Careers

Has anyone here just said f*** this and changed their career?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2019 10:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10724 posts
1869 upvotes
Toronto

Has anyone here just said f*** this and changed their career?

Long story short, I've been doing what I do for 14 years and quite literally dread going into work on a daily basis working for someone else and am going to start making a business plan for a business I actually want to do/run.

Why? After 14 years (nearly) I feel like I just can't take the bs anymore from certain areas of what I do, this past week I've nearly been hit by (let's just say people not looking where they're going) various types of machinery only to have it shrugged off like nothing is wrong and that I am the one at fault. Trust me there's a LOT of other reasons, that's only one of them.

There's 2 business plans I have, one I can easily do myself unless it gets stupidly busy the other I would need a few people most likely, not sure how to start either of them but am looking into several resources. However I don't plan to just up and quitting and hope for the best, not yet at least for financial reasons (I have an ok amount of savings to live jobless for about 2 years maybe 3 regardless of that).

So, has anyone just said screw it and walked away and gone on to something else?
64 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34535 posts
20576 upvotes
Center of Universe
I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet and if I ever do, it would definitely be some sort of business venture, as I wouldn't leave to go and work for another company.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10724 posts
1869 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet and if I ever do, it would definitely be some sort of business venture, as I wouldn't leave to go and work for another company.
That's what I'm thinking too.

Would much rather work for myself, even though there's more financial risk involved and whatnot. 2 people I've talked to at work about it would be on board for sure if I actually start it.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13605 posts
8557 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
f*** this!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2831 posts
1633 upvotes
I did. I went to culinary school for 2 years and got a job at a golf course. It was an ok job but i couldn't take the hours and the chef was a complete ass. after about 6 months it was getting to xmas time and he told me that I would have to come into work on xmas day because I was the lowest on the totem pole. To be fair, that was true and I probably would have just sucked it up and done it but by that time I was over it and thinking I was done with cooking. So when he told me this I said no. He said "either you are coming in or you are fired" so without hesitation I took off my apron and threw it at him and quit.... it was sweet! one of the best moments of my life up until that point.

I went back to school the next year and went into a industry that I like quite a bit. I still dont LOVE my job but I dont hate it either.

Anyway, back then i was living with my parents and had zero responsibilities so I could quit without thinking twice. Now I am married with a kid and cant do that ever again, but at least I got to do it once!
Got that Fido Account!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10724 posts
1869 upvotes
Toronto
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I did. I went to culinary school for 2 years and got a job at a golf course. It was an ok job but i couldn't take the hours and the chef was a complete ass. after about 6 months it was getting to xmas time and he told me that I would have to come into work on xmas day because I was the lowest on the totem pole. To be fair, that was true and I probably would have just sucked it up and done it but by that time I was over it and thinking I was done with cooking. So when he told me this I said no. He said "either you are coming in or you are fired" so without hesitation I took off my apron and threw it at him and quit.... it was sweet! one of the best moments of my life up until that point.

I went back to school the next year and went into a industry that I like quite a bit. I still dont LOVE my job but I dont hate it either.

Anyway, back then i was living with my parents and had zero responsibilities so I could quit without thinking twice. Now I am married with a kid and cant do that ever again, but at least I got to do it once!
I basically did something along those lines with Tim Hortons, manager was a complete psycho and was basically giving me every task saying women shouldn't have to do them. The owner was even more nuts, got hired at a new place (where I am now) and went into the Tim's the next day, in uniform, changed into my normal clothes and told the owner where to go.

Manager freaked right out saying I can't do this and didn't have an answer that made any sense even remotely when I asked why can't I, I just did.
Last edited by XtremeModder on Jul 6th, 2019 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 7, 2019
195 posts
112 upvotes
I just quit my job not too long ago with no back up plan. I was a legal assistant for almost 10 years but just doing entry level work. I've been thinking about changing careee in the last 5 years but I have no idea what to do with my life so I stayed. I even enrolled myself in the paralegal program, hoping that it will lead me to more opportunities. Then I just realized that it's not a right fit for me that's why I'm not doing well whereas all my colleagues are doing more advanced work. I've already wasted 10 years so I don't want to waste another 10 years and honestly, I'm getting old and don't have a lot of time to waste so I just quit. Now the real challenge is to figure out what to do now.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4121 posts
924 upvotes
Sask.
I did. Got my first degree then worked as a journalist. Way too stressful, crazy hours and people, poor wages.

Went back to school to get my teaching degree, and I love everything about it - was what I should have done in the first place.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4627 posts
2276 upvotes
Toronto
yup.. i use to work at service Canada..indeterminate status as well. nepotism is so blatent in the federal public service. i was tired of office politics. i make so much more money now . and a ton of free time. no regrets.
Full-time Realtor
Sep 28, 2013
644 posts
336 upvotes
I know a guy who did exactly that. He said 'f**k this' and just left and changed his career. IE, he no longer had one after that.

But he was complaining about his job for no real reason whereas it looks like you actually have legitimate reasons and a plan so hopefully you won't fall into the same boat.
May 24, 2007
502 posts
167 upvotes
A lot of my friends are in their early career <5 years and I know a few who has done this and started their business. Not making any real money now but you never know...

I think it is important to build up enough skills, network and maturity before you can do this. Otherwise, you just end up drifting with no real financial safety net doing ‘what you love’...

It is up to the individual to decide when he/she is ready to make the jump. Ie, risk appetite, familial responsibilities, confidence level, industry environment...etc.

Sounds like OP is ready though so good luck!!
Jul 24, 2014
319 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's going to be really hard if it's a decent paying job.
I did exactly that when I was working as a manual labor in a family run furniture making business.

There is one guys always acts like a foreman, keeping an eye on all of us, even though he is just another labor like me, truth be told, he served his purpose to the owner as a spy, even though the lady owner despise him, lol

Long story short, I assembled one side of the cabinet wrong, it's normally handled simply with a hey fix it and everything goes on, but this time this asxhxle walked over to my spot and took the whole thing away from me, smashed my tool on the ground and screamed.

I said fxxk you, and went to the lady quit on spot, well... Both the foreman and the owner wanted me to stay....But I said no

After I quit, that asxhxle were let go like a couple weeks later, I don't know if it's related but he been there for years.

Another time was when my previous team got a kind of new members, somehow my manager was nicer to them, it doesn't mean I was treated bad, no I was respected a lot but never got any promotion or raises, even though I was there many years and doing a good job. Long story short, one of the new guys was the cousin of some big shots, the other was somehow my boss`boss's favorite, at least over me.
None of them were as capable as me, and I was liked and respected by all I worked with. So I started looking, once I found something comparable, I gave the standard 2 weeks notice.

My boss never asked me why, but he kind if know that I wasn't happy, I never said it through.

Couple of months back, after I quit over a year, he had a friend of mine asking me. If I wanted back he kind of said he really regretted that I was not given more incentive to stay.

I really really appreciated his reaching out, but I have to say no...at least for now.

After that I connected to him via linkedin, been very quiet ever since.

By all means, try to keep even the severance professional and respectful, it could be your bridge later on, we are all humans
Index Fund vs Individual Stock..."tigerdemi is a great man" tigerdemi said to himself in his dream.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4627 posts
2276 upvotes
Toronto
JayLove06 wrote: I'm close to that point, to be honest.
Do what makes you happy. look for something else. dont just quit without a plan. easier if you live at home as well.

i quit the federal government but i had another job lined up but nothing is guaranteed in life. sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith.
Full-time Realtor