Home & Garden

Has anyone successfully eradicated mice from attic?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2021 6:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4136 posts
2913 upvotes

Has anyone successfully eradicated mice from attic?

So my saga still continues with mice in the attic. I brought in a professional over a year ago and what they recommended was sealing up all the exposed spots (even though they can get in a opening a size of a dime) and install in one way doors at certain entry points until I didn't hear any noises and then remove. They did not use any baits (and refused to). It ended up being a waste of money but fortunately I was able to get half my money back and I do have house sealed up from other animals however, I still have mice in the attic. I'm assuming the left in the spring and returned in the winter so they are getting in but I have no idea from where.

I called another pest control company (Abell) and they told me the exact opposite of what the company I used - they said the technique they used was for squirrel removal, mice wouldn't use one-way doors and once they're in there's no reason for them to leave. However, I'm not convinced by this second company because they're charging $400 to put bait stations, they will come 3x during a course of a year (after that too bad so sad if you have more mice). I also think they have a lot of fake online reviews. I read some negative reviews too - especially about mice still inhabiting the space.

So I think it's better I just figure something else out that doesn't involve hiring these so-called professionals but I'm really squeamish (more of phobia) about this sort and don't want to go into the attic and setup bait or traps nor do I want dispose of dead bodies. Is there anything I can do to lure them out without having to enter the attic? Given that spring is around the corner, I'm assuming they'll eventually vacate. What can I do to prevent them from return.

I'm getting desperate here and looking for some constructive advice (not criticisms or insults or tell me to "man up", don't also assume I'm a man lol).
78 replies
Nov 27, 2020
64 posts
273 upvotes
Get a bunch of traps and a jar of peanut butter and one of these to collect your trophies.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pooper-Scoopers/b ... 6292352011

Bait is hit or miss and often these days, not potent enough to work on big infestations due to laws banning harmful poisons. Traps are the only way to go. Glue traps work too but I find them more traumatizing for all involved especially if you already are having issues in that regard. If a tool like the one I linked doesn't help with your phobia, try finding something similar that does help. Not everybody can handle dealing with dead animals. Don't listen to the haters. After you scoop up 1 or 2, you'll get more and more comfortable with it.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4002 posts
1601 upvotes
hierophant wrote: So my saga still continues with mice in the attic. I brought in a professional over a year ago and what they recommended was sealing up all the exposed spots (even though they can get in a opening a size of a dime) and install in one way doors at certain entry points until I didn't hear any noises and then remove. They did not use any baits (and refused to). It ended up being a waste of money but fortunately I was able to get half my money back and I do have house sealed up from other animals however, I still have mice in the attic. I'm assuming the left in the spring and returned in the winter so they are getting in but I have no idea from where.

I called another pest control company (Abell) and they told me the exact opposite of what the company I used - they said the technique they used was for squirrel removal, mice wouldn't use one-way doors and once they're in there's no reason for them to leave. However, I'm not convinced by this second company because they're charging $400 to put bait stations, they will come 3x during a course of a year (after that too bad so sad if you have more mice). I also think they have a lot of fake online reviews. I read some negative reviews too - especially about mice still inhabiting the space.

So I think it's better I just figure something else out that doesn't involve hiring these so-called professionals but I'm really squeamish (more of phobia) about this sort and don't want to go into the attic and setup bait or traps nor do I want dispose of dead bodies. Is there anything I can do to lure them out without having to enter the attic? Given that spring is around the corner, I'm assuming they'll eventually vacate. What can I do to prevent them from return.

I'm getting desperate here and looking for some constructive advice (not criticisms or insults or tell me to "man up", don't also assume I'm a man lol).

400 dollars to have bait laid out 3x doesn't seem bad? Other companies may charge that to put out bait once but come back within 6 months if you still have evidence of mice.

First company does sound like they did squirrel exclusion and not mice.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9665 posts
9119 upvotes
Markham
put some owls in the attic, Problem solved.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4136 posts
2913 upvotes
deals4realz wrote: Get a bunch of traps and a jar of peanut butter and one of these to collect your trophies.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pooper-Scoopers/b ... 6292352011

Bait is hit or miss and often these days, not potent enough to work on big infestations due to laws banning harmful poisons. Traps are the only way to go. Glue traps work too but I find them more traumatizing for all involved especially if you already are having issues in that regard. If a tool like the one I linked doesn't help with your phobia, try finding something similar that does help. Not everybody can handle dealing with dead animals. Don't listen to the haters. After you scoop up 1 or 2, you'll get more and more comfortable with it.
Honestly, thanks for the moral support and understanding - some people can be so unnecessarily judgmental and harsh.
Squirrel99 wrote: 400 dollars to have bait laid out 3x doesn't seem bad? Other companies may charge that to put out bait once but come back within 6 months if you still have evidence of mice.

