Students

Are Harvard and Princeton the only US schools that are worth it for a Canadian to attend?

[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
177 posts
59 upvotes
Canada

Are Harvard and Princeton the only US schools that are worth it for a Canadian to attend?

Approx. 2% of Harvard and Princeton's undergraduate class are Canadian. Is it safe to assume that degrees from these institutions carry some weight in Canada? I believe Dartmouth is the only other school where Canadian enrollment hovers around 2%.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4185 posts
747 upvotes
Toronto
It depends on what you mean by "carry some weight".

Undergraduate degrees from places like Harvard and Princeton are impressive, but they don't provide nearly as much of a career advantage in Canada as they do in the USA. And anecdotally, employment in the USA is a big part of why many Canadian students choose to go to American schools at the undergraduate level, so it may be a moot point anyway.

The proportion of Canadian students in a US school's student body has more to do with admission policies and name recognition than whether it is "worth it" or "carries some weight".
Mar 6, 2015
912 posts
100 upvotes
JHW wrote: It depends on what you mean by "carry some weight".

Undergraduate degrees from places like Harvard and Princeton are impressive, but they don't provide nearly as much of a career advantage in Canada as they do in the USA. And anecdotally, employment in the USA is a big part of why many Canadian students choose to go to American schools at the undergraduate level, so it may be a moot point anyway.

The proportion of Canadian students in a US school's student body has more to do with admission policies and name recognition than whether it is "worth it" or "carries some weight".
If someone has absolutely no idea about Canadian going to the USA for undergrad, where can one start?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4185 posts
747 upvotes
Toronto
cybercavalier wrote: If someone has absolutely no idea about Canadian going to the USA for undergrad, where can one start?
They used to have university recruitment fairs (for US universities) in Toronto. Not sure if that is a thing anymore. Otherwise -- seek out alumni (contact the Alumni Association of the school in question) to speak with people who have been through the process.

Fundamentally, you have to ask yourself what you want to get out of attending a US university for undergrad, and whether it is worth the cost.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5810 posts
2649 upvotes
Toronto
Degrees from the major US institutions carry weight everywhere around the world, pretty much. The question is more along the lines of - does that weight provide good value versus local universities? That really depends on what your goal is and whether cost is at all a concern.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4185 posts
747 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote: The question is more along the lines of - does that weight provide good value versus local universities? That really depends on what your goal is and whether cost is at all a concern.
Agreed. I think many people contemplate US universities without a clear understanding of what they want, or with misconceptions about how the system works and what it provides or doesn't provide.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11293 posts
9796 upvotes
You're not going to Harvard just so you can come back and work for CIBC in Canada LOL
Mar 6, 2015
912 posts
100 upvotes
Why?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!