• Jan 30th, 2024 1:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
vkizzle wrote: GV only issues US phone numbers.
Yes, I know.

Most plans have US calling and/or can buy a long distance plan/package [Canada to US calling] for such instances; whether it be for a week or a month.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
georvu wrote: Yes, I know.

Most plans have US calling and/or can buy a long distance plan/package [Canada to US calling] for such instances; whether it be for a week or a month.
If most plans have US calling, then SMS would be included without any extra charges.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
vkizzle wrote: If most plans have US calling, then SMS would be included without any extra charges.
Wouldn't matter as we are talking about overseas so unlikely to roam there whether or not have US calling/texting.

But if can call US from Canada with current plan or with add on then can forward to GV. Obviously need to fwd before leaving Canada.

GV works in most parts of the world on wifi so no roaming needed.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
georvu wrote: Wouldn't matter as we are talking about overseas so unlikely to roam there whether or not have US calling/texting.

But if can call US from Canada with current plan or with add on then can forward to GV. Obviously need to fwd before leaving Canada.

GV works in most parts of the world on wifi so no roaming needed.
If one has GV then it can be added for SMS 2FA and therefore no issues abroad.
Im currently using GV for my SMS 2FA.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
vkizzle wrote: If one has GV then it can be added for SMS 2FA and therefore no issues abroad.
Im currently using GV for my SMS 2FA.
Financial institution dependent.

Some do not allow non Canadian numbers so need to fwd Canadian number to GV so can at least get a call while overseas.

Now if the Canadian Financial institution does accept non Canadian numbers then yes, GV all the way as you have set up.

There are other options like using a voip or texting app so really dependent on mobile plan [LD, roaming, etc.], Financial institution 2fa restrictions on numbers.

Another option is using Financial institution app in those cases where they send 2fa to app.

On a side point I get notifications on RBC account app even though not signed into it. Do have app installed on phone. So it will say "... $XX withdrawn/deposited..." If click on the notification then prompted to sign in but really not necessary as already have relevant info.

But really the banks are making us jump thru hoops when an authenticator app [googl, msft, auth, etc.] would be better.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
georvu wrote: Financial institution dependent.

Some do not allow non Canadian numbers so need to fwd Canadian number to GV so can at least get a call while overseas.

Now if the Canadian Financial institution does accept non Canadian numbers then yes, GV all the way as you have set up.

There are other options like using a voip or texting app so really dependent on mobile plan [LD, roaming, etc.], Financial institution 2fa restrictions on numbers.

Another option is using Financial institution app in those cases where they send 2fa to app.

On a side point I get notifications on RBC account app even though not signed into it. Do have app installed on phone. So it will say "... $XX withdrawn/deposited..." If click on the notification then prompted to sign in but really not necessary as already have relevant info.

But really the banks are making us jump thru hoops when an authenticator app [googl, msft, auth, etc.] would be better.
Here’s my list of Canadian FI and Gov institutions that accept GV for SMS 2FA.
RBC business accounts offer 2FA via key token, but they refuse to implement it to consumers.

RBC
Tangerine
Simplii
CRA
Nov 25, 2021
307 posts
151 upvotes
Samshares wrote: Freedom $99/year plan is a godsend.

It really doesn’t get anymore easier than that. Works in freedom zones, works with WiFi calling around the world and works with WiFi calling via cellular data from a second sim on the same iPhone.

Don’t waste your time over complicating things.
How to use wifi calling via cell data from a second sim??
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
mmbiker wrote: How to use wifi calling via cell data from a second sim??
By forcing the freedom line into SOS mode.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6328 posts
2521 upvotes
does it matter?
from their web site

