Shopping Discussion

Has anyone seen stores with reduced "winter hours"? Noticed it at The Bay

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2023 12:50 am
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 19, 2019
59 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Has anyone seen stores with reduced "winter hours"? Noticed it at The Bay

Was out shopping today at STC, and noticed The Bay had a flyer up saying they have new "winter hours" (whatever that means) effective January 2 (today) of M-F from 11-7, Saturday from 10-6 and Sunday from 11-6 despite the mall hours being Monday to Saturday from 10 to 9 and Sunday from 11 to 7. I thought it might have been just STC but I was at Yorkdale after and they had the same notice up there as well so it seems pretty universal, at least across the GTA.

Has anyone noticed other retailers reducing hours from mall hours? I wonder if this will become a trend, it made sense during the start of COVID. Still, I was surprised when I saw the paper today since, in my opinion, it's trashy for the mall for each retailer to just set their hours (and I don't recall that happening at all before COVID).
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 6, 2006
5494 posts
900 upvotes
Toronto
Years ago when I worked in a major mall they had rules requiring stores to be open during regular mall hours. Anchor stores often did not have to abide by certain rules as they often owned their spaces and did not rent them from the malls.

It could be different now but from a customer service perspective it is best if all stores have the same hours.

I am guessing we will see reduced hours at many places as they try to cut costs and work around having fewer staff available or willing to work.
Sr. Member
Nov 5, 2018
621 posts
720 upvotes
Not a mall retailer, but my local Home Depot always closes earlier in January, February and part of March. Place was pretty dead after 7pm.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7746 posts
4516 upvotes
maldahleh wrote: Was out shopping today at STC, and noticed The Bay had a flyer up saying they have new "winter hours" (whatever that means) effective January 2 (today) of M-F from 11-7, Saturday from 10-6 and Sunday from 11-6 despite the mall hours being Monday to Saturday from 10 to 9 and Sunday from 11 to 7. I thought it might have been just STC but I was at Yorkdale after and they had the same notice up there as well so it seems pretty universal, at least across the GTA.

Has anyone noticed other retailers reducing hours from mall hours? I wonder if this will become a trend, it made sense during the start of COVID. Still, I was surprised when I saw the paper today since, in my opinion, it's trashy for the mall for each retailer to just set their hours (and I don't recall that happening at all before COVID).
That is normal for retail businesses after the big spendings Xmas season which is the slowest months of the year.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23600 posts
22548 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ml88888888 wrote: That is normal for retail businesses after the big spendings Xmas season which is the slowest months of the year.
This

It’s been going on for years / decades …
Guess everyone forgot cuz of Covid the last 3 years
Malls / Stores often have shorter opening hours during January on into February *
Which are their slowest months of the year
(And highest costs for utilities = heat + hydro )

* Things tend to pick up just prior to Valentines Day
And it’s also when new stock … esp clothing starts to appear
And there’s a big push towards Spring / Summer merchandising
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
7808 posts
1822 upvotes
Scarborough
Yep

Noticed a SUBWAY that has now posted winter hrs notice where like they close at 4am and reopen around 6 or 7 am……..used to be 24/7.

Sally’s beauty supply store right nextdoor has closed its location.

Not a good indication of things to come, they really trying hard to bring in a recession
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8636 posts
5592 upvotes
Mississauga
Some economists think we’re already in a recession. The reducing of hours is a natural offshoot.
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2019
783 posts
1004 upvotes
Oilers Country
Our local Bay reduced its hours a few years back, being open late two days a week only now. This always made little sense to me as we are in a "suburban" commuter area where most people don't get home until 5:30 or 6 weekdays, so not much time to shop at the end of the day if you need something. But obviously the company makes its decision based on traffic levels and clearly they decided that the extra expense wasn't justified in terms of staffing costs.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1427 posts
986 upvotes
London, On
Noticed our local former 24/7 McDonalds will now be closed midnight to 5 or 6am.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1821 posts
812 upvotes
GTA
Makes more sense to be 12-9 or 11-8 vs 10-7 right? Time most people finish work around 5... not always easiest to get to mall by 7. I always avoid malls on weekends.

Or maybe enough people work remotely/from home they can sneak out during the day? LOL
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4546 posts
1096 upvotes
Richmond
TorontoWest91 wrote: Makes more sense to be 12-9 or 11-8 vs 10-7 right? Time most people finish work around 5... not always easiest to get to mall by 7. I always avoid malls on weekends.

Or maybe enough people work remotely/from home they can sneak out during the day? LOL
They not Asian. That's why lol.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2005
2633 posts
3644 upvotes
St Clements, MB
An earlier 11am open is condusive to receiving stock distributions delivered by Canada Post, Fedex UPS and Purolator. Most small box mid-mall retailers don't have any of their staff arrive more than 30 minutes before opening.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4546 posts
1096 upvotes
Richmond
maldahleh wrote: Was out shopping today at STC, and noticed The Bay had a flyer up saying they have new "winter hours" (whatever that means) effective January 2 (today) of M-F from 11-7, Saturday from 10-6 and Sunday from 11-6 despite the mall hours being Monday to Saturday from 10 to 9 and Sunday from 11 to 7. I thought it might have been just STC but I was at Yorkdale after and they had the same notice up there as well so it seems pretty universal, at least across the GTA.

Has anyone noticed other retailers reducing hours from mall hours? I wonder if this will become a trend, it made sense during the start of COVID. Still, I was surprised when I saw the paper today since, in my opinion, it's trashy for the mall for each retailer to just set their hours (and I don't recall that happening at all before COVID).
Mall owners don't have a choice if they are hard up for tenants. Plus the Bay is a anchor tenant so they can do whatever.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 16, 2019
604 posts
771 upvotes
Hamilton
TOYS r Us has changed hours closing way earlier now all 7 days of the week !
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2005
2633 posts
3644 upvotes
St Clements, MB
Winter Hours @ Hudson's Bay usually end in March just in time for the President's Discount Event.

Top