• Sep 16th, 2019 8:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13454 posts
3588 upvotes
Montréal

Hard to pickup free Wi-Fi

Does anyone have problems logging onto the various login pages in order to use the mall's, restaurant's, etc, free wifi? It rarely automatically pops up when I open my browser, so either it takes ages of me messing around trying to access various pages in order to trigger their login page or it fails to appear. Not sure if there's a foolproof way. Only work-around is I bookmark places I frequent so I load up their webpage immediately and login, but ofc this doesn't work for new places.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3205 posts
3270 upvotes
Vancouver
If you don't see the "Sign in to WiFi network?" notification, try turning WiFi on your phone off and on again. That usually triggers the prompt for me.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13454 posts
3588 upvotes
Montréal
Scote64 wrote: If you don't see the "Sign in to WiFi network?" notification, try turning WiFi on your phone off and on again. That usually triggers the prompt for me.
I tried doing that but unfortunately it's not foolproof, some wifi are just too difficult to find the login page trigger.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Jan 6, 2019
51 posts
26 upvotes
Most websites these days will automatically try to load the HTTPS/SSL version. Some free WiFi login pages don't work when you browse to a secure website. To get around this, you can load up a page that does not enable HTTPS by default.

Try going to neverssl.com in your browser and see if that triggers the WiFi login page for you.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1385 posts
492 upvotes
Try going to www.xxx.ca or .com where xxx is the place you are at. Works for me most of the time to get to the login page.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1306 posts
744 upvotes
Barrie ON
I have found that a notification appears in the notification bar of my device. It says something similar to "website is requesting login". Clicking on the notification brings me directly to the login page. Note that notification bar must be dragged down to see the message.

A well designed captive portal should always redirect your first browsing request to their login page, but not all of them do.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8601 posts
1072 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Does anyone have problems logging onto the various login pages in order to use the mall's, restaurant's, etc, free wifi? It rarely automatically pops up when I open my browser, so either it takes ages of me messing around trying to access various pages in order to trigger their login page or it fails to appear. Not sure if there's a foolproof way. Only work-around is I bookmark places I frequent so I load up their webpage immediately and login, but ofc this doesn't work for new places.

Type in 192.168.1.1 and that login page will come up pretty quick.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27298 posts
12930 upvotes
Some captive portals are just terrible.

Also helps if you know of a domain that is specifically insecure so the captive portal can hijack it properly.

I set up an IP tester on my own domain (ie ip.dmn.tld) that's insecure for an ancillary purpose of getting hijacked.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1891 posts
534 upvotes
Scarborough
You can go into the wifi setting and tap on that free wifi and in the next screen there should be a sign in button.
Koodo
Tangerine
Simplii