• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 10:36 am
[OP]
Nov 15, 2006
551 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto

Hanging wires from the basement ceiling

I recently acquired a "newer" home (like 3-5 years old). The basement is unfinished and I find that there are many white thin wires which are hanging down from the basement ceiling. It seems to be made by the builder but I have no way getting anyone from the builder to ask. It also seems to me that each wire is having a window above it on the G/F. Will that be some kind of rough-in for window security sensor? Is it a regular feature that every window will have this now?

Thanks for your thoughts.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1368 posts
1127 upvotes
Yes the white wire is to connect a sensor. Usually it is a premium, something the original buyer asked and paid for. Not too far from the electrical panel should be the other end of all those white wires.
Gone on vacation.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2006
551 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: Yes the white wire is to connect a sensor. Usually it is a premium, something the original buyer asked and paid for. Not too far from the electrical panel should be the other end of all those white wires.
Thanks @TomLafinsky. Those wires are hanging from the ceiling without connecting to anything. That’s why I am puzzling how to make use of them.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10862 posts
2692 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Post some photos
0_o
<_<
>_>
Nov 23, 2011
51 posts
34 upvotes
It's the wiring for a security system. Ours had this too but we never went out and purchased a system because we thought it was a waste of money. Some builders include this without paying extra.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2006
551 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
Is that possible I go and get a security system somewhere and connect to those wires?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4015 posts
1172 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Those are called "rough in" wires, you do not do anything with them unless you want a wired alarm system installed. The actual INSTALLER will either connect to those existing wires or in my case use them as a pull string and fish new wires to the windows and doors and install the sensors. new wires pulled are better, less breaks in the alarm wiring means one less problem to worry about. if u never intend to install an alarm then forget about it and tape them up and tuck them in the joist or something.
Hi