Wheels and Tires

Hankook winter tires lifespan

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2020 6:53 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 30, 2013
582 posts
484 upvotes
prairies

Hankook winter tires lifespan

I purchased some Hankook winter tires for my 2014 Corolla LE 4 winters ago. Only do city driving with probably 30-40k on them max. Ive noticed the front tires seem to have plenty of cracks on the outer wall face of the tire and the rear tires are relatively smooth, with some minor cracks. Is that normal wear for that much use? Should I be expecting more mileage out of these tires? curious if its the right time to purchase winter tires for next year.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3047 posts
3155 upvotes
GTA
I have winter tires that old with the same mileage, but no cracks.

Depending on how bad the cracks are, it might be time for new tires.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6282 posts
943 upvotes
Maybe the tires were already old from sitting around in a warehouse when you bought them. There's a date code on the side of the tires. Do a Google search to find out how to locate and read it.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
12358 posts
7240 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
The question is, where did you store the tires? What climate? Exposure?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Member
Aug 8, 2004
418 posts
230 upvotes
Ottawa
Aerospace 303 can help prevent this in the future.

Apply to the sidewall once in a while and it’ll protect the rubber from UV damage. It’s water based so safe to use.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
9837 posts
1944 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Post some photos of the cracks.
How old are the tires?

Generally you do not want any cracks on the tires as it can be very dangerous if a tire blows.
marcfar wrote: I purchased some Hankook winter tires for my 2014 Corolla LE 4 winters ago. Only do city driving with probably 30-40k on them max. Ive noticed the front tires seem to have plenty of cracks on the outer wall face of the tire and the rear tires are relatively smooth, with some minor cracks. Is that normal wear for that much use? Should I be expecting more mileage out of these tires? curious if its the right time to purchase winter tires for next year.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 30, 2013
582 posts
484 upvotes
prairies
IcarusLSC wrote: Pics?
Near the inside edge. It was way more apparent the other week. When tires were lower in air.
You can see along the bottom of the "radial" letters, and the other pic is pretty obvious.
Images
  • IMG_20200325_134909.jpg
  • IMG_20200325_134909.jpg
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
13152 posts
7468 upvotes
Toronto
marcfar wrote: Near the inside edge. It was way more apparent the other week. When tires were lower in air.
You can see along the bottom of the "radial" letters, and the other pic is pretty obvious.
Yeah, time to replace. It varies from manufacture to manufacture. Some suggest replacing after 7 years, some 10 provided there are no cracks or bad wear.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
9837 posts
1944 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Replace the tires not worth the risk and chances are they are older and probably in need of being replaced soon.

I recommend,
Simply Tire
OR
Tires23
marcfar wrote: Near the inside edge. It was way more apparent the other week. When tires were lower in air.
You can see along the bottom of the "radial" letters, and the other pic is pretty obvious.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7684 posts
2281 upvotes
marcfar wrote: 2814
So 6 years old.

They have had a good run. Might be time for a new set, if they are starting to crack and show dry rot.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2699 posts
1053 upvotes
GTA
Definitely done because of the cracking.
Sometimes even "not so old" tires get cracked like these, and unfortunately, it's time to replace them.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)