Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3845 upvotes

Hail damage, should I bother fix it?

There was a hail today and the rooftop and hood god dented. Not sure if I should bother with insurance tho, mainly because I'm afraid of a poor done job and then having other problems from the fix-up. I assume they have to take out the entire rooftop and hood in order to fix it, or do they usually change them straight out? Insurance will not increase, but the deductables are going to be about 300$.

It doesn't really bother me, but I'm just thinking down the road *if* I want to sell the car, although since I bought it and until today I still plan to drive it for as long as possible if the car stays reliable and not to expensive to fix whatever mechanical problems come along the way. Heck, I'll keep it for 25 years if the thing will run smooth.

What are your opinions in this matter? Would you bother getting it fixed?
Some details: Kia Forte 2015 bought brand new, currently 12k km (I usually average 10k/year)

I have a picture but it turns out is pretty bad qualify (you can't really tell the dents), but I can go take another one if you guys request it.

The dents are quite noticeable especially when the sun is low and is shining from a low angle.
23 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22215 posts
167570 upvotes
GTA
Depending on the severity, they can just do a paintless dent repair (PDR). It is much less work (and therefore cheaper) and you don't have to worry about a repaint job going bad over time.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3845 upvotes
So even in severe cases they don't actually change the entire rooftop/hood? They take it off, take out the dents with whatever, then re-paint it?

From youtube it still looks like they have to take the panels out, which could cause leaking, etc if they don't do a proper job re-installing it back.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16740 posts
6968 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: So even in severe cases they don't actually change the entire rooftop/hood? They take it off, take out the dents with whatever, then re-paint it?

From youtube it still looks like they have to take the panels out, which could cause leaking, etc if they don't do a proper job re-installing it back.
In most hail repair claims they will either fix it with tools from the underside or use a glue pull to repair (a simple way to think of it is hot glue stuck to the area that is used to pull the dent out). For your roof they would typically remove the headliner and fix from underneath (inside the car).

I have had several hail claims and the choice of the insurance company has always been to use PDR to repair the damage. There is no painting, except in the case of when a glue pull causes damage.

You would be surprised at how much the repair cost is for the hail damage. I would definitely get it looked at, as the claim will not cause your premiums to rise. As well, some insurance companies will just pay you out in cash for a hail damage claim if you really want (mine has for all of my claims). The downside to cash payout is I am not sure how happy they would be to repair that same panel in an accident in the future (as you have already been paid for it), and whether that means you'll pay a betterment charge.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3845 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: In most hail repair claims they will either fix it with tools from the underside or use a glue pull to repair (a simple way to think of it is hot glue stuck to the area that is used to pull the dent out). For your roof they would typically remove the headliner and fix from underneath (inside the car).

I have had several hail claims and the choice of the insurance company has always been to use PDR to repair the damage. There is no painting, except in the case of when a glue pull causes damage.

You would be surprised at how much the repair cost is for the hail damage. I would definitely get it looked at, as the claim will not cause your premiums to rise. As well, some insurance companies will just pay you out in cash for a hail damage claim if you really want (mine has for all of my claims). The downside to cash payout is I am not sure how happy they would be to repair that same panel in an accident in the future (as you have already been paid for it), and whether that means you'll pay a betterment charge.
Why would the insurance be ok with paying you cash for the value of how much it would cost to get it repaired instead of forcing you to actually repair it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5092 upvotes
ON
Messerschmitt wrote: Why would the insurance be ok with paying you cash for the value of how much it would cost to get it repaired instead of forcing you to actually repair it.
Because they usually offer you only 75-80% of the repair cost, savvy ? Also, they don't have to deal with warranty on the repair or damages during the repair and your rental car for the period.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12219 posts
8629 upvotes
Edmonton
I got caught in a hail storm a few years back with a 2 month old car. The insurance company did what TrevorK described. The total bill to them was $5300, I think, and it was about a weeks worth of work. Something like 125 dents got repaired. Couldn't tell it had ever been hit after.

C
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14017 posts
8113 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote: There was a hail today and the rooftop and hood god dented. I assume they have to take out the entire rooftop and hood in order to fix it, or do they usually change them straight out?
Nobody will ever "take off the roof" on a sedan. A hardtop convertible, sure.
Messerschmitt wrote: So even in severe cases they don't actually change the entire rooftop/hood? They take it off, take out the dents with whatever, then re-paint it?

How do you expect them to take off the roof? It's the very structure of the car.

This isn't some "chopped" show where they make a custom car.

They will fix it with bondo. If that's something you want, go ahead and make a claim.....maybe they can fix your "rust spots" on the trunk lid at the same time.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16740 posts
6968 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Why would the insurance be ok with paying you cash for the value of how much it would cost to get it repaired instead of forcing you to actually repair it.
Because it saves them the cost of the rental vehicle, the damage is in no way structural, no risk of additional damage (glue pulls can take the paint off in some cases) and the value of the vehicle is now significantly less. As well, I suspect they will charge you a betterment charge on the vehicle if those panels need work again.

I have also been told that they are often more flexible when it comes to payouts in extreme weather because they are just so busy that they want to get it all cleared off their books (PDR guys will come from all around North America during extreme weather events).
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3845 upvotes
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: pics?
Will post hopefully later today.

