• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2021 9:12 am
[OP]
Nov 11, 2018
162 posts
58 upvotes
London, ON

Hardwood flooring with bathroom tiles

I'm looking to replace carpet with hardwood/engineered. Got suggestions to go for 3/4th inch thickness so as to come upto the same height as tiles.

What are the options for building up the subfloor? I know the transition will be noticeable but what do you guys do?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4979 posts
1612 upvotes
So go with 3/4" hardwood

or add a 1/4" OSB subfloor and 1/2" engineered HW

This is pretty straightforward
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3844 posts
2992 upvotes
Toronto
You haven't said how much you need to build up the subfloor or why. If it was recommended to use 3/4" hardwood to be the same height as some adjacent tile, then that should be the end of it (most hardwood is 3/4" thick).

What is the current subfloor? Plank? Plywood? OSB? How thick is it? Easy to figure this out by going to one or more of the heat registers and seeing what's going on under the carpet.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2018
162 posts
58 upvotes
London, ON
the math is straightforward i agree, but given the cost of wood/lumber and subfloor now, i think the cost would pretty much even out, right? 3/4th" engineered wood vs subfloor + thinner engineered wood?
Sep 12, 2017
169 posts
115 upvotes
kaddu747 wrote: the math is straightforward i agree, but given the cost of wood/lumber and subfloor now, i think the cost would pretty much even out, right? 3/4th" engineered wood vs subfloor + thinner engineered wood?
Yes you're absolutely right. The cost of the underlayment plus the cost of labour to install it is going to be higher than the cost difference to go with a full 3/4" hardwood.

CHM
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1005 posts
458 upvotes
GTA
If you want to save money on hardwood, find out what’s on clearance.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2018
162 posts
58 upvotes
London, ON
lamin wrote: If you want to save money on hardwood, find out what’s on clearance.
Yeah, went that route. Haven't found what the wife likes "rolling eyes", so far. Keeping my eyes open
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3088 posts
1371 upvotes
Mississauga
What height do you have near the staircase trim. When I did mine I had to re-subfloor the bedrooms when we took out the carpets.. so that the hardwood flows from the foyer (matching the staircase nosing trim height) into the bedrooms without transitions and they are level with the bathroom tile.

It added another $1500 to the project (early 2019 pre covid) .. and 28 sheets of 3/8 ply ... but the outcome is worth it.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3844 posts
2992 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for the Hardwood Flooring Store on Victoria Park. I've been buying hardwood flooring there since my first home in 1994. Always seem to have what I need and I've never paid more than $6 per sq ft for the material.

Most recently I bought 1200 sq ft of 3/4" solid birch Preverco, and before that a mix of 3/4" solid and engineered Preverco oak for the house.