• Oct 18th, 2019 3:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1807 posts
776 upvotes
Mississauga

Hardwood Floor Upgrade For Condo

I have a condo closing soon 550sqft. While going through the upgrade options, I was wondering what would be best to select for flooring?

For standard (no additional fee) option, the flooring is engineered hardwood but it's very thin, 4" wide, they said may last 5 years before you need to replace it.
The sales person suggested an upgraded flooring engineered hardwood white oak 5" wide and is much thicker for $5000, and will last more than 5 years.

If I'm planning to make it a rental property, is it worth the hardwood floor upgrade?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4373 posts
781 upvotes
i would not do the upgrade, lots of wear and tear, tenant may not take care of it. it also depends how long you will keep the rental property, i would only consider it if you flip it short term. long term, if the standard option wood becomes really bad you can get them replaced with the $5000 you saved.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14442 posts
10695 upvotes
For a rental, don't get the upgrades. Keep your money, if anything happens down the road, then replace the floors.

Prefer laminate for rentals. More durable.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2018
2916 posts
5189 upvotes
Toronto
Any upgrades you do probably don’t increase rent, so you are basically subsidizing your tenant by improving their finishes. Builders are salesmen, they just want more money. I’d pass. In the future you can always hire contractors to upgrade for you for probably a fraction of the cost.
Called the bottom.
Oct 26, 2007
313 posts
185 upvotes
You are lucky the standard is engineered hardwood... usually they cheap out and go with very thin laminate.
Nov 26, 2012
324 posts
282 upvotes
Toronto
Absolutely don’t do it. There is zero ROI on upgraded flooring. Also never heard of anyone changing their engineering hardwood floor after only 5 years unless it was trashed or flooded. Lol what a lying salesperson.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1693 posts
607 upvotes
Calgary
If a sales person tells you that an engineered hardwood floor would only last 5 years I would simply refuse any other sort of upgrade at this point. First off these products have a useful life of 15-20 years. Secondly is he really going to charge you almost $10 per sqft for hardwood floors? i have changed from carpet to hardwood for much less than that.