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/vowifi-terms

4. How am I charged for using Wi-Fi Calling? 

When using Wi-Fi Calling, regardless of your physical location, your usage, including local and long distance calls, text messages, and picture messages, is rated like it is made from the “Freedom” network, with the exception of calls initiated on VoLTE while roaming outside of the “Freedom” network. For calls initiated on VoLTE while roaming, the entire duration of the call will be rated based on your roaming location, even for calls that hand over to Wi-Fi Calling. Usage will be reflected in the local Canadian time zone of the network node you are connected to at that time. No additional subscription or monthly fees apply, but we reserve a right to limit the access to Wi-Fi Calling on certain rate plans. Data roaming will not apply provided you are using Wi-Fi Calling on a Wi-Fi network. A Wi-Fi Calling indicator will indicate when you are connected to Wi-Fi Calling service.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
mmbiker wrote: How do I do that? SOS mode
Go into manual network settings and select nationwide.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9301 posts
10316 upvotes
People have said that even though it is on the Rogers network, they have used PhoneBox through wi-fi calling to successfully send and receive text messages and calls with no fee, provided that once abroad, they were connected through a wi-fi connection.
Deal Fanatic
May 13, 2005
5148 posts
5848 upvotes
Montreal
vkizzle wrote: Here’s my list of Canadian FI and Gov institutions that accept GV for SMS 2FA.
RBC business accounts offer 2FA via key token, but they refuse to implement it to consumers.

RBC
Tangerine
Simplii
CRA
Tangerine doesn't accept my GV US phone number.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Oops, you’re right.
I just checked and both my primary and secondary 2FA are Canadian numbers.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
Samshares wrote: Income sms is always free.

Correct Telus / Bell and their sub brands block WiFi calling outside of Canada as they prefer you pay their roaming daily rates.
wow kudos to shaw mobile who haven't done this yet.. I'm assuming freedom mobile allows worldwide wifi calling too.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2019
1340 posts
1540 upvotes
Lots of good suggestions in this thread. Note that it is not so simple. There is a combination of banks, cell providers and activity type to consider. Below for example i mention three diffent types of 2FA. The standard one, one triggered by bank login overseas, and a third triggered by purchases online overseas. You have less control over the latter.

crunchiespg wrote: Turn off 2fa. it does more harm than good and using SMS based 2fa is worse than not using it at all.

Use strong encrypted passwords instead. Bitwarden is your friend.
Fun fact. Some banks force a secondary 2FA that the user cannot turn off.

Even if you turn off your validations, it can still happen upon logging in and making some purchases online while overseas. You then have to call your bank for temporary override which they will be very reluctant to do.

Its not a fun process. Make sure you have access to your original number. Which can be challenging since not all cell providers do that and not all banks allow changing to a non canadian number.

Source: was pretty much SOL overseas.....found all this out the hard way. Calling a bank overseas also seems challenging. I highly recommend having a data based calling setup that allows you to call your bank using the standard numbers as if you were in Canada.
MayorOfToronto wrote: When you're outside of Canada you're roaming on others' networks. There's always a cost to that. Everybody needs their cut. Plans are always cheaper in pretty much every other country. Even if you're only there for a few days it's cheaper to just buy a plan there than pay for roaming because Canadian telecom is a joke.

But technically yes if you can roam with your current provider then you can still receive texts.
Doesnt work with all providers. Public mobile for example, will not work oversees. It does not roam there.

Folks. Keep in mind. Some banks provide a secondary 2FA that is seperate than your 2FA for logging in. Td, rbc, tangerine, cibc, they all have it. Youll be able to use your card but upon making online purchases while overseas you can be hit with it, logging in, and calling in. While calling in, be prepared to speak to the security / fraud department. Its a hassle. Almost worth switching to a cell provider that can roam overseas while there.
If you do call in, be patient for long waits. Id suggest having the right numbers ready to avoid a long wait followed by transfer and another long wait - dont get stuck doing transfer tag.

When this hit me, it literally took a few hours to figure out and fix. Everytime I needed a code, it was about an hour wait on-call with my bank.

Samwfive wrote: Thought of John Pinette petending to be a French, smoking, "this is bullshit!".

Out of desperation, I cleared the cc's balance adding more towards it, double paid all bills. Still need to buy a couple of flights and book hotels while overseas.... hope the bank won't seek 2fa when doing these. :rolleyes:
Some, not all, places will trigger a 2FA. Be prepared to call in to book. Your card will work at a coffee shop but then could be blocked booking a flight online. When time sensitive...this can be frustrating.
Id also suggest using one of those travel credit cards such as wise. Itll avoid some of these issues, or rather it should.

