Health & Wellness

Has anyone here sprained their foot really bad? How long did it take to heal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2019 1:45 am
Apr 10, 2011
875 posts
809 upvotes

Has anyone here sprained their foot really bad? How long did it take to heal?

I was walking down some stairs and missed the last step and tumbled to the floor, twisting my foot in the process. The pain was so bad later that night I went to ER as I thought I broke my foot. X-Rays showed no broken bones and I was told to just rest, ice it and keep it elevated (doctor said compress wouldn't help?)

Fast forward 4 and a half weeks -- I'm still in a lot of pain. It throbs all the time, even when I'm lying down. I am still able to walk on it but if I "overdo" it, I pay for it later on in the day. I am at home with a 3-year-old during the day and work in the evenings. Rest is next to impossible, but I have limited my activity as much as I can get away with. What's concerning is that although I'm not limping anymore (was limping for 3 weeks), it hurts more than it did last week.

I've booked a physio appointment for this Thursday but just wondering if anyone here has ever had a moderate-severe foot sprain (not ankle) and how long it took to heal?

I'm also 30 weeks pregnant and 25 lbs heavier than my normal weight which I'm sure isn't helping either....
27 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
4-1/2 weeks is a long time IMO
To be in as much pain as you say
Cuz it should be getting better not worse
(Especially as they said it was a sprain ... and not broken)

Honestly, at this point in time I would get a second opinion
Including maybe more Xrays
Totally possible they missed something
Apr 21, 2017
90 posts
148 upvotes
Edmonton
hierophant wrote: I think it's fate that I saw this article just today and then your post shortly thereafter. get a second opinion is my advice.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfound ... 2XD7jQKolY
I don't think that will be OP situation unless there's altered sensation in the lower legs prior to the injury.
I can give you somewhat of an input as a ER RN, but first do not take my information as medical advice. The time for ankle sprain to recover depends on which ligament is affected it may take between two to six weeks, but without knowing which specific ligament is affect it is difficult to provide an accurate answer. Your best bet is to see your family physician to see if its healing at expected rate.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
hierophant wrote: I think it's fate that I saw this article just today and then your post shortly thereafter. get a second opinion is my advice.

Ya I saw that news story too.

But THANKFULLY that’s a pretty rare situation ... not the norm

And agree with @yingtsay if anything was ever THAT SERIOUS

There would no doubt be other signs as well
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal

Holy medmal...it's almost like they let it fester for an experiment smh.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Apr 29, 2007
984 posts
670 upvotes
Richmond Hill
4 1/2 weeks is nothing for a moderate-severe sprain especially if you're not resting the leg. I've had ankle sprains that have taken 6-12 months to be pain free.
Apr 10, 2011
875 posts
809 upvotes
fkl118 wrote: 4 1/2 weeks is nothing for a moderate-severe sprain especially if you're not resting the leg. I've had ankle sprains that have taken 6-12 months to be pain free.
Thanks for letting me know. I suspect I will be dealing with this for months and months before it fully heals...
Apr 10, 2011
875 posts
809 upvotes

Yikes! That’s pretty extreme. Don’t think it’s comparable to my situation but yes, always good to get a second opinion. Hopefully the physiotherapist will be able to offer some advice when I see him on Thursday.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
2004 posts
1181 upvotes
London
If it is not improving at all, I would suggest another xray. Sometimes fracture doesn’t show until up to 14 days on xray After that amount of time the xray will pick up calculus formation indicating an fracture. Even with that being said, sometimes a bone scan is required. I’d cancel the pt appointment and see your gp for another xray.
Apr 10, 2011
875 posts
809 upvotes
Drakestar wrote: If it is not improving at all, I would suggest another xray. Sometimes fracture doesn’t show until up to 14 days on xray After that amount of time the xray will pick up calculus formation indicating an fracture. Even with that being said, sometimes a bone scan is required. I’d cancel the pt appointment and see your gp for another xray.
There’s nothing you can do for a fracture though. They would just tell me to do the same thing (ice, rest, elevate). And because I’m pregnant, I’d like to limit the amount of x-rays I get.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
2004 posts
1181 upvotes
London
You could always put a boot on it regardless. There are definitely considerations to take into consideration when pregnant and over exposure to x-ray is certainly one of them. However, exposure is extremely small and highly unlikely to cause an issue with the pregnancy at 30+ weeks. I do appreciate your concern and would perhaps just opt for the boot.

