Computers & Electronics

Is a halfway upgrade with some free parts worth the money?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2015 7:14 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 28, 2006
986 posts
347 upvotes

Is a halfway upgrade with some free parts worth the money?

Got a tough decision to make. I'm currently using a fairly old processor, an i7-960, that I picked up many years back. I was planning on building myself a new computer in the next year or so and upgrading to the current generation, but I have an opportunity to get an i7-2700k (and some RAM) for free right now and I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to make a build with that processor work.

Taking the i7-2700k would mean I'd have to find an old compatible motherboard, but would carry no other costs (that I can think of). It should push back my need to upgrade for another 2-3 years, but it's also money I'm sinking into old tech that will be outdated pretty soon.

Should I just stand pat and upgrade everything as originally planned, or should I make use of the free i7-2700k?

And if anyone has any good suggestions for quality 1155 socket motherboards, they would be greatly appreciated.
4 replies
Dec 20, 2007
424 posts
426 upvotes
a new processor would cost you $300, and wont perform much better then the 2700k. I would use these parts, and spend you money on a video card..
Apr 6, 2008
156 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver
I was in the same situation as you 2 weeks ago and had an aging i7-920 X58 platform. I ended up spending $100 to grab a Xeon X5660 processor off Amazon, gave it a mild overclock, and it's now as fast as a stock 4960X and has given new life to my system. This appears to be the best upgrade path and I can see this lasting me another 3-5 years. I read about this upgrade with all benchmarks here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1461359/offi ... rks-inside
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
There hasn't been much improvement since sandy bridge. I'd do it.

You can grab a lga1155 board from nmicrovip for 40$ otherwise get the Xeon.

Intel's been dragging their feet since Sandy Bridge. I'm not surprised at the OCN results.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
[OP]
Dec 28, 2006
986 posts
347 upvotes
Awesome, thanks for the info everyone! I hadn't been keeping up to date and I didn't realize that processors haven't gotten much better since sandy bridge, that's actually really awesome to hear and sounds like I should definitely jump on the free i7-2700k instead of waiting to upgrade to something more recent.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)