First company does sound like they did squirrel exclusion and not mice.
$400 would be reasonable if it was a permanent fix, but it's not. They only have a one year guarantee - so yes they will get rid of what's there but they do nothing to stop them from returning. And yes the first company applied a technique for squirrel removal even though I didn't have squirrels - they confirmed it was mice from the onset. This why I cannot trust these companies to be honest or competent.

BTW love the your user handle...not! LOL
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4002 posts
1601 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Honestly, thanks for the moral support and understanding - some people can be so unnecessarily judgmental and harsh.

$400 would be reasonable if it was a permanent fix, but it's not. They only have a one year guarantee - so yes they will get rid of what's there but they do nothing to stop them from returning. And yes the first company applied a technique for squirrel removal even though I didn't have squirrels - they confirmed it was mice from the onset. This why I cannot trust these companies to be honest or competent.

BTW love the your user handle...not! LOL
You can try and find a company that will charge less to just refill bait stations the following year or when you need them after the guarantee is over

Mice can get into such small openings it might be really hard or expensive to seal up every entry point whereas just adding bait every year may be cheaper
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1052 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: So my saga still continues with mice in the attic. I brought in a professional over a year ago and what they recommended was sealing up all the exposed spots (even though they can get in a opening a size of a dime) and install in one way doors at certain entry points until I didn't hear any noises and then remove. They did not use any baits (and refused to). It ended up being a waste of money but fortunately I was able to get half my money back and I do have house sealed up from other animals however, I still have mice in the attic. I'm assuming the left in the spring and returned in the winter so they are getting in but I have no idea from where.

Get a Victor electric trap. Just don't be tempted to look when you empty it out. I did and nearly shat my pants.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4002 posts
1601 upvotes
hierophant wrote: You shouldn't have said that...just reading the churns my stomach. Did the victor electric trap actually work? Are you rodent free?

Is it this one: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/victor ... 1000404128
Trapping works but if you don't seal off every hole, the mice might come back every so often or they may not

Constant trapping or using the right bait could get rid of any new mice quickly if you are diligent about setting them

The poison the exterminators have access to should last about a year before it goes stale, not sure if they are effective at all after that
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15625 posts
16769 upvotes
Oakville
Best way to get rid of them is to just keep setting traps up there. Maybe 3x a year is enough, maybe not. Ideally you want to check every few days to see if the trap is tripped.
If you're squeamish, you can get some hidden kill traps for more money.
https://www.amazon.ca/Victor-M250S-Upgr ... 074Y2PW1X/
https://www.amazon.com/D-View-Touch-Cov ... 00AAZHNGE/
https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Kill-Mous ... 074KNYG79/

I had them in my attic, so I kept setting traps up there until they stopped getting caught. The trap is still up there and I check it once in a while. I also have traps around the house, in my garage, in the basement, just in case they come back.
Last edited by engineered on Feb 12th, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 26, 2019
769 posts
575 upvotes
When I did some work up in my attic there were tons of droppings and dead mice.

After changing/topping up my insulation with cellulose insulation I haven't had a rodent in there to my knowledge, and its been a good 7 years.

It collapses in on itself and self fills, which rodents don't like.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4136 posts
2913 upvotes
Thanks all, I really appreciate all the help and tips.

Looks like this will be an ongoing issue (not a one time thing) so I am determined to get over this fear one way or another as I refuse to pay someone else to do it each year (yep I'm cheap like that).

I will get someone to help me the first couple of times until I get comfortable. I've been able to conquer different fears, this should be no different.
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: When I did some work up in my attic there were tons of droppings and dead mice.

After changing/topping up my insulation with cellulose insulation I haven't had a rodent in there to my knowledge, and its been a good 7 years.

Can you provide more details - do I just search for cellulose insulation? Is it applied on top existing insulation (after cleaning out what's already there)? Any negative impacts? Did you apply throughout?
Stv23658 wrote: I caught 4 mice with an electronic trap like this. My neighbor is currently using it and has caught 2 so far.
Did you just use the one? Does it matter where in the attic it's placed? I would prefer to place it close to the opening so I don't actually have to go inside - I can reach up from a ladder. What about the smell from them being fried? Do you just take the trap directly outside and dump the mouse into the garbage bin and put back?

I'm thinking a combination of the an electric trap and cellulose insulation in the attic and rat poisoning around the house in the fall.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15625 posts
16769 upvotes
Oakville
hierophant wrote: Thanks all, I really appreciate all the help and tips.

