None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1488 posts
538 upvotes
YVR, BC

Harder to dispute credit card charges?

Is it just me or are others noticing that banks are making it harder to dispute charges?

Last week I had about $2500 charged to my visa from some travel company in Texas - I promptly contact my bank and let them know these are no authorized and I would like to dispute and chargeback, I got a big explanation that the bank would contact the merchant and if the merchant does not object the charge can be rejected etc? if they object than a big affidavit etc needs to be completed etc? in the meantime I pay - can they not check and see how the charges were made? I thought they had all these great fraud detection and algorithms etc

This week I had to dispute a charge with Tangerine - on hold for 15 mins while they put me through to 'fraud dept' where I explained a merchant who already billed me in May and was paid - put through the same charges again this month! I contact the merchant and he agrees.....Tangerine tell me they have to contact the merchant and again is he agrees then the charges can easily be reversed but if he does not then again I have to prove everything? any merchant can just disagree to any dispute?

Wasn't it easier to dispute charges before?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2012
2025 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto, ON
604nation wrote: Is it just me or are others noticing that banks are making it harder to dispute charges?

Last week I had about $2500 charged to my visa from some travel company in Texas - I promptly contact my bank and let them know these are no authorized and I would like to dispute and chargeback, I got a big explanation that the bank would contact the merchant and if the merchant does not object the charge can be rejected etc? if they object than a big affidavit etc needs to be completed etc? in the meantime I pay - can they not check and see how the charges were made? I thought they had all these great fraud detection and algorithms etc

This week I had to dispute a charge with Tangerine - on hold for 15 mins while they put me through to 'fraud dept' where I explained a merchant who already billed me in May and was paid - put through the same charges again this month! I contact the merchant and he agrees.....Tangerine tell me they have to contact the merchant and again is he agrees then the charges can easily be reversed but if he does not then again I have to prove everything? any merchant can just disagree to any dispute?

Wasn't it easier to dispute charges before?
Your post is so confusing.
1. Report it to the bank.
2. Ask them to waive interest charges on the $x amount as you did not make the purchase for the up to 60 days that the investigation may take.
3. Provide any evidence you may have
4. Wait up to 60 days.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1595 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
Just out of curiosity how many charge back claims have you filed in the past year? I think I've only ever had to dispute one charge and the other one Amex fraud dept actually called me to tell me there was fraudulent charges. The charge back was simple for me. The CC company said they would contact the company and that they had 40 days to recognize the charge back and dispute in which case it would then go through an investigation. I was told the amount I was disputing would be refunded immediately but if the merchant disputes my dispute and they ruled in the merchants favor I would be liable to payback the refund and it would show up on my bill.

Maybe, and I'm saying this with no knowledge about your prior history, if you filed multiple charge back's for whatever reason (whether you were at fault or not) they've flagged your account for further inspection/investigation? Just a theory.

What seems odd here with the 2nd situation you're in... If the merchant agree's that they double charged you, why wouldnt the merchant reverse the charges on their end vs having you file a dispute? Disputes that are ruled in the clients favor reflects negatively on the merchant. Enough disputes like that and the merchant may have their account temporarily disabled for accepting X card.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1080 upvotes
I've had to make a claim for fraudulent charges. It was no big deal. They canceled my card and sent a new one. The charges were reversed within 2-3 days of me calling I had to file an affidavit but that was really just a form I signed saying that I didn't make the purchase. The affidavits is partially used to prosecute someone if they manage to find out who made the purchase.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1488 posts
538 upvotes
YVR, BC
gqbluez wrote: Just out of curiosity how many charge back claims have you filed in the past year? I think I've only ever had to dispute one charge and the other one Amex fraud dept actually called me to tell me there was fraudulent charges. The charge back was simple for me. The CC company said they would contact the company and that they had 40 days to recognize the charge back and dispute in which case it would then go through an investigation. I was told the amount I was disputing would be refunded immediately but if the merchant disputes my dispute and they ruled in the merchants favor I would be liable to payback the refund and it would show up on my bill.

Maybe, and I'm saying this with no knowledge about your prior history, if you filed multiple charge back's for whatever reason (whether you were at fault or not) they've flagged your account for further inspection/investigation? Just a theory.

What seems odd here with the 2nd situation you're in... If the merchant agree's that they double charged you, why wouldnt the merchant reverse the charges on their end vs having you file a dispute? Disputes that are ruled in the clients favor reflects negatively on the merchant. Enough disputes like that and the merchant may have their account temporarily disabled for accepting X card.
I've disputes before all valid and from fraud......called in and charges reversed quickly - in the last two cases from the past 2 weeks it seems quite different both are obvious nothing too challenging to understand and corroborate on their ends.

