Automotive

Handwritten Parking ticket, do I need to pay for this?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2019 9:32 am
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes

Handwritten Parking ticket, do I need to pay for this?

Hi guys,
recently I got 3 tickets in UofT campus, all handwritten. The ticket paper is rough and there is city of toronto logo above. Before I did not take this seriously because all tickets issued in private parking lots of campus never appear on toronto.ca/aps website. But these 3 $30 tickets appear this time.
I think if they are in the system, I have to pay these as I need to renew plate in July. Well, something interesting happened, when I search by plate and ticket number, I can clearly see these tickets outstanding, but when I search by "Driver's license number/RIN number" or "ticket number and last name", they are not in the system. What I mean is they can only be searched with plate and ticket, but if searched with anything regarding my personal information, they cannot be found.

The reason behind these, I guess, is that my plate is personalized, with one space between letters. All other parking enforcement officers, which issued tickets with machine, can identify the space, but the handwritten officer in my campus did not identify that so tickets are not bind to my information.
Here is the question: Do I have to pay for these 3 tickets? First of all, if I request a screening, that means in the form I give out my information, then if I don't do anything, they will run a vehicle owner search, probably bind these tickets to me with extra fees.
It is a $90 deal, not that much, but hard to dispute with screening, what should I do?
24 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11644 posts
2145 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, those are official city of toronto tickets. They used to all be like that before the machines came. It will be on your record when you renew.

The reason they still write it out is their security has the full authority. Basically outsourced by-law powers. It is likely they didn't invest in the machine as actual U of T property downtown is small so they still write it out.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5954 posts
1430 upvotes
???
Parking ticket is attached to the vehicle plate not drivers license. The spaces don’t matter as system ignores spaces. You’ll have to pay for it at renewal plus admin fees which is more than $30 each close to $50 each if you pay for them at renewal.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
vaportech wrote: Parking ticket is attached to the vehicle plate not drivers license. The spaces don’t matter as system ignores spaces. You’ll have to pay for it at renewal plus admin fees which is more than $30 each close to $50 each if you pay for them at renewal.
Thx for the reply. While you are saying that a plate like ZZZZZ and ZZ ZZZ are the same plate? Because I think if they got something wrong with the plate number it's my chance to fight them. Per your information, I know that even space matters they can still locate my plate number in database by make and eliminating space. So I'd better not do nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15725 posts
13472 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just throw it out. It’s handwritten, so it must be fake.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Just throw it out. It’s handwritten, so it must be fake.
Before I think as same as you are, while this time this handwritten tickets are entering system, which I can find on parking dispute website of Toronto.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
at1212b wrote: Yes, those are official city of toronto tickets. They used to all be like that before the machines came. It will be on your record when you renew.

The reason they still write it out is their security has the full authority. Basically outsourced by-law powers. It is likely they didn't invest in the machine as actual U of T property downtown is small so they still write it out.
Thx for reply. I am going to fight them, but my renew is in July, the screening is not likely processed before that( for my past experience, it takes more than 3 months), if all 3 tickets are screening scheduled status, can I renew my plate?
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11644 posts
2145 upvotes
Toronto
WaterBro wrote: Thx for reply. I am going to fight them, but my renew is in July, the screening is not likely processed before that( for my past experience, it takes more than 3 months), if all 3 tickets are screening scheduled status, can I renew my plate?
I think you have 2 weeks from date of offense to elect a court date. Not sure how that would work. Should call or visit a local MTO office and ask.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
at1212b wrote: I think you have 2 weeks from date of offense to elect a court date. Not sure how that would work. Should call or visit a local MTO office and ask.
Yes, I have already put these 3 tickets with in-person screening, but there is one $60 ticket online screening, which I cannot change to in-person now. But it might not give any result before July.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5954 posts
1430 upvotes
???
WaterBro wrote: Thx for the reply. While you are saying that a plate like ZZZZZ and ZZ ZZZ are the same plate? Because I think if they got something wrong with the plate number it's my chance to fight them. Per your information, I know that even space matters they can still locate my plate number in database by make and eliminating space. So I'd better not do nothing.
Yes the space doesn’t matter.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
vaportech wrote: Yes the space doesn’t matter.
Understood. May I ask is there any good saying to against these kinds of tickets (park in private property without a valid consent) but in campus rather than condo etc.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4721 posts
5737 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just don't pay it but don't forget to come back to tell us what happens when you renew.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
WaterBro wrote: Understood. May I ask is there any good saying to against these kinds of tickets (park in private property without a valid consent) but in campus rather than condo etc.
No. You parked pay up.
Banned
May 9, 2019
277 posts
283 upvotes
Is it the yellow one?
if it has metro hall as an address on it to pay for it/or setup a court date, then it's legit.

You use to be able to take these to court and plead guilty with an explanation, get the charge reduced...but you can't really do that anymore. now it's guilty or not.
If you plead guilty, you lose and will probably end up paying $50 for the $30 ticket.

If you plead not guilty, will be hard to win unless you have proof you paid, or were parked legit. Unless you have an ace up your sleeve, will be hard to win.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28383 posts
8826 upvotes
at1212b wrote: Yes, those are official city of toronto tickets. They used to all be like that before the machines came. It will be on your record when you renew.
Ah yes before the machines came, life was good. Humans flourished and were free, now we are miserable and must serve our robot masters :(

j/k :lol:

But seriously, OP must be what, like 12? I mean are there really people of driving age these days that don't realise tickets used to be written by hand or that handheld printers didn't always exist? I mean those things are not that new.

Weird.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Ah yes before the machines came, life was good. Humans flourished and were free, now we are miserable and must serve our robot masters :(

j/k :lol:

But seriously, OP must be what, like 12? I mean are there really people of driving age these days that don't realise tickets used to be written by hand or that handheld printers didn't always exist? I mean those things are not that new.

Weird.
lol. I am in college so definitely over 20, but I came to Canada 3 years ago so handwritten tickets are rare to see.

Btw, an interesting fact is that, in China where I am from, tickets are all issued by cameras. There is no officer involved in any minor convictions like parking, speeding and running red light. So used to give a bar of cigars worth 200 bucks to traffic control guy monthly and he will clear all tickets. Make me ignorant and unfamiliar on how to deal with canadian tickets.
Aug 6, 2017
614 posts
942 upvotes
You’re willing to pay 200 bucks of cigars to clear your tickets in China but make a fuss here about paying $90 worth of tickets here? Smh
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4189 posts
3475 upvotes
Oakville, ON
WaterBro wrote: lol. I am in college so definitely over 20, but I came to Canada 3 years ago so handwritten tickets are rare to see.

Btw, an interesting fact is that, in China where I am from, tickets are all issued by cameras. There is no officer involved in any minor convictions like parking, speeding and running red light. So used to give a bar of cigars worth 200 bucks to traffic control guy monthly and he will clear all tickets. Make me ignorant and unfamiliar on how to deal with canadian tickets.
If you committed the infraction then pay the fine.