Cell Phones

Has anyone had success keeping their plan (grandfathering) when going on contract?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2016 12:57 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 29, 2011
22 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

Has anyone had success keeping their plan (grandfathering) when going on contract?

Hey,

This has likely been discussed before, but has anyone ever had any recent success doing this when calling customer retention? Or close to keeping their old plan for a similar monthly price?

I am with Bell and have had the 6GB data plan for 65$ since I bought my first Samsung Galaxy back in 2010.
22 replies
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
Nope.

Rogers wouldn't do it.

Koodo wouldn't do it.

It never works.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21767 posts
3031 upvotes
Toronto
Nope

Bell won't do it
Virgin Mobile won't do it
Telus won't do it

Keep your old plan on month to month, ask if there are any discounts for BYOP and buy your phone outright

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Jul 18, 2015
267 posts
87 upvotes
Petawawa, ON
ji2o0k wrote: Nope

Bell won't do it
Virgin Mobile won't do it
Telus won't do it

Keep your old plan on month to month, ask if there are any discounts for BYOP and buy your phone outright
I can second Virgin on this one.
Again, buy your phone outright and keep your monthly bill low.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19706 posts
9157 upvotes
Oakville
The best you'll be able to do is switching to a new plan, with retentions "discounts" that are good for a year that you have to call to renew after a year (with the warning that its not necessarily going to be available). And then making sure that those discounts don't just mysteriously disappear some months before the year is up.
Nov 30, 2010
928 posts
276 upvotes
Just buy a new phone outright. You won't get a new plan anywhere close to what you have at that price.
Oct 2, 2014
212 posts
35 upvotes
New Westminster
squadz wrote: Koodo wouldn't do it.
There is no contract at Koodo, you can keep the plan as long as you don't change the plan.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2076 posts
119 upvotes
North York
That plan is really good. I doubt Bell would allow you to renew it. Anybody remember the Fido $56 2GB+unlimited everything plan a few years back? I got it with the $250 Loblaws GC at the Mobile Shop with the Motorola phone if I can recall it correctly. My contract is up in a month, what are the chances of getting Fido to give me the same plan at the same price for another 2 years? I called in once and was told flatly no. She sounded unhappy so maybe she had tough calls prior talking to me. Meh. I will give it another shot. My only concern of letting it go month to month is that they can up the price of the plan without informing me.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
jacobe wrote: My only concern of letting it go month to month is that they can up the price of the plan without informing me.
Pretty sure they have to inform you in advanced. Read the terms.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19706 posts
9157 upvotes
Oakville
inkjoy wrote: There is no contract at Koodo, you can keep the plan as long as you don't change the plan.
jacobe wrote: My only concern of letting it go month to month is that they can up the price of the plan without informing me.
I don't think there's anything in the wireless code preventing providers from changing your plan at any point once you're month to month (your "contract" is technically only your current month)... They still do have to give 30 days' notice before making any changes to your plan. And I'd say it's unlikely to happen, but I recall a Virgin customer posting here in the cell phone forum complaining that they told him he had to re-sign a contract if he wanted to keep his plan... Otherwise they were going to bump up the price. That's a slightly different situation (at least he got to keep his plan), but yeah, definitely something to be wary about. Not much you can really do, though - if they decide they don't want to offer your plan any more, you're pretty much pooched.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2076 posts
119 upvotes
North York
wearysky wrote: I don't think there's anything in the wireless code preventing providers from changing your plan at any point once you're month to month (your "contract" is technically only your current month)... They still do have to give 30 days' notice before making any changes to your plan. And I'd say it's unlikely to happen, but I recall a Virgin customer posting here in the cell phone forum complaining that they told him he had to re-sign a contract if he wanted to keep his plan... Otherwise they were going to bump up the price. That's a slightly different situation (at least he got to keep his plan), but yeah, definitely something to be wary about. Not much you can really do, though - if they decide they don't want to offer your plan any more, you're pretty much pooched.
Yeah, you have to keep an eye on your account. About 10 years ago, I had Fido increased my plan by $2 without warning. The agent said when you go month to month, price increases are likely. I told her I wasn't upset about the price increase as so much as not having warning about it. She restated what she said in different words to pretty say they can change the plan price at anytime when you are not on contract. I checked over every bill I had with her to reinstate that they should have given me a warning a month prior. She passed me on to someone else who said pretty much my price point on month to month can get changed at anytime. It was $2 so I gave up and moved that line to Koodo.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
96 upvotes
jacobe wrote: Yeah, you have to keep an eye on your account. About 10 years ago, I had Fido increased my plan by $2 without warning. The agent said when you go month to month, price increases are likely. I told her I wasn't upset about the price increase as so much as not having warning about it. She restated what she said in different words to pretty say they can change the plan price at anytime when you are not on contract. I checked over every bill I had with her to reinstate that they should have given me a warning a month prior. She passed me on to someone else who said pretty much my price point on month to month can get changed at anytime. It was $2 so I gave up and moved that line to Koodo.
This JUST happened with Virgin. Up $5. I called and was told notification was on my paper bill in April.

