• Apr 30th, 2021 11:24 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1751 posts
1461 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Hang Projector from Drop Ceiling?

Hello, I would like to hang a projector from the metal brackets on my drop ceiling. Are there any solutions for that or will I have to basically hack something to get it to work?

The projector does have a 1/4"-20 screw mount that I have mounted on camera tripods before.

8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2223 posts
371 upvotes
Торонто
Won't be strong enough. The t channels are literally strong enough to hold just the panels.
You'll probably have to make a hole in one of the panels and secure your projector frame directly to your joists or some type or framing that's strong enough to hold the weight if your projector
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2871 posts
1638 upvotes
Mississauga
how big/ heavy is the projector. Usually any decent projector is quite heavy and it will not be a good idea to support them just on these brackets.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1751 posts
1461 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
o0vL wrote: Won't be strong enough. The t channels are literally strong enough to hold just the panels.
You'll probably have to make a hole in one of the panels and secure your projector frame directly to your joists or some type or framing that's strong enough to hold the weight if your projector
I see so its hole in joist or my other option is hole in wall, OK thanks
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13772 posts
8485 upvotes
Markham
Rather than using a projector [only bigger heavy duty commercial ones can handle the light in the room], you can consider mounting a large TV on a Articulating TV mount. That's what I did in my work board room.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1687 posts
778 upvotes
GTA
gr8dlr wrote: Rather than using a projector [only bigger heavy duty commercial ones can handle the light in the room], you can consider mounting a large TV on a Articulating TV mount. That's what I did in my work board room.
Another option that we suggest is to have a screen on a rolling cart like these: https://www.displays2go.ca/P-36012/Conf ... &sid=22269
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13772 posts
8485 upvotes
Markham
exrcoupe wrote: Another option that we suggest is to have a screen on a rolling cart like these: https://www.displays2go.ca/P-36012/Conf ... &sid=22269
Yes. Depending on how seating is configured this can work but ppl walking by will affect the projected image. Commercial projectors with enough light power are relatively expensive which is why I somewhat like the use of TVs. You can actually send slideshows over the web even...no cables to hook up.

With 75" TVs coming in less than $1000 now, it's a pretty economical way to go.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5077 posts
1540 upvotes
0 downvotes
the projector has a mount that attaches to the ceiling but in your case it goes to the Joist above the ceiling tile, then the pole comes down and you simply cut a hole in the tile and shove it back in so you only see a small portion of the black pole.
Hi