182 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto

hamilton vs. kitchener/waterloo

this is for an investment property.

the criteria is
1. easy to rent to decent quality tenants
2. easy to sell if needed

I realize hamilton has Go that goes to downtown Toronto and Kitchener is much farther but Waterloo itself is a tech hub.
So it's a difficult decision.
5 replies
Jul 2, 2018
262 posts
255 upvotes
What is your budget?
What is your short term and long term goal with this property?
Do you plan to turn investing into a business or just to purchase 2-3 properties across the next 20 years?
Realtor + Investor
[OP]
Sep 25, 2012
182 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
RealtorInvestor wrote: What is your budget?
What is your short term and long term goal with this property?
Do you plan to turn investing into a business or just to purchase 2-3 properties across the next 20 years?

buget is around 500k
buy, rent and forget about it.
Oct 21, 2013
284 posts
140 upvotes
waterloo, on
Perfect budget to buy a property in kw and still have a positive cashflow. A recent client of mine closed duplex for this price range.

You can easily find professional tenants here and there is lot of room for growth. In past 10 yrs, kw properties have appreciated for more than 10%. Thats extremely good rate of return.
Serving Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph/London/Hamilton/Niagara and surrounding areas
Nov 11, 2018
109 posts
48 upvotes
Is there a list/website where one can get information on pre-construction projects in the Waterloo-Kitchener-Cambridge area? Also considering Guelph. We currently own a TH in Meadowvale, Mississauga and want to move to these areas 1-2 years down the road.
TIA
Jun 8, 2020
3 posts
3 upvotes
I got a rental in Waterloo , good tenants. Bought the property in 2016 for 320k, got evaluated at $600k last summer.

Have some extra cash now trying to decide if I should continue searching for an investment property in kw, or go for Hamilton. Like you said Hamilton has the Go train, also much closer to gta and st Catherine’s way. Both kw and Hamilton have universities and colleges, and both are still growing.

Goal is to purchase the property, and maybe flip it in 5 years. Which would likely have a better return, kw or Hamilton?