• Oct 9th, 2019 9:30 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2263 posts
1018 upvotes
Alberta

Hardwood install - Truly Random or Repeat Pattern

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. I am putting hardwood in the entire house and the boxes of hardwood come with about 4-5 different lengths. My installer asked me if I would like to do TRUE Random or have the pattern repeat every 5th row. Essentially the first row will be the same as the 5th row, the second row will be the same as the 6th row etc etc.

He is not charging me any extra to do random vs repeat pattern .
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16189 posts
17622 upvotes
Oakville
abc123yyz wrote: Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. I am putting hardwood in the entire house and the boxes of hardwood come with about 4-5 different lengths. My installer asked me if I would like to do TRUE Random or have the pattern repeat every 5th row. Essentially the first row will be the same as the 5th row, the second row will be the same as the 6th row etc etc.

He is not charging me any extra to do random vs repeat pa
I don't think you would want truly random, as it could result in semi repeating patterns. I would describe what you probably want as visually random, or patternless. That's what I like. The worst is when I see the same boards next to each other, or semi repeating patterns.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2263 posts
1018 upvotes
Alberta
engineered wrote: I don't think you would want truly random, as it could result in semi repeating patterns. I would describe what you probably want as visually random, or patternless. That's what I like. The worst is when I see the same boards next to each other, or semi repeating patterns.
Ok so there would be a pattern then, pattern will be repeated every 5 rows
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1594 posts
762 upvotes
When you open the boxes, group all the identical sizes. I personally mustve had 6 varying lengths. It'll be easy for you to randomize.

Pattern repeats are only nice at the malls or if you have herringbone. At home you really need to randomize if you dont want your home to look like a mall boutique
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2263 posts
1018 upvotes
Alberta
Biscayne05 wrote: When you open the boxes, group all the identical sizes. I personally mustve had 6 varying lengths. It'll be easy for you to randomize.

Pattern repeats are only nice at the malls or if you have herringbone. At home you really need to randomize if you dont want your home to look like a mall boutique
Lol!!!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16189 posts
17622 upvotes
Oakville
abc123yyz wrote: Ok so there would be a pattern then, pattern will be repeated every 5 rows
I think you misunderstood me. My preference is visually random, no pattern.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3702 posts
2656 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Unless the room dimensions were exactly the length of the combination of a set of boards, (not beyond possible, but highly unlikely), I don't see how this would be possible without throwing away lengths. Normally, you'd get to one end, cut, the last board and use the off cut to start the next row. This minimizes waste. I'd question whether your installer was trying to expedite the install by tossing away a larger percentage of flooring to make it faster for him.

As far as the look goes, hardwood should be random (unless you want it to look like laminate).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6646 posts
2252 upvotes
GTA
MrFrugal1 wrote: Normally, you'd get to one end, cut, the last board and use the off cut to start the next row.
Agree, the offcuts might not be used on following row but decent sized lengths are used to help make the pattern random. Add in any bump outs contributing to the boards being random and 5 different board lengths give a random pattern. Unless OP misunderstood the installer he should watch him closely-might be his first install.