• Apr 24th, 2020 7:47 pm
[OP]
Jan 4, 2004
416 posts
74 upvotes
Richmond

Hanging a Storage Rack on an Engineered Joist

Hi,

Just a quick opinion for those familiar with Engineered joists and garage storage.

I'm going to purchase a versarack from Costco to install in my garage, which is built with Engineered Joists.

I will cut open the drywall, and reinforce as per the manual picture below.
I have 2 questions if anyone can chime in:
1) The 2x8, should it sit 'snug' against the bottom track of the joist, or should there be a gap. I just do not know structurally how these things work.
2) Since the manual is very clear, i assume its very safe? I won't be putting anything crazy up there. No tires or anything. Just xmas decor, ski gear, etc.

The instruction manual says this:
Capture.JPG
4 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4030 posts
1244 upvotes
Oshawa
Three weeks back, since I was working from home, had nothing better else to do. Decided to extend the shelving that I built initially when we moved in.

This was the side where I wanted to mount the extra shelf ... not for heavy stuff ...

IMG_20200327_084400.jpg

With a little planning, it was done in 3 hours ...

IMG_20200327_143930.jpg
IMG_20200327_123924.jpg
IMG_20200327_123932.jpg
IMG_20200327_134651.jpg
IMG_20200327_134713.jpg

This shelf is strong enough now to withhold anything.

IMG_20200327_180513.jpg
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2892 posts
1123 upvotes
Here are your answers...

1) the 'block' installed should rest on the bottom track or rail of the engineered joist, simply to make installation easier. The downward force of the system when loaded will be borne through the ends of that block to the vertical joist members, and not directly to the bottom track or rail.

2) totally safe, you could likely hang an automobile transmission or a few million dollars worth of gold blocks without any measurable deflection of the two joists, when properly installed.

an added note, when you do the installation, apply a bead of PL-Premium (smooth it dowh first) or similar construction adhesive to both ends of the block you install, then drill and install your lag bolts
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Jan 4, 2004
416 posts
74 upvotes
Richmond
fieldhousehandyman wrote: Here are your answers...

1) the 'block' installed should rest on the bottom track or rail of the engineered joist, simply to make installation easier. The downward force of the system when loaded will be borne through the ends of that block to the vertical joist members, and not directly to the bottom track or rail.

2) totally safe, you could likely hang an automobile transmission or a few million dollars worth of gold blocks without any measurable deflection of the two joists, when properly installed.

an added note, when you do the installation, apply a bead of PL-Premium (smooth it dowh first) or similar construction adhesive to both ends of the block you install, then drill and install your lag bolts
Awesome! Thanks so much. 1 follow up question:
how do I get the block in place :)
I mean, if i cut the 2x8 to the correct size, the flange at the bottom prevents me from inserting straight in. And if i cut it right to the right size, i don't see how I can slide in perpendicular and turn it to fit in place?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2264 posts
1249 upvotes
Alliston, ON
gti303 wrote: Awesome! Thanks so much. 1 follow up question:
how do I get the block in place :)
I mean, if i cut the 2x8 to the correct size, the flange at the bottom prevents me from inserting straight in. And if i cut it right to the right size, i don't see how I can slide in perpendicular and turn it to fit in place?
Turn it sideways to slide into place, push it as close as you can to being straight, then hammer the rest if it's a bit tight. Cut it a 1/16" short to help and the nails will pull it tight