Home & Garden

Has Anyone ever seen the ridgid r4520 go on sale

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2020 12:41 am
Jan 15, 2017
155 posts
26 upvotes

Has Anyone ever seen the ridgid r4520 go on sale

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a table saw to try my hand at woodworking and have decided on the ridgid r4520 from home depot. It's a fairly new saw I believe, so I'm not sure if it's ever been on sale, but it had a predecessor called the r4512 which was around for years, so I'm wondering what kind of sales there have been/will be, if any, on the either the 12, or 20? And if none, I guess I'll have to pay full price. Thanks
8 replies
Oct 21, 2009
538 posts
669 upvotes
The R4512 was on for $350 in the summer. Probably to clear out stock and make room for the R4520.

I was shopping for a new table saw in the summer, and when I saw this sale, I called around and nobody had any in stock. I did find a used R4512 on Kijiji for $350. It was well maintained, came with 3 cross cut sleds, and zero clearance blade inserts. I was happy with the purchase, and the cross cut sleds are very useful. I highly recommend making some.

About a month after the sale, I did see a couple of these saws being returned to Home Depot. One of the associates said that they were returned because the tops were warped.

The saw is very good. The casters are very handy in moving it around. Most of the sawdust tends to gets pushed down, keeping the garage clean. Mine did not come with a riving knife, I have been meaning to look for one, but the kickback is minimal. My biggest knock is the fence, which is hard to keep parallel to the blade when moving it. I measure the front and back 3 times each before locking it in, and once more after. This saw if defiantly better then any job site saw, and majority of contractor saws within the price range. The LSA is a huge plus too.

If you have some time, either wait for a sale on this, or look for a used one. With the savings you could upgrade the fence and you will have a saw for life.

Also, you said you want to try woodworking. Do you have any experience? If not, you may want to try a jobsite sized saw first. The Ridgid R4518 or Dewalt DWE748 are good saws. They won't damage your wallet as much.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2130 posts
1854 upvotes
GTA
So as stated above by @Bart_ the older model did go on clearance. I've seen the older model go on sale for $50 or $100 off, but thats about it. Its generally a great deal for a saw, however you do have to put in some time to tune up everything and I have heard a ton of issues with manufacturing, so you might be lugging that 250lb back to the store to get another one. Might be worthwhile to check a few parts before you leave the store.

And just to echo @Bart_ , do you have a dedicated space for the saw to go? Its generally a pain to move around. Also, what kind of work do you see yourself doing?

I'd just also like to take this time to point out the table saw is by far the most dangerous tool in your shop, so take some time to educate yourself on the ways it can seriously injure or kill you.

This said a lot of the smaller contractor saws can do close to the same thing, are cheaper, and a lot more portable/can be stored away a lot easier if you're not going to have a full time workspace. The dewalt's can be had on sale for less than half the price and the rack and pinon fence is amazing and great for beginners.

Happy hunting.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
I have a 4512. It was a huge pain to get square and setup (I feel like I spent 2 nights on it) but since have had no issues with the fence 1/2” or max to the right away from the blade.

Dust port on the bottom sucks when you have a dust collector, but its good to hold down dust if you dont.
Jan 15, 2017
155 posts
26 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: So as stated above by @Bart_ the older model did go on clearance. I've seen the older model go on sale for $50 or $100 off, but thats about it. Its generally a great deal for a saw, however you do have to put in some time to tune up everything and I have heard a ton of issues with manufacturing, so you might be lugging that 250lb back to the store to get another one. Might be worthwhile to check a few parts before you leave the store.

And just to echo @Bart_ , do you have a dedicated space for the saw to go? Its generally a pain to move around. Also, what kind of work do you see yourself doing?

I'd just also like to take this time to point out the table saw is by far the most dangerous tool in your shop, so take some time to educate yourself on the ways it can seriously injure or kill you.

This said a lot of the smaller contractor saws can do close to the same thing, are cheaper, and a lot more portable/can be stored away a lot easier if you're not going to have a full time workspace. The dewalt's can be had on sale for less than half the price and the rack and pinon fence is amazing and great for beginners.

