• Feb 24th, 2018 12:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1348 posts
862 upvotes
CALGARY

Hardwood vs Laminate vs Vinyl flooring

This is for our new house for which we are going through design studio selections. We were told Vinyl is water proof and way easy to maintain than hardwood. We have 2 toddlers and we thought its a nice option. Is this considered a downgrade from wood flooring?
Also, on a different note builder is providing 8mm underlay with 5lb density. Should we consider 10mm and 8lb for an extra $1100?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33563 posts
7233 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Definitely get hard wood flooring. Yes it is harder to maintain, and you have to be careful with scratches. But you will enjoy it a lot more than vinyl flooring

I consider laminate to be a down grade from hardwood and vinyl to be the worst. I would rate ceramic tiles higher than vinyl
Jan 3, 2013
563 posts
202 upvotes
Winnipeg
May I suggest you check out Google for more information. A lot of people here will give personal opinion but perhaps not facts.

First two toddlers are going to destroy the place. Maybe not smash holes in the wall but they'll be dragging and dropping toys. Sliding chairs around. Pushing objects everywhere.

Now that your thinking about just imagine your hardwood floors all messed up. Better get out the sander for a big repair. Now I understand you can buy hand scraped flooring to hide that but it's still going to chip which can't easily be fixed. It's also not water proof. Miss a spill? Dishwasher leak? Washing dishes? Or maybe you'll be like me.. your child breaks their femur and you have to do large special baths on your kitchen floor as they have a special cast and you need two adults to help. Good luck getting your hardwood floor soaked.

Vinyl has a come long way. Way easier to repair. Great appearance. Cheaper but in some cases more! Waterproof. Got animals? Great!

I'll stop there but honestly please read more and should visit a flooring store or two. If your building a home ask your home builder who is supplying each floor so you can go to their store instead of your builders designer store. That way you're speaking with the true flooring expert.

Good luck,
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1348 posts
862 upvotes
CALGARY
zeon64 wrote: May I suggest you check out Google for more information. A lot of people here will give personal opinion but perhaps not facts.

First two toddlers are going to destroy the place. Maybe not smash holes in the wall but they'll be dragging and dropping toys. Sliding chairs around. Pushing objects everywhere.

Now that your thinking about just imagine your hardwood floors all messed up. Better get out the sander for a big repair. Now I understand you can buy hand scraped flooring to hide that but it's still going to chip which can't easily be fixed. It's also not water proof. Miss a spill? Dishwasher leak? Washing dishes? Or maybe you'll be like me.. your child breaks their femur and you have to do large special baths on your kitchen floor as they have a special cast and you need two adults to help. Good luck getting your hardwood floor soaked.

Vinyl has a come long way. Way easier to repair. Great appearance. Cheaper but in some cases more! Waterproof. Got animals? Great!

I'll stop there but honestly please read more and should visit a flooring store or two. If your building a home ask your home builder who is supplying each floor so you can go to their store instead of your builders designer store. That way you're speaking with the true flooring expert.

Good luck,
Thanks for the update, we found the Vinyl looks and feel pretty nice and similar to the hardwood. I never lived in a hardwood house, so cant tell much the difference. I remember my old colleague mentioning about steam mopping his floor changed the texture of the hardwood. With kids 7 months and 3 yrs old, I think we will go ahead with Vinyl.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4849 posts
1390 upvotes
Hardwood
Engineered Hardwood
Plank Vinyl
Tile
Laminate
Sheet Vinyl

In that order. All have their pros and cons. None of them are "waterproof" or indestructible regardless of what anyone tells you.

Toddlers don't stay toddlers forever. So basing your flooring decisions on that is foolish (IMO)
Let's hug it out
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7245 posts
4481 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Gee wrote: Definitely get hard wood flooring. Yes it is harder to maintain, and you have to be careful with scratches. But you will enjoy it a lot more than vinyl flooring

I consider laminate to be a down grade from hardwood and vinyl to be the worst. I would rate ceramic tiles higher than vinyl
I would choose luxury vinyl planks above laminate any day. We had luxury vinyl planks on the top floor (hallway and bedrooms) of our last place and loved it. Looked like wood, felt warm on the feet, and very resistant to damage from water (or anything else really). With our two dogs it was great. The main floor was hardwood, and while I would never have removed it to put in vinyl, the hardwood definitely took much more of a beating and showed more damage.
Dec 24, 2009
33 posts
5 upvotes
Nanaimo
I used engineered hardwood throughout except for the kitchen family room. I used luxury vinyl tile there. I would have loved the look of hardwood everywhere but every time there is a spill or kid or dog issue I am glad i got the vinyl.
Feb 5, 2018
11 posts
1 upvote
I agree with zeon64 here. People have their own experience with these products.Check the advantages and disadvantages of hardwood floors and vinyl floors on Google. I don’t think it’s a downgrade. I believe money saved is money earned. Moreover, vinyl tiles are more pocket-friendly compared to hardwood floors. Cheers!
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1538 posts
1197 upvotes
Toronto
I would say either hardwood or engineer hardwood..for the durability and look...The ease of maintain as well...I have tiles only in the kitchen...
Feb 24, 2009
107 posts
21 upvotes
We used glue down 2.5mm luxury vinyl plank maple wood style for the maintenance free, durability and waterproof specifications. We live in a rural area near woods, lakes, mountains, work a lot outside and can get in/out of the house many times a day. If you also have children, cats/dogs or a home office you will really appreciate this kind of floor ! If scratches appears in some years, just take a heatgun, remove the plank, put a new one and voilà !
Nov 17, 2013
97 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Hardwood is natural and can be finished with natural oils as well. Depending on manufacturer laminate/vinyls are full of toxic chemicals.

Laminate/vinyl will wear down and take a beating, so down the line you will have to pay for removal, new material and install. Although a lot of the laminated look very close to hardwood I feel the vinyl is too plastic/cheap looking.

I recommend vinyl for commercial units and basements.

Solid hardwood, will take a beating but can be sanded and refinished down the line which will cut costs of purchasing new material.

Going with a wire-brushed, handscrapped and matte or satin sheen will definitely help out with the wear and tear from the kids and once they grow you can refinish to a flat smooth finish.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3093 posts
1216 upvotes
I am doing a custom addition and major reno where cost is not a huge concern. I am stuck in the same debate between vinyl and hardwood. I had hardwood in my last house and hated the maintenance. My suggestion is to lay out a box of luxury vinyl and live with it out for a month to see how you like it.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.