Congratulations on the baby btw!
Apr 10, 2011
875 posts
809 upvotes
Drakestar wrote: You could always put a boot on it regardless. There are definitely considerations to take into consideration when pregnant and over exposure to x-ray is certainly one of them. However, exposure is extremely small and highly unlikely to cause an issue with the pregnancy at 30+ weeks. I do appreciate your concern and would perhaps just opt for the boot.

Congratulations on the baby btw!
Thanks!

I'll stick with the physio appointment and see what he recommends. Will follow up with my GP if needed.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
I was off from work for like 4 months atlwadt due to swelling and pain around the ankle. I also went to the chiro he did some treatment like heat ultrasound or something around my ankle which helped healing by drying up the area (fluid, water) etc it helped.

Someone also recommended foot movement in water tub/bucket (warm or hot), sorta like foot swim it has helped tremendously to many people its good home therapy.
Aug 25, 2006
289 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
Sprained my ankle pretty good just about a year ago running around with the kids in a field when my foot went into a divot in the field .. went down like tonne of bricks. Next morning my entire foot was black and swollen from bruising including all my toes. Not my foot but looked very similar to this pic X rays show no fracture. Diagnosed as a sprain. Couldn't walk or fit a shoe on for about 2 weeks to due pain/swelling. Next 3 to 4 weeks I could walk but very uncomfortable. Stairs were my nemesis. Took atleast two months to get to like 80% normal. It's been over a year now and while 98% fine now it is still more noticeably stiff and sore when I first wake up early morning and start my day.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
If you can find a good Chinese doctor, Dit Da is a good option.
lemmiwinks wrote: Thanks!

I'll stick with the physio appointment and see what he recommends. Will follow up with my GP if needed.
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask in indoor settings if you have cold symptoms.
Apr 10, 2011
875 posts
809 upvotes
Happy to report that my foot is FINALLY starting to feel better. I don't want to jinx it but it's probably 80% better. Almost like it happened overnight. Not throbbing constantly anymore, and I can walk short distances without any pain at all. Have been to 2 physio appointments so far. Maybe that's helping or maybe it's just starting to heal on its own. In any case, I'll continue with the physio until I give birth. I'm so happy there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel after almost 6 weeks of being in constant pain..... Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1209 upvotes
Montreal
Glad you're gettin better.

I sprained my ankle in the exact same manner. Well, I was running down the stairs with crocs.

Ice and elevation are key!

Still today, years, after, this ankle is a bit bigger than the other!
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2916 posts
4473 upvotes
West
Little late to the party... but just FYI a serious ankle sprain can take >12-16+ weeks, so I wouldn't panic at all. Swelling is not too worrying of an indicator past several weeks, and it can last for a LONG time (> 5-6 months) in some cases despite your ankle healing and improving. You are also pregnant, which means you'll hold onto fluids a lot more relative to your normal self. Most people think they've experienced a severe ankle sprain, but anyone who expects one to heal in < 4 weeks simply hasn't experienced one themselves.

Keep up with physiotherapy until your ankle motion returns & you feel comfortable managing your symptoms/daily routines. Make sure it's all good to go before the baby comes, because there is usually no time or drive to rehab things then.

Your GP won't do much more for you at this point. If your ankle is horribly unstable (i.e. you roll your ankle when you walk), which it doesn't sound like it is, the only last thing they'd consider is prescribing a brace or an orthopedics referral, but given your pregnancy status, that would have to wait a LONG time.

Best of luck.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)