Harmony 659 Remote $29.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2009 11:49 am
49 replies
May 10, 2008
302 posts
37 upvotes
mhaven98 wrote: This is refurbished.
Wow.. And the award for stating the most obvious fact goes to this guy... Congratulations ...
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1047 posts
22 upvotes
I was able to find a BNIB and never opened one during last sale. But YMMV.
Feb 24, 2004
175 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
YMMV of course but my Father-in-law bought this from FactoryDirect here in Ottawa. First one didn't work. Returned it for a 2nd. It worked but the keys didn't light up when you push the light bulb button. Returned it for store credit.
Sep 26, 2005
43 posts
3 upvotes
great remote for this price - my infant broke the last one (short circuit with his slobber I think), I tried to live without it, that lasted two weeks before I caved and replaced it
May 6, 2007
783 posts
293 upvotes
659 is flakey.

Harmony is great but 659 is very prone to breakage. Even if you look at it the wrong way it will stop working.

Opt for a newer model.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
4163 posts
692 upvotes
Pickering, ON
hpidc2 wrote: Wow.. And the award for stating the most obvious fact goes to this guy... Congratulations ...
Um, it's not in the thread title or post, so it's completely justified that he points it out.

Nice try, though. :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
2159 posts
370 upvotes
Caledon, ON
trucanuck wrote: 659 is flakey.

Harmony is great but 659 is very prone to breakage. Even if you look at it the wrong way it will stop working.

Opt for a newer model.
I've had mine for 4 years without a problem, and I have looked at it several ways - I guess none of them were the wrong one :D
May 16, 2003
580 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
Somehow I knew this was going to be factory direct.
-Sean
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4820 posts
920 upvotes
Georgetown

Opt for a newer model.
The 659 is a TANK. I have had mine for many years... it has even been thrown into a wall (putting a huge dent in the wall I might add) and survived!

I got a Harmony One as a gift to "upgrade" my 659 - and frankly, we use the 659 half of the time because the Harmony One seems more flakey!! Sometimes it fails to charge correctly, it re-sets itself frequently losing the current "state" so you can't control anything until you turn that activity back on (shooting the remote into the couch so no signals actually register to the devices), etc.

the 659 is amazing...
Jan 11, 2006
109 posts
15 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I have 2 of these units from FD that work just fine.Occasionally there is a small glitch but easily corrected.Just make sure to check unit before leaving store.Cannot go wrong for $29.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1607 posts
828 upvotes
My parents have had a 659 since 2004. It's held up fine.
Their 659 is fully functional.
For those who say newer models are better, I bought a Harmony 360 in 2006 and mine has 4 buttons that no longer work.
Always in search of a great deal....
Oct 5, 2008
212 posts
37 upvotes
hpidc2 wrote: Wow.. And the award for stating the most obvious fact goes to this guy... Congratulations ...
ass
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2004
1666 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal

Opt for a newer model.

I've had mine for 2 years without issue. It has fallen on the floor several times without damage.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
1232 posts
294 upvotes
Does this one recharge? Or do you have to replace the batteries often?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2004
1666 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
i-rui wrote: Does this one recharge? Or do you have to replace the batteries often?
it takes 4 AAA. I use enloops and I made the mistake in my initial setup of having the light come on everytime I push a button.....so the charge does not last as long as it should. Probably charge em every 2-3 weeks, maybe longer, never really keep track. I should change that setting...but I am too lazy to reinstall the software and do it....so lazy.....
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10695 posts
2522 upvotes
Nowhere
I was getting 10 - 12 days on mine initially with eneloops. I have now changed the light setting so I am getting more time. I keep a second set charged at the ready because the batteries die without warning.

Personally, I don't like the buttons on mine. They are great for channel surfing but lousy for programming or precise movements because the buttons jump too far ahead ie you hit it once but it reacts like 5 hits.