• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2018 9:38 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2011
91 posts
60 upvotes

Hairline cracks on my driveway

Hi there,

I moved in a new house last year and my driveway was poured in May 2017. Today I noticed that there was a long hairline crack on the entire driveway (vertically) - almost 20 feet. It is very fine (1mm). I know crack on concrete is common but I was surprised that it happened now not at the time concrete was poured. Maybe extreme weather here in Saskatchewan caused this fine crack? Do you think it's just surface crack?

My question is, should I fix it in spring? or should I just leave it as is? If I need to fix it, what do I need to do?

Thanks!
Images
  • IMG_8790.jpg
  • IMG_8791.jpg
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1594 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
That is normal...don't worry!!
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9953 posts
9652 upvotes
Markham
this wasnt worth the read. This is like asking why corn pops.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2011
91 posts
60 upvotes
Smiley22 wrote: That is normal...don't worry!!
Thank you for your reply! that's good to hear it's normal but it concerned me when I saw the crack's formed from top to bottom of driveway - vertically, Thanks again
[OP]
Dec 27, 2011
91 posts
60 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: this wasnt worth the read. This is like asking why corn pops.
haha thank you for your comment! :)
[OP]
Dec 27, 2011
91 posts
60 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: It is not possible to create a cost-effective concrete driveway that does not crack.

The installer should have included contraction joints, which are effectively just pre-made cracks. The reason that is done is to prevent the inevitable cracks from leaving oddly shaped chunks of the driveway, and especially from leaving small chunks that move more easily.

When the weather is nice you should try to seal those cracks to prevent water from getting in, which in our climate will cause the crack to worsen. Water egress through cracks is the number one reason why concrete slabs fail - a little routine maintenance can go a long way.

If you still have some large slabs, you may want to bring out a driveway company to cut contraction joints in it. It wouldn't take more than a couple of hours start to finish.
Thank you for your reply! I was thinking about sealing it but my question is what kind of product that I need to use - perhaps I can go to homedepot and find concrete filler? The gap is very fine and I am not too sure if I can seal it properly.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27313 posts
6899 upvotes
Hamilton
corea8336 wrote: Thank you for your reply! I was thinking about sealing it but my question is what kind of product that I need to use - perhaps I can go to homedepot and find concrete filler? The gap is very fine and I am not too sure if I can seal it properly.

Say no more fam
Images
  • 6D39342A-0F22-4A64-9EF5-FF3B6B58797D.jpeg
$35/10GB Koodo
$40/10GB Koodo
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1129 posts
316 upvotes
Oakville, ON
corea8336 wrote: Hi there,

I moved in a new house last year and my driveway was poured in May 2017. Today I noticed that there was a long hairline crack on the entire driveway (vertically) - almost 20 feet. It is very fine (1mm). I know crack on concrete is common but I was surprised that it happened now not at the time concrete was poured. Maybe extreme weather here in Saskatchewan caused this fine crack? Do you think it's just surface crack?

My question is, should I fix it in spring? or should I just leave it as is? If I need to fix it, what do I need to do?

Thanks!
The crack is not normal. If it was built properly, you would not have any cracks, just sawcut contraction joints. Can you take a pic further away to show the whole driveway and the orientation of the slabs?

The crack looks too fine to do anything to it. Typically, you wouldn't seal a crack until it reaches 5 mm in width. For a road, you would use a small saw to "trace" the crack and then pour a hot rubberized sealant. The biggest reason to seal the crack is to stop incompressible materials (aggregate - little stones) from getting into the crack, then heaving, and causing severe spalling of that interface. You can try contacting a contractor and give them a measurement and ask how much it would be to sawcut and seal a concrete crack.

http://wikipave.org/index.php?title=Joint_Sealing
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4964 posts
1842 upvotes
corea8336 wrote: Hi there,

Thanks!
Worry too much. Worry about it in 10 years.

And do a coat of sealer every 2 years.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2