Happy hunting.
Thanks. Maybe I am better off getting a portable one, and I do know how dangerous table saws are, which I guess is why so many people buy the sawstop. Unfortunately they're very expensive. Which brings me to something. Do you know if the jobsite sawstop saws are worth the money? I know the cabinet saws are great, but I dont know much about the jobsite ones. And do you know if sawstop products ever get discounted significantly? I think there isnt a person out there who wouldn't feel safer with one of those regardless of there level of experience with table saws.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2130 posts
1854 upvotes
GTA
Greg8642 wrote: Thanks. Maybe I am better off getting a portable one, and I do know how dangerous table saws are, which I guess is why so many people buy the sawstop. Unfortunately they're very expensive. Which brings me to something. Do you know if the jobsite sawstop saws are worth the money? I know the cabinet saws are great, but I dont know much about the jobsite ones. And do you know if sawstop products ever get discounted significantly? I think there isnt a person out there who wouldn't feel safer with one of those regardless of there level of experience with table saws.
At the wood shows and year end sales there are usually floor model sawstops on sale. This said, you're still looking at easily $2k+++ for the saw.

In regards to the contractor saw stop saw. Will it save your finger? Yes. Will it stop kick back? No.

All in all, most of the sawstops are great saws, and they offer safety. There is also a nice Festool saw out in the EU with sawstop tech, but it does not look like its coming here anytime soon.

Sadly, in terms of table saws, I can only comment second hand on a lot of things. I don't have room in a dedicated space for a big cabinet saw setup.

I used a Track Saw, MFT, and I have the dewalt 8" cordless table saw really just for ripping when I need it.

Then I have my cordless mitre saw setup with a a really nice portable Kreg fence and extension table with stops, for accurate, repeatable production works.

So all in all, I don't have a "real" table saw, and don't feel like I need one. I do lots of cabinetry, wardrobes and builtins.

So again, as I always say, you need to figure out what your need your tool or tools to do, and then figure out what fits that bill.
Jan 15, 2017
155 posts
26 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: At the wood shows and year end sales there are usually floor model sawstops on sale. This said, you're still looking at easily $2k+++ for the saw.

In regards to the contractor saw stop saw. Will it save your finger? Yes. Will it stop kick back? No.

All in all, most of the sawstops are great saws, and they offer safety. There is also a nice Festool saw out in the EU with sawstop tech, but it does not look like its coming here anytime soon.

Sadly, in terms of table saws, I can only comment second hand on a lot of things. I don't have room in a dedicated space for a big cabinet saw setup.

I used a Track Saw, MFT, and I have the dewalt 8" cordless table saw really just for ripping when I need it.

Then I have my cordless mitre saw setup with a a really nice portable Kreg fence and extension table with stops, for accurate, repeatable production works.

So all in all, I don't have a "real" table saw, and don't feel like I need one. I do lots of cabinetry, wardrobes and builtins.

So again, as I always say, you need to figure out what your need your tool or tools to do, and then figure out what fits that bill.
Well what I'd like to do down the line is build furniture, so I'd want a saw that can make very accurate cuts if possible. First I'll just sort out the garage. Build a mezzanine, cabinets, shelves, benches, etc. Right now the dewalt dwe7491rs is on sale at home depot for $699 CAD. Do you think a saw like that with the rack and pinion fence will be accurate enough to build furniture with? From my research I'd think probably not. Most of what I've read recommends the delta or ridgid hybrid, for budget of less than $1000 anyway. Thanks for your continued help.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2130 posts
1854 upvotes
GTA
Greg8642 wrote: Well what I'd like to do down the line is build furniture, so I'd want a saw that can make very accurate cuts if possible. First I'll just sort out the garage. Build a mezzanine, cabinets, shelves, benches, etc. Right now the dewalt dwe7491rs is on sale at home depot for $699 CAD. Do you think a saw like that with the rack and pinion fence will be accurate enough to build furniture with? From my research I'd think probably not. Most of what I've read recommends the delta or ridgid hybrid, for budget of less than $1000 anyway. Thanks for your continued help.
From my experience rack and pinion is perfectly fine for micro adjustments and accuracy. Also, you can sneak up to a cut pretty easily.

From mine and others experience, Ive found most of the dewalt saws have been pretty good right out of the box. Whereas the rigid may be better bang for your buck and closer to a true cabinet saw, but there have been lots of issues with parts and then it takes a long time to adjust everything just right.

For ripping lumber and what not, you're fine. For ripping large pieces of plywood, you're probably going to need to build out a table or at the very least get some rollers regardless of what saw you get.

So I guess the next natural question is..... how big do you see the projects you are doing being? Are you cabinets small, like 30" by 24" or are you going to be more in the realm of builtins and wardrobes. If its the later and maybe regardless, maybe a cheaper table saw + a track saw might be an option worth considering.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
I personally believe a table saw is a top ten workshop tool. Easily repeatable cuts are yours for the taking with very little effort. If you are cutting panels at all, table saw all the way.

With a nice adjustable sled (that you can make on your table saw) it would replace a mitre saw as well if you only had cash for one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)