 4, 2008
1 posts

Haggling - Is Anyone Trying It?

I'm a reporter for the Globe and Mail and I'm working on a story about the return of haggling to retail stores in these tough economic times. With retailers seeing a drop in sales numbers this Christmas season, many are becoming more receptive to negotiating sticker prices with shoppes. I'd like to ask the savvy shoppers at RFD -- Are you engaging in more haggling this holiday season? If so, what kind of success have you had? If you have a moment, please reply to this post or reach me at [email protected]. All best, Patrick White
60 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
2296 posts
830 upvotes
Calgary
Haggling has always been there. Individually as a shopper, i dont really feel the affects of this recession yet. So recession or not, i still try to haggle. Dont think big name stores like BB or FS their prices are set. Especially in FS where those guys are on commission, haggling works best there.
But i try to be reasonable with my haggling too. Im usually calm and try to be friendly with the sale guy first. I dont stomp in and go, "i want that TV for 699," and its listed as $999. Maybe 100 off or free shipping or though me in something for free. Most of the time they are good.

hope that helps?
Dec 18, 2007
355 posts
Mississauga
I haggled with FS and they were pretty receptive. If they are offering the bonus gift card, ask them straight up to deduct the amount from the price rather than give the card. They can and will do that. The other thing I haggle is the extended warranty. I never pay full price for this and I only purchase it for big items.

I've seen other people haggle at home improvement stores. I've never tried but I will haggle anything that is floor model and only one left.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10912 posts
754 upvotes
Scarborough
If the price given is good or better than expected or cheaper than everywhere else, I will not haggle because its not worth the time.

If the item is a bit pricey then I might but it has to be something over $500 at least.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1445 posts
283 upvotes
It all seems to depend on where you shop. These past few weeks, shopping for christmas presents has been a mixed bag in regards to price haggling.

I have found that larger big box stores such as Futureshop really havn't changed their haggling habits. I always try and get the best price, but having watched the prices of a few TV's over the past few months. I am not able to get much of a better deal now than what I was back in September. Obviously there are sales which drop the price - but trying top get anything off that - aside from the usually $100 off the $300 monster cable, or 1/2 off the useless extended warranty - is useless.

Smaller stores, mostly private shops that obviously don't see the enormous amount of consumers that big box stores do (consequently having higher markups) see to be FAR more receptive to "haggling" and offers. Shopping at a few stores in Vancouver this past week, mainly for larger gift purchases such as a flat iron (straighter) from a Salon and a few other "larger" ticket items. The smaller/private shops, while still having their Christmas sales, for the most part were still willing to knock the price down, or add in extra things at deep discounts or for free. I purchased the one flat iron, from just a tad over $200, on sale for $149 - Final price wound up at $118 and a free storage/travel bag normal $29.99.

I have numerous examples, but for the most part it seems as though many stores are willing to make the sale, despite the profit margins.
The fact that there is a bit of money crunch has also made me a bit more forward when haggling. They know as well as me, chances are a store nearby carries the same thing, or something similiar so they either have to convince me the product is worth the price over the other - or be willing to take the money I am offering, because of the lessened chance that it may not get sold at all.
Now mind you, one store clerk laughed at me when I asked what kind of pricing they could do me on a product, and made them an offer. She found it silly that I would contest what the sticker said - so apparently haggling is not for everyone.

Hope that helps.
Aug 11, 2008
658 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
I work in retail, and I had a customer try to haggle with me, I declined and this other customer laughs and says "this isn't a garage sale" to me after the original one left.

Most people who ask for a discount know if they don't ask, they won't get it at all, and will usually accept the original price anyway. usually people who have decided to buy something, will try to haggle or ask for a discount because, why not? it's not like I'm going to kick them out, and if I do cave and give them a bit off, then they get it for cheaper.
Nov 13, 2008
53 posts
Mississauga
I think it depends a lot on where you're shopping. You're not going to go to Wal-Mart and haggle for $5 body wash for instance but when you go out to places like Future shop and you're buying a home theatre system for instance you know those guys have the margins to do that.
Anytime I go to small mom and pop stores I definitely try my luck and one thing I've started doing that I haven't done in the past is the price matching thing. I didn't want to drive around but just found the price online for something I was buying and had the store I was at match the price.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
128 upvotes
i work in a department store and some customers haggle all the time when they're buying clothing. it is slightly annoying but it's also entertaining to see what they say to try and get you to sell it to them for cheaper. does it work? i can honestly say that yes, at times when you can make a legitimate claim and you did nothing to upset me, then it could work. but for heavens sake, if you're buying a $10 shirt that's been marked down from $80, don't ask me for a further discount.
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote: I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote: Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
2296 posts
830 upvotes
Calgary
tomthegreat wrote: I work in retail, and I had a customer try to haggle with me, I declined and this other customer laughs and says "this isn't a garage sale" to me after the original one left.