Looks like this will be an ongoing issue (not a one time thing) so I am determined to get over this fear one way or another as I refuse to pay someone else to do it each year (yep I'm cheap like that).

I will get someone to help me the first couple of times until I get comfortable. I've been able to conquer different fears, this should be no different.

Can you provide more details - do I just search for cellulose insulation? Is it applied on top existing insulation (after cleaning out what's already there)? Any negative impacts? Did you apply throughout?

Did you just use the one? Does it matter where in the attic it's placed? I would prefer to place it close to the opening so I don't actually have to go inside - I can reach up from a ladder. What about the smell from them being fried? Do you just take the trap directly outside and dump the mouse into the garbage bin and put back?

I'm thinking a combination of the an electric trap and cellulose insulation in the attic and rat poisoning around the house in the fall.
I don't think cellulose insulation repels mice. I had cellulose and they just created trails in it. It think rockwool be resist mice, but it's very pricey in comparison.
May 23, 2006
928 posts
109 upvotes
Vancouver
I think the only permanent fix is to seal all the entry points....easier said than done.

Takes a lot of patient...look at your roof flashing....the exterior sidings near your door/windows....those are the spots frequently with gap

Get rid of tree branches hanging to your roof.
Aug 29, 2019
719 posts
302 upvotes
We have had mice in the attic every winter. When we purchased the house, we even had them in the basement. I quickly found they were coming in around the sewer pipe and patched that. No mice in the basement but they were still getting in my walls and attic until I finally figured out what I had done wrong. I found the entry was still around the sewer pipe where it exits my foundation. I have a cinder block foundation. I sealed up the hole at the inner most wall in my basement but because cinder blocks are hollow and staggered, I realized they're still crawling through the voids in the cinder block around the waste pipe and going up the air space behind my sheathing and brick into the attic.

I opened the hole back up, purchased 3/4 rock (the kind used under the base of a patio) and packed the void inside the broken cinder blocks around the pipe solid with 3/4 stone, greatstuff acting as a glue and layers of 1/4 hardware cloth. Got to pack it in tight so that even if the greatstuff got chewed away, the mice still cant breach the stone and hardware cloth. We've been mice free for 2 years for the first time ever since living in this house. It's a relief not sitting up at night wondering what those critters are chewing through and damaging.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4136 posts
2913 upvotes
Katedontbreak wrote: We have had mice in the attic every winter. When we purchased the house, we even had them in the basement. I quickly found they were coming in around the sewer pipe and patched that. No mice in the basement but they were still getting in my walls and attic until I finally figured out what I had done wrong. I found the entry was still around the sewer pipe where it exits my foundation. I have a cinder block foundation. I sealed up the hole at the inner most wall in my basement but because cinder blocks are hollow and staggered, I realized they're still crawling through the voids in the cinder block around the waste pipe and going up the air space behind my sheathing and brick into the attic.

I opened the hole back up, purchased 3/4 rock (the kind used under the base of a patio) and packed the void inside the broken cinder blocks around the pipe solid with 3/4 stone, greatstuff acting as a glue and layers of 1/4 hardware cloth. Got to pack it in tight so that even if the greatstuff got chewed away, the mice still cant breach the stone and hardware cloth. We've been mice free for 2 years for the first time ever since living in this house. It's a relief not sitting up at night wondering what those critters are chewing through and damaging.
I'm so happy for you and anyone else who is able to get rid of this problem. If I'm remembering correctly, you live in a older home, right? How did you actually figure out that was the entry point (e.g., you saw mice in that area, or took a guess)?

The thing is company I used came by several times to examine the whole house looking for exposed spots. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do any better especially if they're scaling the side of the house and getting to the roof vs a pipe. I do suspect they're coming from the south corner of the house by the eavestrough because that's where I first hear activity in the morning and then I start hearing the noise towards the east-south side side of the house along the same wall by mid-morning. At night I hear the scampering in the north side of the house. Most days this pattern it's pretty consistent, but not always, which makes it more confusing especially since mice are supposedly only active at night but according to Abell they are known to move around throughout the day.

I have to wait until Tuesday (hopefully Home Depot is open for instore shopping then) because even though 42 of these traps are available instore, I don't have the option to select curb-side pickup - it can only be shipped from warehouse to the store or home and wait expected timeline is Mar 1...makes no sense because I'm also buying a ladder, which I can pick-up curb-side. Talked to customer service, they can't explain the stupidity of that either. After almost 1 year they still can't work out the kinks lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5651 posts
3410 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: When I did some work up in my attic there were tons of droppings and dead mice.

Exact same situation for me. R60 cellulose and have not had any more issue.