The first case - I checked my account online and it had 4 multiple charges from some US company - all the charges identical, I called in and let RBC know they were not authorized and look like fraud - the rep tells me its a travel or timeshare type company....regardless I tell him they are not authorized and who puts through 4 identical charges? anyone looking at the charges would recognize them as fraud especially the card owner.

The second case is even more of a pain in the rear! the merchant put through double charges after one month claiming the first charges didn't get approved? statement shows that they were paid on the first charges - so now he says he made a mistake....OK now the bank wants to contact him to verify and he says no mistake? Basically sounds like he is trying to double charge customers hoping they don't check statements?

I will always dispute any charge that is not made by me or not authorized - I could care less if the bank or c/c think I do it too much, I'm not paying for fraud........my point is that it seems like they want to make the process harder at least I feel it is getting that way.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1595 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
604nation wrote: I will always dispute any charge that is not made by me or not authorized - I could care less if the bank or c/c think I do it too much, I'm not paying for fraud........my point is that it seems like they want to make the process harder at least I feel it is getting that way.
Oh, totally, and I'm right there with you. I certainly didn't imply anywhere that I thought you shouldn't dispute. If I dont recognize a charge I would always dispute it also. Fortunately for me I've only ever had to file a chargeback once and it wasn't that it was fraudulent, but it was one of the "services not received as promised" type deal... which I won. F you Renaissance hotels!!

Anyway what I'm saying though is, whether the charge back's are legit or not probably doesn't matter to the bank. If a client repeatedly files charge back's the bank probably has some kind of system set up to flag those frequent chargeback types is all I'm surmising.

So maybe the first couple they let through no problem, refund, and close the case. Then the next couple they scrutinize a bit more, and then the third couple of times they make you pay first and then refund you later when you're proven right. So you may be very right that it is in fact getting harder to file a a charge back because they are starting to scrutinize your claims a bit more. Again, just a theory. I do not work for any CC company and don't know what their policy is.
Apr 2, 2009
851 posts
231 upvotes
The second charge makes no sense whatsoever. If the merchant agrees that is a billing in error why is the merchant just not crediting back your card?
it takes literally all of 30 seconds and all merchants have the ability to give a refund on someones card.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1488 posts
538 upvotes
YVR, BC
Momof3cuties wrote: I've had to make a claim for fraudulent charges. It was no big deal. They canceled my card and sent a new one. The charges were reversed within 2-3 days of me calling I had to file an affidavit but that was really just a form I signed saying that I didn't make the purchase. The affidavits is partially used to prosecute someone if they manage to find out who made the purchase.
they haven't even cancelled the card......
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1488 posts
538 upvotes
YVR, BC
colossk wrote: The second charge makes no sense whatsoever. If the merchant agrees that is a billing in error why is the merchant just not crediting back your card?
it takes literally all of 30 seconds and all merchants have the ability to give a refund on someones card.
merchant is a contractor, not a retail location - took card info on paper and submitted charges.....I think the merchant probably double bills customers, that's how it looks to me - I have all the info to prove my part....so you would think Tangerine would skip with all the ridiculous time wasting
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1488 posts
538 upvotes
YVR, BC
gqbluez wrote: Oh, totally, and I'm right there with you. I certainly didn't imply anywhere that I thought you shouldn't dispute. If I dont recognize a charge I would always dispute it also. Fortunately for me I've only ever had to file a chargeback once and it wasn't that it was fraudulent, but it was one of the "services not received as promised" type deal... which I won. F you Renaissance hotels!!

Anyway what I'm saying though is, whether the charge back's are legit or not probably doesn't matter to the bank. If a client repeatedly files charge back's the bank probably has some kind of system set up to flag those frequent chargeback types is all I'm surmising.

So maybe the first couple they let through no problem, refund, and close the case. Then the next couple they scrutinize a bit more, and then the third couple of times they make you pay first and then refund you later when you're proven right. So you may be very right that it is in fact getting harder to file a a charge back because they are starting to scrutinize your claims a bit more. Again, just a theory. I do not work for any CC company and don't know what their policy is.
I don't have a lot of chargebacks - anyone with a credit card would notice this charge as fraudulent in seconds, I just recall before that a dispute and chargeback were quite easy to deal with and request.....it does seem to me know that the banks and c/c want to make it more difficult.......they should be able to assess a dispute better and to categorize them more effectively from obvious fraud to a retail charge acknowledged by the card holder - especially with all the state of the art fraud detection technology.
Dec 22, 2007
763 posts
398 upvotes
Mississauga
if you know the merchant go back to them to reverse it.. should take a few days for the refund to hit your card. if they do not your credit card company need to do it.. if you are getting pushback escalate