[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22788 posts
21630 upvotes
Eastern Ontario

HAPPY CANADA DAY - It’s now a Deal Day

Hi Everyone,

Posting this here as a Shopping Discussion ...

Seems Canada Day is now a Shopping Deal Day.
I don’t recall this in previous years ... used to be just Grocery Store Deals on Pop, Burgers & Fixings, maybe some Steaks, or Cdn Seafood

But this year, my inbox is full of emails advertising one day deals / offers to CELEBRATE CANADA DAY Regional Indicator Symbol Letters Ca

Maybe it’s cuz Covid has left Cdn Retailers hurting, and Cdns just plain bored of not getting out to shop much these last 4 months
But hey ... I welcome the distraction

So take a little time to read your mail, and check out the various offers (many listed of course on the RFD HOT DEALS FORUM )

But so far ... my inbox has revealed some promising deals & even FREEBIES from a whole bunch of Cdn Retailers

* PetroCanada
* Costco.ca
* LCBO
* Chapters / Indigo
* Gap Canada
* Staples
* Bed Bath & Beyond Canada
* HBC / The Bay

So far I’ve collected my FREE 500 PetroCanada Bonus Points ... just because it’s Canada Day
Picked up a few deals c/o Costco.ca
And am looking at Cdn Authored Books on Indigo

May not be a rockin Canada Day like past ones with a big bash
But shopping for a few good deals, can still make it a party worth celebrating
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7607 posts
1681 upvotes
Scarborough
With economy in tatters and uncertainty about jobs that could be lost, its best to SAVE that money for basics
Food and Shelter

Dont be spending unnecessary.
Save for hard times ahead. Accumulating some “points” is pretty useless.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7299 posts
2297 upvotes
Richmond Hill
apnayloags wrote: With economy in tatters and uncertainty about jobs that could be lost, its best to SAVE that money for basics
Food and Shelter

or spend money to stimulate the economy?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22788 posts
21630 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
apnayloags wrote: With economy in tatters and uncertainty about jobs that could be lost, its best to SAVE that money for basics
Food and Shelter

Depends how you look at it ... I guess

I am far more a glass half full thinker ... than a glass half empty
Do believe that attitude is important in hard times

Do not see Covid as taking us down for the count just yet

My FREE PetroCanada Canada Day Points were enough to push me over the $ 20 mark
(Haven’t been buying much gas at PetroCanada or anywhere else these last 4 months)

So I will be cashing that in for $ 20 worth of gasoline

Definitely falls on my list of ESSENTIALS ... Food, Shelter, Utilities, Transportation

Stuff I got at Costco ... again things at an excellent price
And on my NEEDS ... and not wants list

The Books at Chapters / Indigo ... ok that was pure luxury ... but not lavish
Always read during the summer ... and nice to save some money on these too
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9972 posts
7903 upvotes
Kootenays
Thanks PointsHubby. I bought the earrings at Costco for my wife for our upcoming anniversary!
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15161 posts
6230 upvotes
RFD
Food and Shelter

With the current COVID-19 situation, it really shows that life is too damn short and we can die at any time. We can do all we can and stay home yet when we go out that one time to buy groceries, we still can pick up the virus from others and potentially die. Life is too damn short. Spend your money. Obviously don't go above what you are able to afford, but if you can afford it, buy it and be happy with the time you have left on earth. You can't bring your saved up money to the grave and nor should you give it to your children when you die since they just gonna spend it. May as well spend your own money on yourself or spend your money and give onto others such as your family or strangers. Just my two cents.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13037 posts
8284 upvotes
Markham
PointsHubby wrote: Depends how you look at it ... I guess

I am far more a glass half full thinker ... than a glass half empty
Do believe that attitude is important in hard times

Do not see Covid as taking us down for the count just yet

My FREE PetroCanada Canada Day Points were enough to push me over the $ 20 mark
(Haven’t been buying much gas at PetroCanada or anywhere else these last 4 months)

So I will be cashing that in for $ 20 worth of gasoline

Definitely falls on my list of ESSENTIALS ... Food, Shelter, Utilities, Transportation

Stuff I got at Costco ... again things at an excellent price
And on my NEEDS ... and not wants list

The Books at Chapters / Indigo ... ok that was pure luxury ... but not lavish
Always read during the summer ... and nice to save some money on these too
Agree other part

Just want to point out reading is an investment, not luxury:)
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13037 posts
8284 upvotes
Markham
I think what we really need do is think about past spending patterns and whether we can or should change after business reopen

For example, we use to go to restaurant every weekend and restaurant probably was biggest single spending category, but since lock down, we cooked at home all the time, so after reopen, we might still go to restaurant, but not that often. Another example is coffee, used to have Starbucks twice a day, don't think will continue even after we back to office since i brew at home now and totally love it

But for some of them, for example travel, if situation allows, we will still have one international travel per year, it's good to let kid see the difference world and enjoy different cultures

If we don't spend, economy won't be good which will come back to hurt us as well, but we should optimize our spending, cannot act nothing happened and tomorrow is same as yesterday

And thanks OP!