None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2779 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto

Has anyone here tried Career Edge?

Anyone here able to provide me with some insight in regards to Career Edge? I've found some threads related to this organization but they are old, and I'm looking for more recent reviews for this website. Thanks.

I tried going through the process, and it asked me to answer some interview questions with my webcam, and some of the questions don't really work for me such as difficulties you've resolved, because I haven't yet had any problems with my current or past jobs before (at least nothing significant).
15 replies
Nov 14, 2012
133 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
As a newcomer I used there services in 2012, the placed me in a financial institute that had almost 25 people referred by them. We used to have monthly calls to share our experiance and receive some coaching/guidance. They placesd me as in intern and at the end i got fulltime job. All the people i knew from my batch got the full time jobs. I have nothing but good things to say about them. My cousin who also came in 2013 tried there services but couldn't get placced. PM me for more specific queries.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5096 posts
3335 upvotes
I hired 5 interns, all of them are very successful in their careers now.

Two of my old managers were CareerEdge Interns 10-12 years ago.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2779 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote: I hired 5 interns, all of them are very successful in their careers now.

Two of my old managers were CareerEdge Interns 10-12 years ago.
I've heard from a friend that her friend had to intern for an entire year and ended up not getting any job offer after her 1 year internship. I don't mind interning, but I feel like 1 year is a little long and I really need to deal with OSAP repayments.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5096 posts
3335 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: I've heard from a friend that her friend had to intern for an entire year and ended up not getting any job offer after her 1 year internship. I don't mind interning, but I feel like 1 year is a little long and I really need to deal with OSAP repayments.
Everyone will have a different experience and depends what you make of it. Nothing is guaranteed in life other than death and taxes.
Apr 12, 2019
1 posts
Do NOT trust these people at career edge. They were calling me non stop and whenever I'd try to say something, they'd talk over me and then hang up and call again!! They'll push an education on you even if you don't want more education! I told them I would take legal action against them for harassing me, and they finally stopped after a few days and me having to manually take myself off of their call list after already telling them twice to do that. Do not call their number!! They will harass you!
Mar 24, 2016
473 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
LizzyK44001 wrote: Do NOT trust these people at career edge. They were calling me non stop and whenever I'd try to say something, they'd talk over me and then hang up and call again!! They'll push an education on you even if you don't want more education! I told them I would take legal action against them for harassing me, and they finally stopped after a few days and me having to manually take myself off of their call list after already telling them twice to do that. Do not call their number!! They will harass you!
well said.
It is not a useful organization.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2064 posts
936 upvotes
Scarborough
My professional career kicked off through Career Edge and i'm very content with where I am right now.

I started off as a junior BSA and am now at a more senior level.

For those who want to get into analyst roles in financial institutions but don't want to go the route of starting at CSR/branch level employee and spend years and years working your way up....career edge can help you land intern analyst roles which can potentially lead to full-time analyst roles. And if it doesn't work out...at least you can put analyst on your resume.

Sucks that people have had bad experiences with them but i know 15+ people who have all gone through career edge and have respectable roles.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2408 posts
764 upvotes
New Brunswick
Career Edge did not help me as an accountant/ financial analyst. It seems great if you are a mis/ comp sci major.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2408 posts
764 upvotes
New Brunswick
jono454 wrote: My professional career kicked off through Career Edge and i'm very content with where I am right now.

I started off as a junior BSA and am now at a more senior level.

For those who want to get into analyst roles in financial institutions but don't want to go the route of starting at CSR/branch level employee and spend years and years working your way up....career edge can help you land intern analyst roles which can potentially lead to full-time analyst roles. And if it doesn't work out...at least you can put analyst on your resume.

Sucks that people have had bad experiences with them but i know 15+ people who have all gone through career edge and have respectable roles.
One doesn't need to be a CSF to work as an analyst in a bank.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2064 posts
936 upvotes
Scarborough
raichu1 wrote: One doesn't need to be a CSF to work as an analyst in a bank.
From personal interaction...many don't know that.
When i interact with folks at the branches of the same institution i work for...many don't know that either. Same goes for folks at the call centres.

I find majority of these roles are usually filled through recommendations from existing employees.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7719 posts
6903 upvotes
A couple of my university friends started off with career edge and got analyst roles at big3 telcos. This was almost 15-20 years ago, all went on to senior management in big3 and big5 companies. So it definitely helped them get started
Mar 24, 2016
473 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
jono454 wrote: From personal interaction...many don't know that.
When i interact with folks at the branches of the same institution i work for...many don't know that either. Same goes for folks at the call centres.

I find majority of these roles are usually filled through recommendations from existing employees.
You are absolutely right. It is all about recommendation and connections.
Once I met a person as Supply chain manager of a company interviewed me for co-op position and guess what his education was Bsc of political science and according to his linkedin he got into this unrelated job right after finishing his political science degree, at the same time he was expecting me to know all the stuff to work there for an UNPAID co-op position!
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2064 posts
936 upvotes
Scarborough
bigmancanada wrote: You are absolutely right. It is all about recommendation and connections.
Once I met a person as Supply chain manager of a company interviewed me for co-op position and guess what his education was Bsc of political science and according to his linkedin he got into this unrelated job right after finishing his political science degree, at the same time he was expecting me to know all the stuff to work there for an UNPAID co-op position!
I know bank directors who have geography degrees and bank BA's who have science backgrounds.
I'm also guilty of referring friends to jobs which typically require a masters but they only have a college diploma...thankfully they're competent =).

Related to this thread....you don't make many worthwhile connections while you are a CSR or at the branch level because everyone else is likely in the same situation. At least as an intern in a corporate environment you are exposed to folks who have significant more leverage in helping your career.

Would much rather hire someone who actually knows what to do vs someone who thinks they know what to do.
Feb 11, 2015
126 posts
26 upvotes
East York, ON
I just signed up with Career Edge. I have uploaded my resume there. I never heard of it before until very recently.

Let's see how it goes for me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5096 posts
3335 upvotes
An old thread bumped up?

CareerEdge still great, used them recently to bring aboard 2 amazing newcomers.