• Apr 16th, 2016 10:39 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 29, 2007
680 posts
188 upvotes

Is Halal meat cheaper

The last few times at the grocery store i've noticed that halal meat is cheaper than regular meat. For example, just bought halal chicken breasts at about $1.55/lb and that was the regular price. Seems very odd to me given the less industrial nature of how this meat is prepared (allegedly). Anyone notice this as well?
20 replies
Feb 8, 2011
8 posts
12 upvotes
Its always been more expensive due to the specific method of preparation. I'm not sure where you're shopping but maybe they have a sale going? I see it on sale at Costco sometimes
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
1205 posts
87 upvotes
mmasood wrote: Its always been more expensive due to the specific method of preparation. I'm not sure where you're shopping but maybe they have a sale going? I see it on sale at Costco sometimes
The method is the same as no halal for most part. A lot meat processing plants just turn on Koran when they are doing halal. But animals are killed the same way. Some places in Quebec just kill everything halal /kosher and just sell it normally since her is so little difference because of our regulations in Canada.

I've audited so so many meat processing plants, so glad that part of my life is over.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1475 upvotes
Pickering
I just bought Halal chicken breasts that were massive and cheap from Freshco. I regularly peruse the Halal meat section because sometimes meat is dirt cheap there or if there isn't a demand for Halal, the meat is marked down.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5681 posts
1430 upvotes
it's sometimes seems cheaper because they tend to skip the very expensive cuts of meat bringing down the average prices.

less picky buyers too (caring more that it is 'halal' vs. caring that it is better quality)
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3519 posts
1869 upvotes
Ontario
...Halal pork chops are impossible to find
Oct 21, 2006
308 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
halal is always going to be cheaper because the people who buy halal will be cooking the meat to death so they won't know the difference if its a higher quality cut or not.
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
hebsie wrote: ...Halal pork chops are impossible to find
Would definitely like to try them.
Thanks
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1475 upvotes
Pickering
broker judge wrote: halal is always going to be cheaper because the people who buy halal will be cooking the meat to death so they won't know the difference if its a higher quality cut or not.
Pretty sure before the meat has made it to the store, it's been dead for a while...
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1475 upvotes
Pickering
hebsie wrote: ...thank-you :D
No, thank you. It's my day off and I have nobody to be a smartass to.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4142 posts
2014 upvotes
Mississauga
I kind of always wanted to do this. Ask at the butcher counter for some halal pork, see what they say :)
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I kind of always wanted to do this. Ask at the butcher counter for some halal pork, see what they say :)
I don't get it? whats the big deal?
Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4226 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
ddp wrote: A lot meat processing plants just turn on Koran when they are doing halal. But animals are killed the same way. Some places in Quebec just kill everything halal /kosher and just sell it normally since her is so little difference because of our regulations in Canada.
Surprised to hear this -- not about the halal aspect, but about the kosher aspect. Common animal slaughter methods render meat non-kosher so there are usually special facilities.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46361 posts
9377 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I kind of always wanted to do this. Ask at the butcher counter for some halal pork, see what they say :)
That's a bit mean... Mind as well go up to the Chinese kid who works @ no frills and ask him where the BBQ Cats and dogs are.
Or ask the black guy where alll the water melon, grape drank, and fried chicken is.