Shopping Discussion

Has anyone purchased vacation package from Sunwing before, are they reliable ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2012 10:55 am
Tags:
None
Dec 13, 2012
24 posts
15 upvotes

Has anyone purchased vacation package from Sunwing before, are they reliable ?

I want to book a vacation package to Cuba and one of my friends refer me here http://www.sunwing.ca/ was wondering if anyone has purchased from here, are they reliable and can I get better travel deal from here?
7 replies
May 20, 2010
801 posts
118 upvotes
I've been on a couple Sunwing trips through Expedia or Itravel2000 and never really had a big problem other than delayed flights a couple times. Last time we were delayed about an hour leaving (they made up 30 min the air though), and a couple years ago we were delayed by 3 hours coming back. Hotel staff was usually friendly, hotels seemed to be what was promised but we did our research ahead of time when choosing one. Haven't been to Cuba though - just Mexico 4 times.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
We used them before to go to Varadero. Pretty much the same as any other company we've used in the past. The 5* hotel and amenities we're f'ing garbage but what can you do...not Sunwing's fault and apparently that's par for the course in Varadero.

EDIT: wow getting PM's already...the dirty, filthy, disgusting, garbage 5 star resort was Iberostar Laguna Azul. :D
Dec 13, 2012
24 posts
15 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: We used them before to go to Varadero. Pretty much the same as any other company we've used in the past. The 5* hotel and amenities we're f'ing garbage but what can you do...not Sunwing's fault and apparently that's par for the course in Varadero.

EDIT: wow getting PM's already...the dirty, filthy, disgusting, garbage 5 star resort was Iberostar Laguna Azul. :D
got it, will keep that in mind if I go there, thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2010
1005 posts
566 upvotes
GTA
We went to Blau Varadero through Sunwing and it was pretty good. It was #2 on Tripadvisor at some point and its price was comparable to everything else.

Flights were on time from/to YYZ. Transfer was fine (We were about last hotel for our transfer but first to be picked up, but can't really change that). The Sunwing rep was decent and the excursions were good. We went on the one-day Havana trip and the catamaran. Not sure if they changed it yet, but in Cuba, they don't accept US-based credit cards (so no MBNA, AMEX, or Capital One), and they put a surcharge on the exchange rate if you use USD instead of CAD.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
Sunwing is "reputable". Just came back from a trip to Mexico. You do get a dedicated rep at your destination. Also, you get meals on the plane and a bon-voyage glass of champagne. Only real complaint is that they charge you extra for reserving seats in advance.
Jan 2, 2012
117 posts
35 upvotes
Booked through redtag for a sunwing vacation to Cuba and stayed at Sol Palmeras. It was a very pleasant stay with clean ammenities and pretty good food. Also had a rep available everyday from Sunwing at the hotel to answer any questions we had. Had no problems with the flight or hotel!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
6412 posts
2624 upvotes
Mort Réal, QC
Yep, it's a successful travel broker. You can deal with them NP.

Of course, I personally prefer to build my own package. You can usually find cheaper flights when you stay 8 or 9 days instead of standard 7 days. Say you leave Monday instead of Sat or Sun where it's more expensive, and you come back on next Thursday or Friday when everone wants to leave but no one wants to come back. Makes both flights much cheaper, and usually compensates for 2-3 extra days of hotel. So your end up having 2-3 mores days of vacation for the same price or cheaper. Once you find the flights you want and the hotel/amenities, you call your local travel agent and have them price match or beat the prices you found on the interweb.

Edit: this probably belongs in the travel forums...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)