• May 2nd, 2016 8:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 24, 2003
775 posts
129 upvotes

Halifax to South Africa - Suggestions?

I am thinking about taking my family to South Africa in a year or two and was wondering if anybody knew the best/cheapest way to book it and I am looking for suggestions on things to do/stops to make on the way (London, Paris, etc).

It would be my wife and I and our 3 kids (currently 8, 6, and 6 wks old)

Our accommodations are all taken care of in S. Africa so we would only have to pay for food and possibly transportation. We are not so much concerned with what to do once we get to S. Africa, more on what to do on the way there/back. We plan to make it about a 3 week trip total.

We have not decided on budget yet but we plan to make the most of it as it will be most likely be a once in a lifetime type trip for us.

Thanks.
8 replies
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1415 upvotes
Toronto
We flew Air Canada - Toronto to London and just spent one day in London before flying on to Johannesburg. We flew home also through London but just stayed in the airport. We gave the kids the option of Munich or London (we'd priced out similar options to either city en route) and they picked London. My husband and I have been to both so it wasn't too much of a big deal for us, slightly easier going through London since we were pretty familiar with it all. Other places that offered stopovers were Frankfurt (meh, been there, doesn't interest me a huge amount), Paris (already done a stopover there with the kids), and I think I was looking at one option through Dubai but the timing didn't work out right (and if I was going there, I'd have wanted to stay longer). We considered doing a stopover on the way back but decided to just fly straight home, after a month of hard travelling, we were happy to just get on the planes anyways! Sounds awesome, we had a great time on our trip.
Mar 3, 2016
53 posts
23 upvotes
A few years ago, I flew from Montreal to Cape Town. Personally, I wanted to avoid having to fly to Joburg, only to have to board another plane to CPT, so I looked at European cities that had non-stop flights to CPT. At the time, most of the travel websites that I went to did not offer the itinerary that I wanted, or if they did, it was ridiculously expensive. I ended up going to a travel agent who was able to get me my desired itinerary for a much cheaper price than anything I could find online. This was 5 years ago, so perhaps the situation has changed, but you may want to look at some online prices and check with a travel agent to see if they can do better.

Ultimately, my routing was YUL -> LHR on Air Canada followed by LHR -> CPT on South African. British Airways also offered the same itinerary for way more money. Another option was YUL -> AMS and AMS -> CPT on KLM, which, if I recall, was roughly the same price as the AC/SA flight. Personally, I think a stopover in either London and/or Amsterdam would be a cool complement to a South African trip, given the UK and the Netherlands' colonial ties to South Africa. Also, they are both great cities to visit.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1415 upvotes
Toronto
SkinnyMilk wrote: A few years ago, I flew from Montreal to Cape Town. Personally, I wanted to avoid having to fly to Joburg, only to have to board another plane to CPT, so I looked at European cities that had non-stop flights to CPT. At the time, most of the travel websites that I went to did not offer the itinerary that I wanted, or if they did, it was ridiculously expensive. I ended up going to a travel agent who was able to get me my desired itinerary for a much cheaper price than anything I could find online. This was 5 years ago, so perhaps the situation has changed, but you may want to look at some online prices and check with a travel agent to see if they can do better.

Ultimately, my routing was YUL -> LHR on Air Canada followed by LHR -> CPT on South African. British Airways also offered the same itinerary for way more money. Another option was YUL -> AMS and AMS -> CPT on KLM, which, if I recall, was roughly the same price as the AC/SA flight. Personally, I think a stopover in either London and/or Amsterdam would be a cool complement to a South African trip, given the UK and the Netherlands' colonial ties to South Africa. Also, they are both great cities to visit.
Ours was YYZ>YUL>LHR> (Air Canada) then switched to South Africa Airways (which was AMAZING) for LHR>JMB.

Home was CPT>LHR (British Airways) then LHR>YUL>YYZ on Air Canada.

The YUL stop over was to save some cash, our flights were around $1200 each return last summer. (Which was a good deal, we were lucky to grab that price!)
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1330 posts
791 upvotes
Ottawa
Worth noting that for the past several years, a couple of times a year Air Canada, United, and Lufthansa, in cooperation with SAA, offer a seat sale with advance-purchase *business class* fares from Canada to JNB/CPT for under $3000 return, sometimes below $2500. Via Europe. While of course more expensive than the $1200 (economy) that wirebound mentions, it is among the best business class deals you can find anywhere, since you get 4 longhaul flights in flat bed seats for the price, as well as a whack more frequent flyer points.

Unfortunately you've just missed the most recent seat sale, but there's a long-running thread that activates anytime the deal is back on FlyerTalk. The seat sale does tend to track similar deals from Air France/Delta, but those won't be that helpful from Halifax -- and the Star Alliance ratings have more choices.
Nov 15, 2011
227 posts
225 upvotes
NORTH YORK
id say the "best way" would be Delta (thru Atlanta) or KLM (thru Amsterdam). total travel time from toronto is 21hrs with 1 stop (being 2-3 hrs). you dont indicate whether you're going to CPT or JNB. Depending on when you are going will dictate price..back when we were looking in feb it was 1800pp.

however, we are booked for this summer on BA (they were the 2nd cheapest) YYZ-LHR->CPT (30hrs? with 12 hr layover in LHR). on the way back we are going JNB->LHR (5.5 hr layover) ->YYZ . the cheapest for my time frame was Qatar Airways (approx 1400) but from toronto it was YYZ->JFK->DOH->CPT. you had a 8-9hr layover in Doha. no visas required AND if you pay a high enough class ticket in economy (ie. not the cheapest 1400$ ticket) and you have a 8hr+ layover in Doha, they GIVE you a free hotel room. emirates does that also.

something to note if you are going to CPT via JNB. you will have to clear customs in JNB before getting on your domestic flight to CPT.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
1205 posts
87 upvotes
houska wrote: Worth noting that for the past several years, a couple of times a year Air Canada, United, and Lufthansa, in cooperation with SAA, offer a seat sale with advance-purchase *business class* fares from Canada to JNB/CPT for under $3000 return, sometimes below $2500. Via Europe. While of course more expensive than the $1200 (economy) that wirebound mentions, it is among the best business class deals you can find anywhere, since you get 4 longhaul flights in flat bed seats for the price, as well as a whack more frequent flyer points.

Unfortunately you've just missed the most recent seat sale, but there's a long-running thread that activates anytime the deal is back on FlyerTalk. The seat sale does tend to track similar deals from Air France/Delta, but those won't be that helpful from Halifax -- and the Star Alliance ratings have more choices.

I did it for 2200 on air canada to London and SAA to Cape Town. Air Canadian flies to London from Halifax so maybe they offer it from there when the sale pops up.
I did it in Jan 2014.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1338 upvotes
Moncton
If you fly via Atlanta, you can go to CNN and the Coca-Cola museums. Both are an easy subay ride from the airport.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada