Hair Clippers suggestion

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2023 11:38 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2391 posts
682 upvotes
Vancouver Island
ds2chan wrote: I never heard of this brand either but I'm pleasantly surprised. It's $15 off right now.

It does feel pretty good when I pick it up so I hope it holds up.

The blades did not feel hot after using the clippers. I switched out the plastic guards(?; I'm not sure what they're called) and nothing felt hot. Have you tried clippers where the blades get hot? I never heard of that before.
That’s good to hear.

Yes unfortunately cheap clippers coupled with powerful motors can make the cutting block quite hot to the touch, making them uncomfortable, even unsafe, to use for extended periods (without guide combs).

I’ve come across a number of reviews of some cheap clippers (from Ali express) where users’ scalp had burn marks.

I’ve had a couple of units over the years that did this, one was a Conair.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
Whoaness wrote: Yeah, that's what I'm hoping to avoid. Pulling hair and can't cut. I have thick hair. I mean, I might have to go a bit more expensive. I'll see. Not committing to anything yet.

These are 40% off with an original price of $42 and $55 on Amazon. Shouldn't be too bad?
If you have thick hair, you might want more power. These things will last a lifetime so buy good ones . I have three crappy ones...never again.

I'd skip cordless because at some time you'd have to deal with dying batteries.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
1803 posts
1039 upvotes
Vancouver
gr8dlr wrote: If you have thick hair, you might want more power. These things will last a lifetime so buy good ones . I have three crappy ones...never again.

I'd skip cordless because at some time you'd have to deal with dying batteries.

Yeah, definitely not cordless.

The Wahl one I got should be good. I saw how it could be tweaked to utilize more of the power.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gr8dlr wrote: I have three crappy ones...never again.
which crappy ones did u get?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
yesstyle wrote: which crappy ones did u get?
Crappy Andis kit with a case, guides oil, and cape. Also have a 50 yr old Wahl and one other I don't even remember.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3166 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
Oster Classic 76....google it and you will find this is the gold standard of clippers in the industry by barbers and stylists. You can run it all day long and it will not get hot, is powerful and has been around for ever.

With the Oster Classic 76 it will not have to be replaced, you're going to will it down to the next generation.

I first discovered this one from my father in law who lived to 93 years of age, he had it for decades and decades. His son picked it up afterwards so I was on my own, purchased my own 15 years ago and this thing is really a tank quality wise. Does an excellent job and never gets hot.

If you are going to use for a dog then this isnt the one as it it tailored for human hair. A pet trimmer will have a higher ocilation speed to get through course hair, a draw back however is heat generation so cool that blade or let it rest if doing the underside belly area. I use a Wahl Professional KM10 Corded Clipper.

For humans the Oyster Classic 76 is the ultimate clipper, if doing both human and pets I would go the Wahl KM10....both clippers retail for about the same price.

I have both clippers....for my hair there is no better clipper other than the Oyster Classic 76.

Buy a quality trimmer once and it really will last a lifetime. So spend a bit more for a quality tool, over time you will appreciate the investment.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Oster Classic 76....google it and you will find this is the gold standard of clippers in the industry by barbers and stylists. You can run it all day long and it will not get hot, is powerful and has been around for ever.

With the Oster Classic 76 it will not have to be replaced, you're going to will it down to the next generation.

I first discovered this one from my father in law who lived to 93 years of age, he had it for decades and decades. His son picked it up afterwards so I was on my own, purchased my own 15 years ago and this thing is really a tank quality wise. Does an excellent job and never gets hot.

If you are going to use for a dog then this isnt the one as it it tailored for human hair. A pet trimmer will have a higher ocilation speed to get through course hair, a draw back however is heat generation so cool that blade or let it rest if doing the underside belly area. I use a Wahl Professional KM10 Corded Clipper.

For humans the Oyster Classic 76 is the ultimate clipper, if doing both human and pets I would go the Wahl KM10....both clippers retail for about the same price.

I have both clippers....for my hair there is no better clipper other than the Oyster Classic 76.

Buy a quality trimmer once and it really will last a lifetime. So spend a bit more for a quality tool, over time you will appreciate the investment.
any recommendation for a cordless trimmer?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
9449 posts
11799 upvotes
Calgary
ji2o0k wrote: I recommend the Remington Shortcut Pro - it isn't just for the shaved head look.

It comes with a variety of guard lengths - very easy to use. Use a longer guard first and shorter guards for tapering.

I started using this at the start of the pandemic and gotten pretty good at cutting my own hair. I use the Shortcut Pro to buzz the sides and partially the top. Then I just use scissors to shorten the front.

https://www.amazon.ca/Remington-Shortcu ... B014SG66UO

I have had 2 of these. They lose power after a year or so it seems and it now takes multiple passes to trim. Tiny batteries is probably the issue.

Here's a pic of my latest pro haircut:

Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
4218 posts
938 upvotes
Toronto
ive been using the wahl 5 star magic clip cordless for 4 years now. its quite heavy but does the job
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2391 posts
682 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Has anyone ordered a Wahl Professional clippers from AE; did they ship you the real thing? I'm looking at this one and the price seems decent, but don't want to end up with a fake.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Rob76 wrote: Has anyone ordered a Wahl Professional clippers from AE; did they ship you the real thing? I'm looking at this one and the price seems decent, but don't want to end up with a fake.
do it and let us know
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Oster Classic 76....google it and you will find this is the gold standard of clippers in the industry by barbers and stylists. You can run it all day long and it will not get hot, is powerful and has been around for ever.
I agree. I bought the Oster Classic 76 about 5 years ago and never looked back. I think it will last forever as long as it's properly maintained with oil. And if you do require replacement parts, they should be easy to obtain as this model is widely used by barbers.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5520 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
I've got a semi-professional grade Wahl wired clipper that I purchased from Wal-Mart about a decade ago and it's still going strong. Use it at least once per month if not a bit more often. The blade(s) could probably use a sharpening but to be honest I really want to go wireless so am hoping this one packs up.

I would not settle for anything other than Wahl personally (been using their clippers for three decades and have never been disappointed).
Apr 30, 2020
472 posts
526 upvotes
Vancouver
i shave my head so i've gone through several diff clippers in the last 10 years. the worst ones were the philips clippers, the 7000 series.
i had a pair that worked great till about 1 year, used once a week. suddenly it became way weaker and tugged at my hair, it was unusable.
i sent it in for a warranty replacement and they sent me a new unit which did the same thing only a month later. i gave up and did not ask for another replacement.

my old clippers were wahl senior clippers, which are basically barbershop grade. the only reason i bought the philips was because it was cordless and lighter for travelling with.
since having the bad experience with the philips i went and bought the new wahl senior cordless clippers. they were like $160 but if im using them once a week, its worth every penny.
so far they've been fantastic. if you cut your hair every week, do yourself a favour and buy yourself a really good pair of clippers.
even the cheapest haircut at a vietnamese salon is about $10-15. these clippers pay for themselves in just a few months.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Rob76 wrote: Has anyone ordered a Wahl Professional clippers from AE; did they ship you the real thing? I'm looking at this one and the price seems decent, but don't want to end up with a fake.
did u end up ordering it?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1396 upvotes
Ancaster
yesstyle wrote: did u end up ordering it?
Ya I'm interested as well.....

If it's the real mccoy that is a good price.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1396 upvotes
Ancaster
The reviews on the Wahl from AE are screaming knock-off.