• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2017 11:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4343 posts
1439 upvotes

Hanging Electrical Wires

I have a fluorescent light fixture in my basement that the previous owner of the house put in ... it has been wired to a light switch but the wires are connected with those twist connectors and heavily taped up with electrical tape.

I was able to trace the wiring on this ...

#1 - a 14/2 electrical cable was run from the single bulb light fixture (the one in front of the fluorescent tube fixture) to a light switch on the wall
#2 - a second 14/2 electrical cable was run from the light switch on the wall to the fluorescent tube fixture and then connected to the electrical wires coming out from the top of the fluorescent tube fixture
#3 - the black with black ... white with white ... ground with ground ... all three connected using screw on connectors and then taped with electrical tape around the connector

Is this safe?

If not ... what can be done?

IMAG6628.jpg
IMAG6629.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL. Polk Audio S35 - Center. Klipsch R51M - RR+RL & R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL. Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2.
20 replies
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
I can not see the images, maybe they did not upload completely?
Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4343 posts
1439 upvotes
Here are the photos again with close ups ... there is a small hole at the top of the fluorescent tube fixture where the electrical wires from the transformer was wired out to meet the 14/2 electrical wire from the light switch ...

IMAG6628.jpg
IMAG6629.jpg
IMAG6630.jpg
IMAG6632.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL. Polk Audio S35 - Center. Klipsch R51M - RR+RL & R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL. Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16914 posts
1745 upvotes
Thornhill
I believe the splices should be in a J box or in the light fixture itself.

Cool use of colour-codes tape though :)

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Its called A Junction box not a J box and yes its illegal without one
Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4343 posts
1439 upvotes
So basically speaking ... I just need to go to Home Depot and pickup one of those PVC Round Junction Box – 1/2 Inch and then disconnect the current wiring ... thread the wiring through the holes on the junction box and then reconnect them with new screw connectors and electrical tape them ... then cover up the junction box.

Or would the Octagonal Box 1-1/2 In. Deep KO work with a cover (obviously)??

Is that correct???
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1115 posts
485 upvotes
York Region
I hate these previous owner surprises. I had a few at my current house including a hidden live wire dangling in the storage room.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4343 posts
1439 upvotes
bacalhau4me wrote: I hate these previous owner surprises. I had a few at my current house including a hidden live wire dangling in the storage room.
They even did some crap framing of the basement as well (which I tore down and re-did) ... code is 16" OC ... he had them at various distances (anywhere from 14" to 19" OC ... what a joke!

And one of the walls were ONLY half filled with pink insulation behind a dry wall ... why half the wall??? OMG!

One of the drain pipes that go directly into the ground was completely sealed it by drywall ... GOSH!

The electrical wiring was just hanging from the ceiling ... didn't even bother to bore some holes through the joists ...

A lot of fun! A lot of confusion! A lot of laughs!

Thanks guys ... guess I'm gonna make a trip to Home Depot to get the job done correctly myself.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4211 posts
1460 upvotes
WFH
bacalhau4me wrote: I hate these previous owner surprises. I had a few at my current house including a hidden live wire dangling in the storage room.
My best one was a live metal corner bead in the basement. The sharp exposed top of the corner bead had cut through the insulation of a cable that had been pulled taught over the top of it.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4217 posts
3514 upvotes
Toronto
The cables also have too much slack in them, and should be stapled to the joists (careful not to put a staple through the cable) or run perpendicular to the joists, not all willy nilly.

All that being said, as it's unfinished space and as long as the wire connectors are tight and the connections are out of reach, there's very little immediate danger, if you have other things to work on first.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9400 posts
4852 upvotes
Paris
AV-Fishing wrote: They even did some crap framing of the basement as well (which I tore down and re-did) ... code is 16" OC ... he had them at various distances (anywhere from 14" to 19" OC ... what a joke!

And one of the walls were ONLY half filled with pink insulation behind a dry wall ... why half the wall??? OMG!

One of the drain pipes that go directly into the ground was completely sealed it by drywall ... GOSH!

The electrical wiring was just hanging from the ceiling ... didn't even bother to bore some holes through the joists ...

A lot of fun! A lot of confusion! A lot of laughs!

Thanks guys ... guess I'm gonna make a trip to Home Depot to get the job done correctly myself.
Code for wall framing isn't 16" OC. Can also be 24". Or might need to be 12". Depends on if its a support wall or not.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15941 posts
4803 upvotes
London
Wiring to the lamp needs to be replaced as well with nmd90 (just a short section)

Lamp ballast -> marettes to nmd90 inside lamp -> nmd90 -> new junction box -> marettes inside new junction box
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9400 posts
4852 upvotes
Paris
dirtmover wrote: My best one was a live metal corner bead in the basement. The sharp exposed top of the corner bead had cut through the insulation of a cable that had been pulled taught over the top of it.
My personal favourite was years back a company I worked for was building a new facility. I hung out at lunch with the IT guy (maybe 50ish employees) so we would swing by the building and check on electrical drops, wire drops, and so he could have a smoke break. He touched a wall with wet mud on it and got an electrical shock. Turns out they drywalled and mudded over an outlet and the electrician was wiring it up and putting in outlets. Check the drawings, tap the wall and sure enough there was the box. Live wires touching the wet mud make for a shocking experience.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16914 posts
1745 upvotes
Thornhill
I found scraps of PT lumber and a few garden spikes used to frame part of my basement.

bjl
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4343 posts
1439 upvotes
t3359 wrote: I found scraps of PT lumber and a few garden spikes used to frame part of my basement.

bjl
very constructive response. I like it very much. So it's drinking out of the toilet as well right?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16914 posts
1745 upvotes
Thornhill
AV-Fishing wrote: very constructive response. I like it very much. So it's drinking out of the toilet as well right?
? I was just continuing on Jerico and your comments on weird things the previous owner did to our homes.

bjl
Apr 18, 2011
313 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
AV-Fishing wrote: And one of the walls were ONLY half filled with pink insulation behind a dry wall ... why half the wall??? OMG!
In Toronto, if the insulation is 4 ft down from the outside ground level, it is to the code.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9400 posts
4852 upvotes
Paris
Bayan wrote: In Toronto, if the insulation is 4 ft down from the outside ground level, it is to the code.
New construction is R20 to the floor in Ontario. Not sure about reno's, I think its not as strict but would need to check.