• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2021 11:56 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 23, 2001
660 posts
171 upvotes

Hamilton watch

Hello folks
Recently, there was that thread in hot deals about a casio ~777 dollars. A lot of people recommended a Hamilton for that price range.
What do you guys think? Anything that's worth spending 1k on? I found this one that I like but never really looked into the brand
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h38745501.html
Thx
27 replies
Newbie
User avatar
Dec 13, 2012
24 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Dark wrote: Hello folks
Recently, there was that thread in hot deals about a casio ~777 dollars. A lot of people recommended a Hamilton for that price range.
What do you guys think? Anything that's worth spending 1k on? I found this one that I like but never really looked into the brand
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h38745501.html
Thx
Hamilton or Tissot both under 1k with Swiss movements. Fantastic watches for the price
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
17051 posts
9172 upvotes
Ottawa
Hamilton is a company that has some actual history (i.e. a brand that dates back many years), and has been consistent in churning out affordable watches with a classic appeal. You could do much worse than buying a Hamilton in this price range . They are part of the Swatch conglomerate so they get real ETA movements.
<insert sig>
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
6023 posts
1657 upvotes
That Hamilton is worth the money since you're getting a newer/improved ETA 2892 movement than 90% of the movements out there that's the ETA 2824.

Although it's not real gold but a surface coating so it's going to wear off if you're not careful with it and it's going to look like ass.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
17051 posts
9172 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't like gold toned watches as a general rule. I have a two toned real gold watch, and it never gets any wrist time as it feels too blingy and old fashioned. As as mentioned, if it's not real gold, it may not wear well. I like that style of watches more on a leather strap, makes it look more casual.


Monaco-Hamilton-Intra-Matic-Automatic-Watch-H38455751.jpg
<insert sig>
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 23, 2001
660 posts
171 upvotes
Awesome feedback.
The reason I chose the rose gold model is that it would replace a similar watch in my rotation. Now, you have me worried :)
How about this one? https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-intra ... 55781.html
Similar model but no rose gold.
I find it hard to drop this kind of cash without having seen it in real life.
Should I expect to be hit with duties with jomashop?
Last edited by Dark on Feb 15th, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
User avatar
Dec 13, 2012
24 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Dark wrote: Awesome feedback.
The reason I chose the rose gold model is that it would replace a similar watch in my rotation. Now, you have me worried :)
How about this one? https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-intra ... 55781.html
Similar model but no rose gold.
I find it hard to drop this kind of cash without having seen it in real life.
Should I expect to be hit with duties with jomashop?
Joma will have duties. Their customer service is also crap from my experience
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 23, 2001
660 posts
171 upvotes
peteyp61 wrote: Joma will have duties. Their customer service is also crap from my experience
Thx. Any other online vendor you would trust?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
14024 posts
18281 upvotes
Vancouver
Tissot is another brand on about the same level as Hamilton.
This one is similar in style for less than half the price of the Hamilton: https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-le-locl ... 23-93.html
Or this: https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-watch-t ... 05800.html
Lots to choose from
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
6023 posts
1657 upvotes
Why don't you just buy it at your local Hamilton AD? I'm sure they're willing to work a deal with you, knowing the circumstances right now...
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 23, 2001
660 posts
171 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote: Why don't you just buy it at your local Hamilton AD? I'm sure they're willing to work a deal with you, knowing the circumstances right now...
I honestly didn't think of it. I'm conditioned to think that online is always cheaper than retail in the watch world.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 16, 2015
566 posts
1134 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Dark wrote: Hello folks
Recently, there was that thread in hot deals about a casio ~777 dollars. A lot of people recommended a Hamilton for that price range.
What do you guys think? Anything that's worth spending 1k on? I found this one that I like but never really looked into the brand
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h38745501.html
Thx
Hamilton is an old American brand that is now owned by Swatch.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
6023 posts
1657 upvotes
Dark wrote: I honestly didn't think of it. I'm conditioned to think that online is always cheaper than retail in the watch world.
Times have changed. ADs are aware that people do shop online and I'm sure you can use that to negotiate a better deal rather than having to pay for duties/taxes by the courier by ordering from the US.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8314 posts
5167 upvotes
Vancouver
Oris used to be really good value, price has gone up by so much. My first mechanical watch was the Oris Artelier complication back in 2006 when I graduated university. I bought it on boxing day for under $1000. Now it's selling for $2750. I bought my brother a Oris F1 as a groomsman gift when I got married in 2008 for just over $500!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2097 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
Tissot is good. However, I would recommend a Seiko automatic. Much better value. Don't buy the marketing that only the Swiss know how to make mechanical watches.
Newbie
User avatar
Dec 13, 2012
24 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
lpin14 wrote: Tissot is good. However, I would recommend a Seiko automatic. Much better value. Don't buy the marketing that only the Swiss know how to make mechanical watches.
Seiko has been charging more and more for less and less in recent years IMO

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)