Note. In these cases its the retailer triggering it to your bank and not really your bank triggering it. Its a validation of sorts. You could try to book a flight from one site, ger blocked by validation, and another site wont block you. When this happens, the block applies to all cards from all banks it seems.

Dave98 wrote: Since it's CIBC then just use the app. Set your phone as a trusted device and the codes will be sent to the app instead of through SMS.
Not all banks apps will even work overseas. Youll need VPN. And even then, some block VPN. Well, they try to atleast.

MayorOfToronto wrote: I really like the way Scotiabank implemented their 2FA because it works similar to an authenticator app. None of that SMS nonsense.

More banks need to take this approach.... or just let us use our own authenticator apps.

Same as bank app, some banks authenticator are tricky to use overseas.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Samwfive wrote: CIBC. Fongo is a no-go.
voip.ms works for CIBC/Simplii.

jerryhung wrote: Of all I use
CIBC is the worst, especially Website asking to call me EVERY SINGLE TIME for code, even on the same device, same IP
I rely on Android app mostly
I love how "remember me" doesn't even work either. I was juggling something that required logging in a bunch of times and I had to reverify each time despite being logged in 3 minutes earlier.
At least I figured out voip.ms so I didn't have to get a call with the most excruciatingly painful reading of numbers.

Also whoever thought that email was "encrypted" in any way should be shot out of a cannon.
Why you can't use your own domain vs gmail is just pants on head regarded.

RBC - easy, usually can get by with answering questions
Not that I want to get the cat out of the bag, but the "old" interface works without triggering 2FA.
You still have to answer a security question on occasion.
I almost locked myself out using the new interface because I didn't have 2FA set up correctly.
Tangerine - easy too
I *HATE* tangerine. voip doesn't work with them so I'm forced to go by phone call. I think they fixed it now but it was like 1 number every 3 seconds read out.
This bank is literally what forced me to set up a 2nd phone with Speakout and SMS forwarding to Telegram.
Eventually I'm gonna do this for everyone because screw SMS 2FA.
crunchiespg wrote: Phone them, tell them you no longer have a cell phone. They will disable it.
You win this thread. BRB doing this.
MayorOfToronto wrote: More banks need to take this approach.... or just let us use our own authenticator apps.
I don't get how this isn't a thing nowadays.
MayorOfToronto wrote:
A quick Google search brought me to this tweet by CIBC:

They claim you can receive verification codes to encrypted email addresses (such as ProtonMail).
Further down the tweet it says they disabled email altogether.
I can't believe I'm with a bank that doesn't understand security.
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: Not all banks apps will even work overseas. Youll need VPN. And even then, some block VPN. Well, they try to atleast.
I've been bit by this before.
The trick is to setup a VPN server at home and connect to that masquerading as your home address.
There's also someone like BrightData which has residential IPs for proxying purposes.
Same as bank app, some banks authenticator are tricky to use overseas.
If only there was an existing standard. /s
I don't get how banks are so behind on security and rely on stupidity like SMS and their own app.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6054 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
death_hawk wrote: I don't get how banks are so behind on security and rely on stupidity like SMS and their own app.
Gotta keep the fraud department employed somehow
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2019
1340 posts
1540 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:

I've been bit by this before.
The trick is to setup a VPN server at home and connect to that masquerading as your home address.
There's also someone like BrightData which has residential IPs for proxying purposes.

That's a pretty smart solution.

I am really glad this thread exists. Hopefully it helps people be more prepared so they don't get struck by "interesting inconveniences" and possibly getting stranded while overseas.
It was definitely a shock for me because most banks make it seem like it is OK to use them overseas no problem. RBC advertised to me at least quite often it seems you don't even have to let them know when you travel anymore to use your credit card. Which is true it will work in stores... But it's the other issues such as trying to call in logging in making online purchases etc while overseas. These issues really should not exist And the more that are aware the better.
Heck another one of my banks I even did use their system that lets you tell them when you're going away, where to and when and I still hit these issues with that Bank.