• Oct 31st, 2019 4:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 17, 2008
586 posts
137 upvotes
Earth

Halloween for Pets?

Is it me or is Halloween now also a trick-or-treat event for people with pets?

I would usually dress my dog out for taking out for a walk - but never thought of knocking on people's doors for treats! LOL

Thoughts?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1382 posts
1056 upvotes
British Columbia
I am not totally sure of your question.

If you're asking if you should go door to door asking for dog treats... Then no. Not only do I not know of anyone that does this, I also do not know of anyone that stocks dog treats for Halloween... And on that note, I would say it is a very bad idea as unless it is a wrapped product, there's no telling what is in it -- at the best your dog may end up with diarrhea from a food it isn't used to and at worst... well, there's crazy people out there. Door to door for human treats? No. Unless you have a kid that's a bit much.

If you're asking if you can simply go door to door with your dog while also with a child. I guess? But most dogs I know would find this stressful; strange outfits all over the place, dogs not comfortable around children/people in general, loud noises, other dogs barking at doors, even just the fact that it is dark out is not appealing to a lot of dogs. If you do this I would keep your dog well away from the door of the homes you visit -- your dog may be friendly but dogs inside the homes may not be, and they would have the added stress of wanting to protect their territory.

If you're asking if you can just go out for a walk during the day with your dog dressed in a costume... Sure! Sometimes I do this too. Usually I don't though since my dogs end up running off leash and I don't wan to carry the costumes. They're good for a laugh and a photo shoot and that's about it.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2008
586 posts
137 upvotes
Earth
Karala wrote: I am not totally sure of your question.

If you're asking if you should go door to door asking for dog treats... Then no. Not only do I not know of anyone that does this, I also do not know of anyone that stocks dog treats for Halloween... And on that note, I would say it is a very bad idea as unless it is a wrapped product, there's no telling what is in it -- at the best your dog may end up with diarrhea from a food it isn't used to and at worst... well, there's crazy people out there. Door to door for human treats? No. Unless you have a kid that's a bit much.

If you're asking if you can simply go door to door with your dog while also with a child. I guess? But most dogs I know would find this stressful; strange outfits all over the place, dogs not comfortable around children/people in general, loud noises, other dogs barking at doors, even just the fact that it is dark out is not appealing to a lot of dogs. If you do this I would keep your dog well away from the door of the homes you visit -- your dog may be friendly but dogs inside the homes may not be, and they would have the added stress of wanting to protect their territory.

If you're asking if you can just go out for a walk during the day with your dog dressed in a costume... Sure! Sometimes I do this too. Usually I don't though since my dogs end up running off leash and I don't wan to carry the costumes. They're good for a laugh and a photo shoot and that's about it.
Yeah, I get that its not a good idea as people don't stock up for pet treats and I do know the pain to carry the costumes.

I passed by many pet stores and they seem to be offering the treats and a post (to take home) to put on the lawn to let people know they welcome pets to trick-or-treat...and I just thought that's a great idea! I plan to do that in my neighbourhood to see how many people actually pay attention. Probably end up with lots of kids asking for candy and not pet treats.... :)