Automotive

Has anyone done the brake changes on their own? Where to get the brakepads/sets from?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2019 6:03 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 24, 2018
98 posts
16 upvotes
Brampton

Has anyone done the brake changes on their own? Where to get the brakepads/sets from?

I am sure I can do it on my own, on my Honda Civic 2010. I was able to find the rear brake set on Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078XG4DQX) but can't seem to find the front disc set. How has your experience been with doing brake changes on your own? Also I would be curious to know where do you get the spare parts from?
37 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13781 posts
8825 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Buy the parts and find a reputable mechanic that can do the labour.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
16038 posts
4871 upvotes
London
SushantV19370 wrote: I am sure I can do it on my own, on my Honda Civic 2010. I was able to find the rear brake set on Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078XG4DQX) but can't seem to find the front disc set. How has your experience been with doing brake changes on your own? Also I would be curious to know where do you get the spare parts from?
Max brakes $70 for 2 rotor and pads? Good luck
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/anyone- ... m-1490475/

I’d suggest using well known name brand parts (Raybestos, centric, B&A, etc)

Edit- pick the part numbers from rock auto and check on amazon.ca . Sometimes the price is the same or cheaper
Last edited by l69norm on May 3rd, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2737 posts
1970 upvotes


Rockauto....
Get Centric rotors and pads (premium line)
Plus get an AC delco disc hardware kit.

Will also lube
Smash that like button!
Member
Mar 8, 2016
205 posts
41 upvotes
I’ve installed max brakes for people who just want to get new brakes and the car is older or if they want drilled and slotted for cheap. Those prime choice brakes are same cheap quality but a bit more expensive than max brakes. Amazon has free shipping so it’s ok.

Rockauto brakes are good all brands but shipping and import. So you can use rockauto to get the model and search amazon for them.

Good brakes last a while, cheaper ones are good also if you are willing to change every two years.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4027 posts
4158 upvotes
GTA
I just got Centric and Brembo parts for a 4-wheel brake job off Rockauto. $330 including shipping and customs.

Less than 1/2 the price of OEM, and better quality than anything I can find locally.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 2, 2006
5995 posts
671 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Also remember to borrow a brake tool kit. It makes it easier plus you can return the toolkit.
--
Member
Sep 7, 2007
263 posts
115 upvotes
Woodstock
If you've never done brakes before, make sure you have all the right tools. Also, make sure you get ALL the parts you may need. Brake kits usually include stuff like the proper grease, but not various shim pieces that may fall apart.
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1315 upvotes
I've never done brake changes before and I did a big brake kit upgrade on a BMW with an electronic ebrake. It's not too hard if you have some common sense, watch a lot of YouTube videos, take your time and have the right tools.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1598 posts
796 upvotes
6mthatch wrote:


Rockauto....
Get Centric rotors and pads (premium line)
Plus get an AC delco disc hardware kit.

Will also lube
This looks quite straight forward. For anyone who does their own brake jobs... Is this YouTube video a realistic portrayal of the task?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35263 posts
21250 upvotes
Center of Universe
bizzyseller wrote: This looks quite straight forward. For anyone who does their own brake jobs... Is this YouTube video a realistic portrayal of the task?
Simple as that.
Jr. Member
Jan 31, 2008
149 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
bizzyseller wrote: This looks quite straight forward. For anyone who does their own brake jobs... Is this YouTube video a realistic portrayal of the task?
There are a bunch of videos on YouTube but chrisfix is the one I’ve relied on the most. I also agree with 6mthatch’s suggestion on buying Centric Premium rotors and Centric posiquiet pads. I believe the pads already come with hardware, but check the Rockauto website for those details.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 24, 2018
98 posts
16 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks guys. I am gonna place an order from rockauto and will go by your recommendations. Highly appreciate the insights.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1007 posts
407 upvotes
Down votes are from machanics who don’t want people to know brakes jobs are easier than they seem.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2737 posts
1970 upvotes
pmdenterprises wrote: There are a bunch of videos on YouTube but chrisfix is the one I’ve relied on the most. I also agree with 6mthatch’s suggestion on buying Centric Premium rotors and Centric posiquiet pads. I believe the pads already come with hardware, but check the Rockauto website for those details.
I've always suggested AC delco hardware kits as in my experience, their tolerances are correct for OEM replacements. Now, I have used raybestos and have had issues with tolerances being not on spec and having issues.
Smash that like button!
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13126 posts
1958 upvotes
Toronto
I replace pads and rotors by myself and for friends. It's easy.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2477 posts
478 upvotes
is it nevessary to change the hardware.. are we just talking the backing plate or the slot kind of things in which the pads slide?
some good pads don’t come with the hardware.. like these
https://www.amazon.ca/Akebono-ACT914-Pr ... B000C1OX00

some that come ( like Wagner) don’thave good reviews ..then what to do
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16049 posts
8921 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Buy the parts and find a reputable mechanic that can do the labour.
I've found that a good reputable mechanic may be able to source parts as cheap or cheaper than the average consumer... It might not be worth sourcing some parts yourself.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16049 posts
8921 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kkkat wrote: Down votes are from machanics who don’t want people to know brakes jobs are easier than they seem.
Not necessarily so. When my brother found out that I was replacing the brakes myself, he went into a bit of a panic mode thinking that brakes are to 'vital' for me to attempt to change. I suspect that there's a lot of people out there who don't trust their skills and in turn frown on other people developing those skills.

Top