Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Hallmark

Hallmark Eaton Centre Closing - up to 75% off

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2019 12:51 pm
Feb 8, 2010
626 posts
574 upvotes
dirbyH wrote: Are you seriously blaming the living minimum wage increase for Hallmark closing in the Eaton Centre? Do you think a $2/hour hike caused a major, US-based, billion-dollar corporation to close down some retail stores?
A $1 dollar hourly wage difference is enough for GE to move its factory from China to Vietnam. Those big corporations are all about money. Anyone high-up in GE cared about the Chinese workers losing their jobs?
dirbyH wrote: Hallmarks' revenue in 2016 was 4 billion. Employees are not an expense, they are a necessity, and paying them fairly is non-negotiable. If you can't afford to pay employees livable wages, then you don't have a business, they're not a product.
Now dial to 2019, Canadian retail sector is in recession already; $2 dollar wage hike sure is not helping.
May 4, 2012
62 posts
36 upvotes
Fyi cards are now 50% off and everything else (itty bitty, gifts, etc) are 75% off. Not much left. They close Sunday.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
2541 posts
2315 upvotes
Pickering
I agree with some of the sentiments in here. If I'm really searching for a card (hypocritical alert here) I actually go to Walmart as it has never stirred me wrong. I've found quite wonderful letters, and paid up towards 12$+ for them. I remember going to Hallmark a few times and never really having luck finding a card I liked.
CTC employee
Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $75/60GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $40/20GB + $40/50GB/BYOD
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1566 posts
1534 upvotes
Hallmark was a pretty marginal business with those high mall rents. Increased labour rates might have been the last straw, or maybe increased rent or decreased sales. The truth is none of us know, but chances are it's probably a combination of everything.

Anyone saying the the wage increase hasn't affected businesses is totally out to lunch. Many businesses increased prices and others decided to take a cut to profits, no business that employs unskilled labour was unaffected. That's just capitalism, most retailers and affordable restaurants don't have huge margins.

I don't mind paying a bit more so that people can get paid more reasonably, but I can afford to. I do wonder how this affects people who make a bit over minimum wage who now have to pay out more for everything without making any more money.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Send e-cards to show that you don't give a damn instead. With the money saved, spend that on your side chic. You'll need her one day for when the wife won't 🤣.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Jan 4, 2010
778 posts
463 upvotes
Waterloo
The last I bought something here was like in 2014 for some r2d2 Star Wars mug.
Dec 23, 2012
336 posts
215 upvotes
Vancouver
Cards are 75% off; other items are 90% off

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)