Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 21, 2019
746 posts
727 upvotes

A hard hitting credit card trio

http://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2019/05/a- ... t.html?m=1

A hard hitting credit card trio that provides over $4,000 in potential welcome bonus value.

After writing the piece on How the current TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card sign up offer of up to 30,000 miles can provide huge value, I started thinking that you could nearly triple that value with just two more cards. How so? There are two other cards on the market that will get you at least 25,000 Aeroplan Miles with their welcome bonuses and come with reasonable annual gees. In fact, if you end up taking all three cards you could end up with 80,000 Aeroplan Miles. Those cards are the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card, the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card and the American Express Gold Rewards Card.

At the time of posting the welcome bonuses on the three cards are as follows:
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card
Up to 30,000 Aeroplan® Miles (that's the equivalent to 2 short-haul roundtrip flight rewards+). Plus get a 1st year annual fee rebate for the primary cardholder as follows: Welcome Bonus of 15,000 Aeroplan Miles when you make your first Purchase with your Card + 15,000 Aeroplan Miles when you spend $1,000 within 90 days of Account opening
Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card
New Marriott Bonvoy™* American Express® Cardmembers earn 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points enough for 4 free nights at a Category 2 hotel after you charge $1,500 in purchases to your Card in your first three months of Cardmembership.*Offer subject to change at any time
American Express Gold Rewards Card
New American Express® Gold Rewards Cardmembers can earn a Welcome Bonus of 25,000 Membership Rewards® points just by making $1,500 in purchases in the first three months of Cardmembership *
Now you may be asking, the latter two cards aren't showing Aeroplan Miles as their currency. You are correct however the points they earn can be converted to Aeroplan. For the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card, Marriott points transfer at a 3 to 1 ratio to Aeroplan. That means the 60,000 points will net 20,000 Aeroplan miles, however Marriott kicks in an additional 5,000 miles for every 60,000 points transferred which means you would receive 25,000 Aeroplan Miles. For the American Express Gold Rewards Card, the Membership Rewards points it earns transfer to Aeroplan 1:1 so its 25,000 point welcome bonus equals 25,000 Aeroplan Miles.

Between the three cards you would have 80,000 Aeroplan Miles and based on the TD post we mentioned earlier we found redemption values as high as 5.8 cents per mile. 80,000 miles at 5.8 cents equates to $4,640 of value from the three welcome bonuses. Now the TD card is first year free at time of posting (offer ends June 2, 2019) however both of the Amex cards are not. They have annual fees of $120 and $150 which when subtracted from the $4,640 of value gives you net value of $4,370.

That's right $4,370 in travel value from three credit card sign up bonuses.
9 replies
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14071 posts
11726 upvotes
Not Leask
You say $4k+ in WB's from three cards?
  1. TD API - 30k AP that promo will expire next month. It's definitely a historical peak if I'm not mistaken. Say you get 3cpp on AP, that's $900 value. But, AP doesn't work for all of us. Blackout dates, high taxes, etc. Few routes will give you 3+ cpp, so I can't value this at $900 value WB. Sure, if you value the Maple Leafs lounge passes, then maybe you can stretch the value... FYF usually only during the winter when the promo peaks
  2. Bonvoy 60k WB. Reverse that to 50k AmEx MR. At 1cpp, that's $500. Can definitely get more than 1cpp via FFP transfer. But, how many of us are getting 2+cpp (counting cpp by regressing into its equivalence in MR) via Bonvoy? No FYF btw, so must factor that in
  3. AmEx Gold 25k MR WB. Again, highly depends on FFP transfer efficiency. Rarely FYF afaik, something to factor in

Other challenges...
  • promo fluctuations
  • FFP/rewards devaluations
  • Product devaluations
  • etc.

I'm sure there are many RFDers who churn those cards. There are definitely good outlets to earn is whichever pts flavour suits you best. But it's a big "everyone's situation is different" on which cards to grab...unless you're willing to travel anywhere and are prepared to hoard all kinds of pts.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4326 posts
2716 upvotes
Since my plans are to only apply for personal cc's, all three are on my hit list. I already have the TD API card with the 35K targeted offer. The Bonvoy and AmEx Gold, I've yet to apply for. Prefer to choose our own accommodation when travelling, and only interested in the points for flights, so Bonvoy will be transferred to Alaska Miles for 25,000 points, or else Aeroplan when they have one of their 30% promotions for 32,500 points.

Being flexible in travel dates is not a problem here, but I don't see that happening on "points only" for two travelling overseas in J class for at least another two to three years minimum, and with devaluations possibly longer. In the meantime just have to be content paying for premium economy in long haul which we've been doing for the last few years.

Not too many other decent cc choices out there that have fyf or a low annual fee. along with minimum spend between $1000 - $1500 in first three months, but these three most certainly do.

Thanks for posting.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2019
746 posts
727 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: You say $4k+ in WB's from three cards?
Rewards Canada, who wrote the article claims $4k.
I don’t do AP at all, so I have no idea what kind of value one could extract from that program.
I just found the article headline interesting, so I read it.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14071 posts
11726 upvotes
Not Leask
masterman wrote: Rewards Canada, who wrote the article claims $4k.
I don’t do AP at all, so I have no idea what kind of value one could extract from that program.
I just found the article headline interesting, so I read it.
Ah. Then you could have put copy-paste text in quote formatting and include your reaction to the article for that to be clear Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6522 posts
5688 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Ah. Then you could have put copy-paste text in quote formatting and include your reaction to the article for that to be clear Smiling Face With Sunglasses
For a second there I thought @masterman wrote it.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2019
746 posts
727 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Ah. Then you could have put copy-paste text in quote formatting and include your reaction to the article for that to be clear Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Sorry, I figured the link right at the beginning was enough :lol:
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1932 posts
4160 upvotes
Markham
I squeeze a lot of value from my Aeroplan points, and I can extract maybe ~3.7 cents per mile from my points (I'm already redeeming long haul J fares).

Going with a 5.8 cents per miles, as an average redemption value, is beyond optimistic. I'd say it's just BS to push people into using their referral links.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14071 posts
11726 upvotes
Not Leask
Dave510 wrote: I squeeze a lot of value from my Aeroplan points, and I can extract maybe ~3.7 cents per mile from my points (I'm already redeeming long haul J fares).

Going with a 5.8 cents per miles, as an average redemption value, is beyond optimistic. I'd say it's just BS to push people into using their referral links.
This. Well in this case affiliate links, but end result is the same thing. These websites make their money by pushing the products of their partners. We already know that big five, AmEx and sometimes the bank subbies partner up with bloggers to have their products praised.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]