Most people who ask for a discount know if they don't ask, they won't get it at all, and will usually accept the original price anyway. usually people who have decided to buy something, will try to haggle or ask for a discount because, why not? it's not like I'm going to kick them out, and if I do cave and give them a bit off, then they get it for cheaper.
flexwong wrote: i work in a department store and some customers haggle all the time when they're buying clothing. it is slightly annoying but it's also entertaining to see what they say to try and get you to sell it to them for cheaper. does it work? i can honestly say that yes, at times when you can make a legitimate claim and you did nothing to upset me, then it could work. but for heavens sake, if you're buying a $10 shirt that's been marked down from $80, don't ask me for a further discount.
Where do u guys work? let me try on u :D
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2003
1908 posts
118 upvotes
Thornhill
I personally tend not to haggle, simply because when I'm buying something 99% of the time it's on sale, I have a coupon or I've done enough research to know that I'm not going to get it cheaper anywhere else.

That being said, I work for a wholesaler (to retail stores) and when asked I honestly always look to see if there is something I can do.
Those who don't do it, don't get it.
Aug 11, 2008
658 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
darkmagician wrote: Where do u guys work? let me try on u :D
I work at the source, I understand when someone haggles on a display item, and I usually won't budge unless there is damage or missing pieces.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
128 upvotes
darkmagician wrote: Where do u guys work? let me try on u :D
canada's oldest company. but be warned, it's Christmas, the store is busy and im not gonna stand there for 10 minutes listening to you tell me why you should get the shirt for cheaper. either take it or leave it. :D :D :D
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote: I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote: Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Mar 11, 2002
904 posts
312 upvotes
I won't say always but the majority of the time when shopping for electronics, I will haggle. Some notes and observations

- Gone when gone and Clearance items at FS/BB end with .95 or .97
- Shopping at the end of the fiscal month/year (Their weeks run Sunday - Saturday) will result in better showings, also Saturday evening after 6pm seems to work well for me, as the closing manager is trying to boost whatever numbers they need to hit budget/targets, etc..
- If you don't ask you won't get (as mentioned by people above)
- Knowing the approximate gross margin on a product class really helps, and yes they will go below cost, on things.
- I bought the new aluminum macbook the $1799 one for $1440 on the Friday that they received them, they discounted it to include the warranty however if they "package" (P1) the warranty and the item together they don't get full credit for selling the warranty, so I asked them what's to stop me from returning the warranty somewhere else and they said go ahead as long as it isn't in their store.
- Be confident when asking for a deal, and if they hesitate and refuse ask them to ask their supervisor/sales manager/MOD.
-I would say at least 80% of the time when shopping at the end of the month for bigger ticket items I have been able to walk out with a price I am happy with.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13157 posts
4268 upvotes
GTA
Smaller stores will get you more success, especially if you can get the owner. They know exactly how much the item cost and they see $$$ signs walking out the door if you can't get a satisfactory price.

Surprisingly, I have found Home Depot to be flexible on price in regards to big ticket items. I got a great deal on hardwood flooring and my buddy got a nice discount when he ordered 5 windows.

Electronic stores on Yonge St used to be great for deals, not sure about that anymore as there are less of them, so maybe competition isn't what it was there.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
2296 posts
830 upvotes
Calgary
flexwong wrote: canada's oldest company. but be warned, it's Christmas, the store is busy and im not gonna stand there for 10 minutes listening to you tell me why you should get the shirt for cheaper. either take it or leave it. :D :D :D
hahah good stuff
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1795 posts
120 upvotes
i don't haggle on clothing items when shopping. i don't base my wardrobe on which stores i can get deals on. i buy at banana republic when it's on sale, and i don't buy clothes when it's regular priced.

i haggle at other stores when i know i'm going to buy an item regardless. i have nothing to lose because i'm buying it anyway. i always haggle with open-box or damaged items.
Aug 11, 2008
658 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
comicbookguy wrote: i don't haggle on clothing items when shopping. i don't base my wardrobe on which stores i can get deals on. i buy at banana republic when it's on sale, and i don't buy clothes when it's regular priced.
When I was in vegas I was buying some things at BR, and the clerk was from vancouver and we were talking, and he gave me a seniors discount, and just said that if I return it, tell the people that my grandparents bought it for me. I didn't ask for any discount, but I still got one, the items were regular priced anyways.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)