I guess I'll give a call to the insurance later today. Is it a bad idea generally to wait a long time before claiming it?
Also, will an insurance claim for hail stay with the vehicle for it's whole life? (aka it will be visible via carproof, and if you change isurance providers/move into another province, will the new insurance be aware of the claim and details?)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16740 posts
6968 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Will post hopefully later today.

I guess I'll give a call to the insurance later today. Is it a bad idea generally to wait a long time before claiming it?
Also, will an insurance claim for hail stay with the vehicle for it's whole life? (aka it will be visible via carproof, and if you change isurance providers/move into another province, will the new insurance be aware of the claim and details?)
My claims for hail are on the car proof.

You only have so much time to make a claim (2 years I believe), but because there is no damage to the paint from hail there is no damage caused by waiting. I waited 1 year for mine - it hailed the day before we left for Europe and the car sat in storage over the winter. Why would you wait though?
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3845 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: My claims for hail are on the car proof.

You only have so much time to make a claim (2 years I believe), but because there is no damage to the paint from hail there is no damage caused by waiting. I waited 1 year for mine - it hailed the day before we left for Europe and the car sat in storage over the winter. Why would you wait though?
Debating on pro and cons. Show on carproof/insurance hence lower potential resale value vs leave it as is and it's probably not noticeable if I ever decide to sell. As mentioned I don't actually plan on reselling but is another expense by having to pay for deductible (which are actually 700 and not 300 as I thought).

gotta upload those picture although I think they will be even harder to notice from a picture
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12219 posts
8629 upvotes
Edmonton
When I traded in my once hail damaged RAV4 for my Highlander, my sales person asked if there had been an insurance claims on it. I was honest (and he had CarFax to check anyway), and said that there was, but it was a single hail incident. They didn't take that into account when working out a price, because there was no chance of structural or mechanical failures due to it. So I would just say hang on to your insurance paperwork if you get it done so you can show it was hail damage and nothing more severe.

Any downgrade in price should be much less severe than selling a car with a pock-marked hood and roof.

C
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4350 posts
3637 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Messerschmitt wrote: Debating on pro and cons. Show on carproof/insurance hence lower potential resale value vs leave it as is and it's probably not noticeable if I ever decide to sell. As mentioned I don't actually plan on reselling but is another expense by having to pay for deductible (which are actually 700 and not 300 as I thought).

gotta upload those picture although I think they will be even harder to notice from a picture
Depends on how old it is when you resell. At a certain point history report of damage vs cosmetically ugly is irrelevant. The newer it is when you go to sell, I'd think that having visible cosmetic damage would bring the price down more compared to a danger report with proper explanation/documentation.

The pictures will be a challenge to see well but worth a sit. A good hint would be how many dents are there? A dozen or less? Two dozen? More than 50? More than 100?
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3845 upvotes
Well here they are:
http://i.imgur.com/RAtI2N6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pwTxAov.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rRuXrfa.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hmnuzFm.jpg

I would say in total there are about 10-20 dents on the roof, and under 10 on the hood. Very few on the trunk. Only 2-3 on the hood are noticeable like these on the roof.

I just really not sure if it's really worth spending 700$ on a 2015 kia forte that I don't have plans to sell (at least now). But then I hope I won't have regrets when it will be too late to make a claim
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16740 posts
6968 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Debating on pro and cons. Show on carproof/insurance hence lower potential resale value vs leave it as is and it's probably not noticeable if I ever decide to sell. As mentioned I don't actually plan on reselling but is another expense by having to pay for deductible (which are actually 700 and not 300 as I thought).

When you are dealing with an extreme weather event like hail, it will typically not reduce the damage. You have to remember there are most likely hundreds, if not thousands, of vehicles just like yours that have hail damage. Because you cannot go back in time and prevent the hail damage your choice is to either take their money and fix it, or to leave it as is. You will be much better off fixing it.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4317 upvotes
Drive around and get a few quotes from paintless dent repair places since it looks like the paint is still good
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16740 posts
6968 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Well here they are:
http://i.imgur.com/RAtI2N6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pwTxAov.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rRuXrfa.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hmnuzFm.jpg

I would say in total there are about 10-20 dents on the roof, and under 10 on the hood. Very few on the trunk. Only 2-3 on the hood are noticeable like these on the roof.

I just really not sure if it's really worth spending 700$ on a 2015 kia forte that I don't have plans to sell (at least now). But then I hope I won't have regrets when it will be too late to make a claim
I suspect the amount of the claim is much higher than you think.

I had one vehicle hit by hail that was in my backyard - just an old mustang. Because I didn't have insurance to drive it, I just called the insurance company to send their appraiser out. The appraiser inspected it, and the damage amount was $1200 or so. I thought this was kind of low myself, so I put insurance on it and drove it into the PDR shop for another quote - which came back at over $2000. My mustang was saved from heavy damage because it had a fibreglass hood (which doesn't dent from hail) and parked behind a fence.

I do not have a copy of the spreadsheet anymore, but they count the number of dents and their size/dispersion. They also grant a fee for the shop (like a setup fee or something). It's not uncommon to have a $6000 hail claim on a vehicle if it was out in the open.

As well, if you have dents on the hood/roof, do you have any on the doors or the side of the vehicle? It seems there must be some damage in the direction the hail was coming down.
Jul 7, 2005
575 posts
150 upvotes
My friend's claim was around $8000 (2007 CSX-S) during that freak hail storm in 2009, they tally up the # of dents and grade them dime, nickel and quarter sizes.