Off Topic

Halloween - Trick or Treating Cancelled?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 3:34 pm
[OP]
Oct 13, 2013
18 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

Halloween - Trick or Treating Cancelled?

Just wondering if they are still allowing kids to go out trick or treating door to door during this Covid-19 crisis?

If they are, why? Bars and restaurants, gyms, and certain other things are now closed for 28 days.

I would consider going out trick or treating is like a festival event which any of these events have been cancelled since the outbreak.

So it should be cancelled.
62 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3207 posts
27988 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Does seeing lots of people, but a few at a time, still somehow group it into a group. Though I'm sure they don't want packed streets with kids this year. They will have to buy their candy, or the kids can get a discount cell plan and play the Circle K game and get treats that way.

But I think I heard it's cancelled on the news. Though I can't recall specifically.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1032 posts
371 upvotes
Im personally not handing out anything. There is also the other end to this, where potential TOTs are asymptomatic.

Better safe than sorry.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1936 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
I would say I hope for heavy rain but then it will push people inside.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5597 posts
2787 upvotes
Mississauga
ZoinksALot wrote: If they are, why? Bars and restaurants, gyms, and certain other things are now closed for 28 days.
Because trick or treating takes place outside. Bar and gym activities? Not so much.

Having said that, I honestly don’t think it will happen this year.
Oct 8, 2020
41 posts
19 upvotes
North Toronto
I thought they cancelled Halloween back in July? Unless things have changed.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24954 posts
4196 upvotes
Halloween is not a government sanctioned event that can just be canceled. Government can ask people not to take part, but they can't cancel it.
Based on what I'm hearing from people who live in my community, most people still plan on going out and most plan on handing out candy.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1159 posts
273 upvotes
Even if Trick or Treating is not cancelled - I suspect the number of people answering their doors will be pretty low.

I have three young children and we always go Trick or Treating. Even if it's not cancelled this year, I suspect the number of people answering their doors will be pretty low. We decided on a weekend Ontario resort getaway instead. Deerhurst has a Halloween package. I figure if they can't do the Trick or Treating, they can still have some Halloween fun.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8710 posts
2394 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
RubiconX wrote: I thought they cancelled Halloween back in July? Unless things have changed.
Who would the they be who could cancel Hallowe’en?

And what would cancel Hallowe’en mean?

That it would be illegal to wear a costume on October 31?

That we would be taking children to court because on October 31 they asked a stranger for candy?

That on October 31 strangers would be investigated for offering candy to children?

OK, that last one might not be a good example. Face With Tears Of Joy
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18966 posts
1985 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Why? I drove by a school yesterday and guess what I saw? Kids socializing like they always have, including no masks. Let them have their trick or treat.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13044 posts
7108 upvotes
Toronto
ZoinksALot wrote: Just wondering if they are still allowing kids to go out trick or treating door to door during this Covid-19 crisis?

If they are, why? Bars and restaurants, gyms, and certain other things are now closed for 28 days.

I would consider going out trick or treating is like a festival event which any of these events have been cancelled since the outbreak.

You mad bro?

You can't go lift or go to bars so you want to take it out on the little kids?

:facepalm:
Oct 8, 2020
41 posts
19 upvotes
North Toronto
MexiCanuck wrote: Who would the they be who could cancel Hallowe’en?

And what would cancel Hallowe’en mean?

That it would be illegal to wear a costume on October 31?

That we would be taking children to court because on October 31 they asked a stranger for candy?

That on October 31 strangers would be investigated for offering candy to children?

OK, that last one might not be a good example. Face With Tears Of Joy
The Ontario gov't. All they have to do is decree that nobody is allowed to trick o' treat. Imagine dozens of kids visiting the homes and taking candy from people infected with Covid-19 under quarantine. Or infected kids going to visit dozens of homes.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1936 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
RubiconX wrote: The Ontario gov't. All they have to do is decree that nobody is allowed to trick o' treat. Imagine dozens of kids visiting the homes and taking candy from people infected with Covid-19 under quarantine. Or infected kids going to visit dozens of homes.
You would be looking at a curfew but I doubt that is a route they will take or even if they can.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2434 posts
2067 upvotes
GTA
RubiconX wrote: The Ontario gov't. All they have to do is decree that nobody is allowed to trick o' treat. Imagine dozens of kids visiting the homes and taking candy from people infected with Covid-19 under quarantine. Or infected kids going to visit dozens of homes.
Why would people infected with Covid-19 and under quarantine be handing out candy? People that know that they are infected won't be handing out candy or trick or treating.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8421 posts
2897 upvotes
ZoinksALot wrote: Just wondering if they are still allowing kids to go out trick or treating door to door during this Covid-19 crisis?

What and odd thing to say. I am at bar right now...