[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
336 upvotes
In another world

Is it hard to build a website?

I'm more a visual person (WYSIWYG).
I used to use visual tools like Delphi and VB to create applications.
It was great that I could just drop components like buttons, edit boxes, drop down lists, etc. into a form; stretched them, arranged them in any way, then run the app and it would look the same as I built it.
I miss that when I try to create a webpage.

Yes, there are companies that allow to create online websites with their visual tools, ie: Wix, Web[dot]com,... etc. but I don't want to purchase a subscription to those.

I have tried Xara Web Designer, but it creates weird HTML code that is hard to modify when trying to inspect.

I have played around with Dreamweaver, but it's not that easy to use for beginners.

I know some HTML and CSS, but one of the hardest part I find, is the set up of the webpage components.
I can come up with the position of a paragraph, then when I see the resulting page, it's not where I thought it would be, so I waste too much time trying to arrange it.
If I read a tutorial, if I copy the code, everything fits perfectly in the rendering page, but if I try it on my own, it turns like a Picasso painting.

How come there are many beautiful websites around? Are their developers that smart and talented?
How come people say "almost everybody" can build a website?
Am I that dumb then? :rolleyes:
11 replies
Apr 20, 2011
250 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
look up wordpress. its based on templates and it's template wizard is visual. you don't need to know any html/css for basic website.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21971 posts
2581 upvotes
@OP

Setup XAMPP
https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

From this environment, you can learn HTML, CSS, MYSQL, JAVA, PHP etc

Watch some tutorials on Youtube to help out

Don't use software like Xara Web Designer, use Notepad or Notepad++ and code !!

In the real world, websites rely on CMS software such as Wordpress or Drupal

Drupal is more technical and has a steeper learning curve than Wordpress but it's way more customizable imo.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1251 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
If you have hosting and domain, install Wordpress and you'll have a website up and running in minutes. I'm a complete coding dumb dumb, but still managed to get a couple websites up and running :)
"signature removed for rule violations" Hell ya, that's what we do! 😝
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
336 upvotes
In another world
I've signed up to WordPress and created a quick webpage, but I can't control many things like image layouts. Perhaps I need to dig in more.
And if I want CSS I'd have to upgrade my plan.

I've used WAMPin the past.
I see I can I use WAMP with WordPress.
I wonder if I could redesign the webpage created with WordPress locally by accessing its HTML code with Dreamweaver for example?
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1251 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
gontori wrote: I've signed up to WordPress and created a quick webpage, but I can't control many things like image layouts. Perhaps I need to dig in more.
And if I want CSS I'd have to upgrade my plan.

I've used WAMPin the past.
I see I can I use WAMP with WordPress.
I wonder if I could redesign the webpage created with WordPress locally by accessing its HTML code with Dreamweaver for example?
Gatta upgrade, or self host https://wordpress.org/
"signature removed for rule violations" Hell ya, that's what we do! 😝
Jul 22, 2017
249 posts
172 upvotes
Pingu in the city
How come there are many beautiful websites around? Are their developers that smart and talented? How come people say "almost everybody" can build a website?
Yes, everybody can build a basic website based on pure HTML + CSS using dreamweaver/Xara/webbuilders, but it's also the old version of website building.
A better functional website in next stage would be any CMS(ie. PHP ones like wordpress, joomla, or build your own with laravel)+database+AJAX+(optional UI framework like bootstrap).
The smart and talented ones you asked.. I'm assuming you mean the ones who built the dynamic sites with animations and mobile view-port supported in current days? They are probably the ones who learned the newer trends and working with those frameworks. (ie. The big three : React/Angular/Vue , webpack etc...).

There are many major changes in web development in these 10 years. Some old knowledge were getting replaced/changed (MySQL -> NoSQL; PHP -> Node; etc) and some were new stuff. (Webpack, linters, etc) You can see all the keywords in this 2019 roadmap: https://github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

If you want to build a site fast without getting into complicated learning curves, yes, wordpress would be a good direction since you only need to learn about the template system and nothing too difficult to handle at the backend.
But if you want to be a web developer (front end) in the market, pick one of these big three : React/Angular/Vue along with all the basics (HTML 5.0, CSS, AJAX, bootstrap, SASS, BEM).

Hope this helps.
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter | Kalita narrow-mouthed pot | %
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
770 upvotes
centre of universe
Is it hard to build a website?
Not anymore.
Am I that dumb then? :rolleyes:
No.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
336 upvotes
In another world
callernamet wrote: Not anymore.

No.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Smiling Face With Open Mouth

And thank you all for the inputs.

I have set up XAMPP with WordPress and will play around with it and see what happens.

Until a couple of hours ago I didn't know there's wordpress.org and wordpress.com :rolleyes:
I was using wordpress.com and the limitations are vast in comparison with the org counterpart.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3186 posts
3255 upvotes
Vancouver
One caution about using WordPress: because WordPress sites are so common on the internet, and they tend to use a lot of third-party plugins, it's a major target for hackers. You must be diligent about keeping your WordPress software and plugins up to date and monitoring for suspicious activity.
Aug 17, 2012
372 posts
467 upvotes
Victoria
As others have said, WordPress is your ticket. There are tons of free templates and you can basically switch between them while keeping the same content (with a few tweaks, of course).

If you want some more customization then install a WP plugin called Elementor. It allows you to build pages in customizable blocks that give you that modern Apple style where you scroll down and each section has a new layout.

Flexibility always corresponds to complexity in web design. If you want something easy then it will always be somewhat restrictive. If you want to make great custom designs then you will have to eventually become a CSS and JS/jQuery guru. You can use an editor that gives you live preview, that helps a lot.

Many people also use frameworks like Bootstrap to simplify the coding aspects of design. Just be aware that bootstrap will wreak havoc on your vanilla CSS and you'll probably be doing some troubleshooting at some point.

Never forget the importance of responsive and adaptive design for websites. Because there are so many different devices with completely different viewports, you need to make sure your website looks great and is accessible on all of them. WordPress will do this automatically and there are Bootstrap tools to achieve this. Otherwise you can make your own CSS media queries.