I don't get paper bills. So while on the phone with CS, I pulled up the PDF on my account, and there it was. One box, on the 4th page of a bill I don't receive. Was not repeated in the May or June (when it went up) bills.

Explanation given about upgrading service, etc.. I said I get it, just surprised the notification was so crappy. He said I'm not the first complaint and they are forwarding all of them up the chain, so maybe it won't be a surprise in the future. Still a far better price than existing new plans.
Aug 27, 2011
51 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
Astin wrote: This JUST happened with Virgin. Up $5. I called and was told notification was on my paper bill in April.

I don't get paper bills. So while on the phone with CS, I pulled up the PDF on my account, and there it was. One box, on the 4th page of a bill I don't receive. Was not repeated in the May or June (when it went up) bills.

Explanation given about upgrading service, etc.. I said I get it, just surprised the notification was so crappy. He said I'm not the first complaint and they are forwarding all of them up the chain, so maybe it won't be a surprise in the future. Still a far better price than existing new plans.
Yup. I had the same experience. I told them it's quite funny that they sneak it into a PDF on a single line, yet they send me promo SMS's about getting 10% off at a shoe store.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19706 posts
9157 upvotes
Oakville
Astin wrote: One box, on the 4th page of a bill I don't receive.
I assume they send you an email when your bill is ready as all other e-billing providers do, so technically you *do* receive the bill. You just don't read it (like most people, myself included).
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
96 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I assume they send you an email when your bill is ready as all other e-billing providers do, so technically you *do* receive the bill. You just don't read it (like most people, myself included).
I get a text, and then e-mail if I haven't paid in a day or so from the text. It includes a balance, which if it isn't the same as usual, I login to the website to check usage. At no point is opening the pdf of the actual bill required.

So instead of texting or e-mail me the info, or including it on the website or app when I'm checking usage, it's buried in something I would normally never need to look at.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21767 posts
3031 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely sneaky of them to include as a footnote on a bill..

They also have this change buried on their webpage somewhere but it isn't obvious.

Clearly they wouldn't advertise it on the front webpage...not in their best interest.

Though I am sure this will be common practice in future years...once you go off contract, then prices can increase in to encourage folks to lock in new contracts.

They'll justify it as the gazillion dollars they spend in upgrades etc

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Sep 23, 2013
533 posts
545 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Fwiw, telus will let u keep your grandfathered plan and go on contract. The only stipulation is that you gotta up your monthly bill to $70/m via add-ons for the term. From my conversations with friends and rfd, they are the only telco that does this.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19706 posts
9157 upvotes
Oakville
hartzfizzo wrote: Fwiw, telus will let u keep your grandfathered plan and go on contract. The only stipulation is that you gotta up your monthly bill to $70/m via add-ons for the term. From my conversations with friends and rfd, they are the only telco that does this.
So in other words, you're not *really* keeping your grandfathered plan, you're paying $70/mo (minimum) for your plan plus a bunch of add-ons that you don't want.
Sep 23, 2013
533 posts
545 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wearysky wrote: So in other words, you're not *really* keeping your grandfathered plan, you're paying $70/mo (minimum) for your plan plus a bunch of add-ons that you don't want.
I think of it like this: I was going to get the 6s+ somehow. Option A: pay $1160 outright. Option B: pay $500 + (24m x $10 features) + $50 telus unlock = $790

After contract, obviously I remove the $10 features and im back to normal. Now this does nothing for OP cuz he/she is with Bell, but all im saying is that with Telus, savings are possible.