Home & Garden

Has anyone effectively gotten rid of grubs?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2018 10:20 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes

Has anyone effectively gotten rid of grubs?

I got some extensive lawn damage by what seems like grubs...parts of my lawn look like a sandbox. Just wondering if anyone has effectively been able to eradicate them from their lawn using products readily available in Canada like neem oil? I've been looking into this and it doesn't seem like there's anything effective.

I don't like using chemicals if I don't have to but it's pretty bad. I'm going to the US in a couple of months...only thing is I'll be flying so not if it would be a good idea to try and bring anything back.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
hierophant wrote: I got some extensive lawn damage by what seems like grubs...parts of my lawn look like a sandbox. Just wondering if anyone has effectively been able to eradicate them from their lawn using products readily available in Canada like neem oil? I've been looking into this and it doesn't seem like there's anything effective.

I don't like using chemicals if I don't have to but it's pretty bad. I'm going to the US in a couple of months...only thing is I'll be flying so not if it would be a good idea to try and bring anything back.
I've had success with using nematodes like Grub Busters. They are natural parasites to grubs and leatherjackets. But you have to time the application well - usually in the fall.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.grub ... 67801.html
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Grubex from the states. I've used nematodes and so have my neighbours... According to many studies, it's only 40% effective (ie only kills about 40% of them) which may be enough depending on the number of grubs you have.
Nov 30, 2015
453 posts
242 upvotes
GTA, ON
I had used Nematodes last Fall and this Spring and found that it made an improvement but did not totally eradicate the buggers. You do have to search around to find a supply of nematodes in the Fall as lots of places are out of stock. Check the use by date as well when buying.

I believe that I will never be able to eradicate them because of a specific tree I have on the lawn. It's a Linden tree and apparently the Japanese beetles are attracted to linden trees. They feed and mate up there and then lay their egg in the ground below. My neighbours lawn on the two sides of me are fine.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
lazybummer wrote: I had used Nematodes last Fall and this Spring and found that it made an improvement but did not totally eradicate the buggers. You do have to search around to find a supply of nematodes in the Fall as lots of places are out of stock. Check the use by date as well when buying.

I believe that I will never be able to eradicate them because of a specific tree I have on the lawn. It's a Linden tree and apparently the Japanese beetles are attracted to linden trees. They feed and mate up there and then lay their egg in the ground below. My neighbours lawn on the two sides of me are fine.
Apparently milky spore powder is effective for only Japanese beetles. Have you tried that?

Anyone tried neem oil?